No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6984552
09/07/20 12:04 AM
09/07/20 12:04 AM
Wyoming
T
ttzt Offline
trapper
ttzt  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
One of my favorite lines ever was about Adriano Morales. Once when Ty Murray was injured and a commentator for the PBR, Adriano was getting ready to ride. Ty said that James Harper had told him that he would rather see one of his bulls run thru a cattle guard than draw Adriano at a bull riding.

LL, your this post got me to looking for other old bull riding clips. While I was looking around I saw that Lecile Harris passed back in February. Back in the 70's and 80's it was comforting to look out over the chutes to see that big old white frown and red nose in the arena. He ended every performance "Dancing" with a bull to Jeramiah was a Bullfrog and it was a great show. Besides being a great bull fighter and clown, he was a great man. He died in his sleep after working a rodeo, at 83 years old.

[Linked Image]

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6984560
09/07/20 12:33 AM
09/07/20 12:33 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

LMBO @ even if you didn't want to! He really was that great of a guy and still is.

As far as great guys- Harris and Coffee were in a league of their own no doubt. Harris played a woman in a skit at Abilene one year and rode a clydesdale. That in itself was funny but I still never figured out how he rigged his 'breasts'. The were obviously water balloons but when the big horse would trot those things would slap the saddle and then the top of his head. He got it up to a lope and they got out of sinc so one was smashing his hat while the other smacked the saddle. We couldn't quit laughing and of course his mission was accomplished. That was back when Vold had that rodeo and Andrews got it the next yr.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6984561
09/07/20 12:36 AM
09/07/20 12:36 AM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

Newsom, Smets, and a huge list of guys that have manage to fly below the radar. Jerry Norton, Ronny and Donny Sparks, Brian White, and a bunch of other saved my personal bacon more than once. Don Yates too but there was nothing 'under the radar' about that cat and never will be. He posted a video on FB jumping a fighting bull at 50. The man still looks like he could compete in a triathlon.

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6984976
09/07/20 06:41 PM
09/07/20 06:41 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
boy that does take ya back, thanks for posting that leftlane. And I agree, that was when they bucked and the best guys riding them. I dont care at all for the PBR.

I hadnt seen anything outta Dusty LaBeth in years, rode in the same youth rodeo association as him

Remember Brent Thurman too, I was watchin the 10th round of the NFR on tv when the bull stepped on his head and killed him.

I always thought Terry Don West was one of the most underated bullriders

Here's a story for ya, reminded me when I saw the "G" man MIchael Gaffeny. when I was 15 years old I entered my first rodeo, drew a bull that had a real reputation for being a buckin son of a gun, he was owned by a stock contractor out of Kansas City.Mo. called Blue River Rodeo Co. Cant remember if the bulls brand was -26 or-29 but they called him Bar Fly. And he was a rank dude! Any how i got on him and nodded my head and went about 3 jumps and got ejected, lol... So fast forward a year or so and the first year the PBR came to Kansas City, I believe Michael Gaffeny was the PRCA world champ at the time and low and behold guess what bull he drew... 'ol Bar Fly, well Gaffeny got on him and lasted about 3 jumps too! Always liked tellin the story of how I took him as far as the world champ! Lol....

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6985129
09/07/20 09:57 PM
09/07/20 09:57 PM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

That is a good story and if Gaffney couldn't ride him, then I guess that bull just wasn't the ridin' kind! I know after being the undisputed BBOY x3 Lil Yellow Jacket needed to draw around G Man or he was gonna get rode like a stick horse to water.

West was every bit as good as any of them- heck he was an old man before he ever went to the big events.

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6985158
09/07/20 10:34 PM
09/07/20 10:34 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

LL,
You been sipping pain medication again?

You're getting all sappy on us brother, and I don't mean maple tree syrup.

blush

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6985174
09/07/20 11:09 PM
09/07/20 11:09 PM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

Naw working odd and long hours and blowing off steam. Maybe a tad- I noticed J Stanton posted about how classy football players used to be and I think we all miss that.

If rodeo athletes take to kneeling I suspect they will get so many whippins they will have a cast on their leg and never want to kneel again

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6985260
09/08/20 07:05 AM
09/08/20 07:05 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

I remember 30 or so years ago;

I was a rabid Detroit Lions fan, and I asked a buddy if he wanted to go to the stadium with me because I had an extra ticket.
He began to harbor on an on about how the Romans had silenced (for 100+ years with success) the masses, who themselves were growing more and more disgruntled with the Emperor and all the mayhem in Rome. In response, Rome commissioned more great games and spectacles in great stadiums the Romans built called Colosseums.

The masses loved these great games, where they could scream, party, and let off stream - as they watched great athletes literally tear at each other. Rome loved these spectacles because it kept the masses minds focused on the upcoming games (and not on Rome). A win for the political and a win for the masses, who were themselves taxed to high heaven under Rome's rule.

We now know history. It wasn't really a win, win for Rome and for the masses. We now know, Rome was in great decay and would be ransacked by a variety of other peoples in a few years, as the people cheered and the political dove deeper into corrupt ways. The masses would be slaughtered or enslaved by various other peoples.

I still remember my buddy telling me, the thing he always remembered about those gladiator games, was that before each match, where athletes had a great chance of killing or being killed - they knelt. To the Emperor, or the grand official of the game who officiated. The kneeling was mandatory and served as a symbol of allegiance, and was the focus more than the games where you may die.

History. Seems like it just keeps repeating.
It all depends on who you knee to LL.
That's always been the case since the garden.

I'm not a Lions fan anymore, but the Mrs. and I really enjoy a good rodeo!!
They knee to the wrong king at all these pro games anymore as we see, but the cowboys still seem to love God and country in that order.

I pray we don't go the way of that pagan nation.

Blessings!
Mark

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6985665
09/08/20 07:30 PM
09/08/20 07:30 PM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

I hope you're right and we don't either but yeah the great games appear to work wonders to coddle the masses.

I never became much of a sports fan just because I always had things I wanted to do besides sit on a couch and stare at a screen for hours and hours.

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6986966
09/10/20 07:15 AM
09/10/20 07:15 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Nice video.Thanks for sharing.

Nevada bound
Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6986988
09/10/20 07:36 AM
09/10/20 07:36 AM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Online shocked
trapper
Outlaw99  Online Shocked
trapper

sw iowa
Looks like the NFR is gonna be in Texas this year. I normally make the trip every year, but with a new baby at home, mama says we got to stay here this year.

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6987113
09/10/20 10:33 AM
09/10/20 10:33 AM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

Tomas and Mack was about the right size for a bull riding but way small for the timed events.

Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6987201
09/10/20 12:10 PM
09/10/20 12:10 PM
sw iowa
Outlaw99 Online shocked
trapper
Outlaw99  Online Shocked
trapper

sw iowa
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Tomas and Mack was about the right size for a bull riding but way small for the timed events.

I agree, but what I really liked was the fact that even the cheap seats, you could see well and felt like you were in on the action.

I see Wade is back healthy and just won in Idaho. I sure hope he can scramble the money to qualify for the finals. Really love watching him on rank horses.

Speaking of wildman, you all remember Larry Sandvick? I guess he’s doin well now in Kaycee building custom riggins

Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters
Re: Boys this was back when they bucked [Re: Leftlane] #6987248
09/10/20 12:53 PM
09/10/20 12:53 PM
Leftlane Offline OP
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline OP
"HOSS"

Good for Larry Sandvick- I was told he was a good dude. As far as Sundell I hope he is healthy I love watching him go at one!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread