No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Filtering pond water for home use #6985151
09/07/20 10:26 PM
09/07/20 10:26 PM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline OP
trapper
ol' dad  Offline OP
trapper

Missouri
Have small cabin on my farm that we currently haul water to every other month or so. I have a 375 gallon tote buried that I pump it from. We just recently had our pond rebuilt and while it was dry I installed a 1" perforated stand pipe in the bottom that is encased by tractor tires in 4' of 3" limestone rock. Its stubbed to a manhole that I buried at the edge of the pond where I plan to install a shallow well pump. There should only be about 1 to 1.5' of lift, then it will push it uphill 50' to the cabin. Probably a 3 to 4' incline over the 50'. I plan to install some type of filter or purification system in between the pump and holding tank.

Looking for advice on what is a good water purification system. Mostly just for showering, flushing toilets, and brushing teeth. We drink bottled water. Its just a weekend place so there is not heavy water use.

I've been looking at the Home Master Whole House 3 stage system https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A3WOOC/ref=emc_b_5_i

and the Aquasana whole house system https://www.amazon.com/Aquasana-Fil...r/dp/B00XAJK0S0?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Anyone have any experience with doing this? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ol' dad

Last edited by ol' dad; 09/07/20 10:30 PM.

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Filtering pond water for home use [Re: ol' dad] #6985179
09/07/20 11:19 PM
09/07/20 11:19 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Why not dig a well?

Re: Filtering pond water for home use [Re: ol' dad] #6985185
09/07/20 11:35 PM
09/07/20 11:35 PM
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
We drank out of a pond for 20 yrs and we are still here. You could run your water to your tank and use it for a holding tank and you can measure your chlorine and add to the tank with accuracy. It would also act as a settling tank. Then have another pump to take it to the house and put you an inline filter that just takes the junk out that didn't settle out in your tank. The simple filters that are a wound up spool of string will work for mud, etc. and they are cheap. Then you can put you in a charcoal filter that will get rid of some of the chlorine. Be sure to put the cheap string filter in first and it will help make the more expensive charcoal filter last longer. You can still drink bottled water and even brush your teeth with bottled water.

I was always careful about what was around my pond , no livestock waste and for sure no dead animals, just common sense there. Always had fish and I'm sure they pooped in the water and a deer now and then.

Some county agency could probably tell you how much chlorine to add to a 375 gal tank.

Last edited by Foxpaw; 09/07/20 11:37 PM.
Re: Filtering pond water for home use [Re: ol' dad] #6985198
09/08/20 12:01 AM
09/08/20 12:01 AM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Seems like a lot of ongoing work compared to having a reliable well water source.

Re: Filtering pond water for home use [Re: ol' dad] #6985276
09/08/20 08:06 AM
09/08/20 08:06 AM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
I have the aquasana one you posted except I have the UV filter instead of the the second carbon tank. Really works well. I use it for lake water at my cabin.

Re: Filtering pond water for home use [Re: ol' dad] #6985337
09/08/20 09:30 AM
09/08/20 09:30 AM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline OP
trapper
ol' dad  Offline OP
trapper

Missouri
Charles, a deep well would cost 10k to 12k and still not guaranteed good water. A lot of deep wells have a similar filtration system on them around here.

Fox paw, my goal is to filter before the holding tank. I don't want to add sediment or dirt to the tank.

Thanks Bernie! Everything I've read about them are good reviews. I'm considering buying that cheaper one I linked to for $400 and then a separate inline UV sanitizer for another $300. It would be a three-stage system that reduces it down to one micron plus UV for under a grand. I think the trade off is that I would have to buy a filter once a year.

Ol dad

"I season my food with hunger"
Re: Filtering pond water for home use [Re: ol' dad] #6985345
09/08/20 09:36 AM
09/08/20 09:36 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by ol' dad
Charles, a deep well would cost 10k to 12k and still not guaranteed good water. A lot of deep wells have a similar filtration system on them around here.

Fox paw, my goal is to filter before the holding tank. I don't want to add sediment or dirt to the tank.

Thanks Bernie! Everything I've read about them are good reviews. I'm considering buying that cheaper one I linked to for $400 and then a separate inline UV sanitizer for another $300. It would be a three-stage system that reduces it down to one micron plus UV for under a grand. I think the trade off is that I would have to buy a filter once a year.

Ol dad

Sounds like a good plan

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread