No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6986657
09/09/20 08:25 PM
09/09/20 08:25 PM
St lawrence county, ny
E
Eyehi Offline
trapper
Eyehi  Offline
trapper
E

St lawrence county, ny
I have never hunted the southern zone but have been invited several times .... Sounds like they are trying to reduce herd numbers there .... Why not allow any legal weapon for more filled tags?

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987007
09/10/20 07:59 AM
09/10/20 07:59 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline OP
trapper
Redknot  Offline OP
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Eyehi, they are not allowing rifles and shotguns because this season has NOTHING to do with managing white-tail deer. This is as ill-thought proposal with many unintended consequences, one of which will be creating more difficulties for trappers trying to enjoy our time afield.

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987013
09/10/20 08:16 AM
09/10/20 08:16 AM
Upstate NY
RP3543 Offline
trapper
RP3543  Offline
trapper

Upstate NY
Originally Posted by Redknot
Eyehi, they are not allowing rifles and shotguns because this season has NOTHING to do with managing white-tail deer. This is as ill-thought proposal with many unintended consequences, one of which will be creating more difficulties for trappers trying to enjoy our time afield.

Agreed. I read the proposal and it's not clear what they're trying to accomplish.(presumably a reduction in herd numbers.)
If you want/need a herd reduction,do a better job promoting Deer hunting, especially to youngsters.
Deer season is long enough.

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987052
09/10/20 09:05 AM
09/10/20 09:05 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline OP
trapper
Redknot  Offline OP
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
What DEC is trying to accomplish (from those that concocted this proposal) is "recruitment and retention" of deer hunters by providing a season during the Christmas/New Year's week so families getting together (home from college) can spend time afield together 'trying to fill leftover tags they could not fill over the previous three months' (okay, that last part is my thought)...

To which I answer: that is what Thanksgiving is for...

I also believe that if the appointed executive staff at DEC, Farm Bureau Public Policy folk, NYS sportsmen/women, NYS Snowmobile Association, NYS Trappers Association, CFAB, FWMB (et al), put their collective bargaining together, perhaps we could use that Columbus Day break for a deer season that included twelve-year olds and the "actual" use of crossbows as an implement for bow hunting.

The latter scenario would go a very long way to recruit new hunters and retain those that we have, while instilling a wonderful family tradition we so desperately need...And as a bonus this season would have real potential to help reduce the white-tail deer herd in parts of NY that need a reduction. And the additional bonus of selling more licenses, which in turn will increase both the State's Conservation Fund and our portion of Federal Wildlife Restoration Funds.....

But instead we have this...A season that will undoubtedly give hunters a bloody nose and two black eyes as we proceed forward.

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987063
09/10/20 09:13 AM
09/10/20 09:13 AM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
I agree that this is an ill-thought proposal and that deer season is (more than) long enough...I sent my comments to DEC. Thanks for bringing this to our attention Redknot

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987132
09/10/20 10:53 AM
09/10/20 10:53 AM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Online embarrased
trapper
Fisher Man  Online Embarrased
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
The deer season in the southern tier is too long as it is. I have lost all faith in DEC decisions. Obviously they have failed at whitetail management. Look at the closed otter season for decades in the Catskills and Mohawk Valley. How about the secret deals with the otter restoration? How about feeding captured otters with contaminated great lakes salmon? How about allowing Adirondack fisher populations to decline while they ran around studying pine marten, a species that's increasing, not declining. When they finally woke up they shortened the season, BUT ON THE WRONG END! And these are the experts? They send out trapper surveys carefully worded to trick trappers into answering in a manner that meets DEC desires. They promote terms like "Trophy" rather than prime. And I'm supposed to have faith???

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987232
09/10/20 12:39 PM
09/10/20 12:39 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
upstate has it right. That's how it all started in some areas back in the mid 80's. Devastated the deer hunting.

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Fisher Man] #6987303
09/10/20 02:46 PM
09/10/20 02:46 PM
NY
whartonrattrappe Offline
trapper
whartonrattrappe  Offline
trapper

NY
Originally Posted by Fisher Man
They send out trapper surveys carefully worded to trick trappers into answering in a manner that meets DEC desires.

And if that's not bad enough they've now convinced the NYSTA JTI president into using these age old surveys to pass them off as the views of NYSTA members.

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987794
09/11/20 06:55 AM
09/11/20 06:55 AM
NY
T
trappermac NY Offline
trapper
trappermac NY  Offline
trapper
T

NY
Here is the DEC listing on this with ways to comment... https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/121333.html
I would hope that trappers, snowmobilers, as well as predator hunters take the time to comment in opposition.

Member NYSTA, NTA, FBU, ECTA
Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987893
09/11/20 09:21 AM
09/11/20 09:21 AM
Central New York
D
Dewey NY Offline
trapper
Dewey NY  Offline
trapper
D

Central New York
I sent an e-mail stating my disapproval..

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6987932
09/11/20 10:03 AM
09/11/20 10:03 AM
UP STATE NY-Not the city!!!
C
chicken Offline
trapper
chicken  Offline
trapper
C

UP STATE NY-Not the city!!!
WOULD LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by chicken; 09/11/20 10:13 AM.
Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: whartonrattrappe] #6987994
09/11/20 11:51 AM
09/11/20 11:51 AM
Henderson, N.Y. Jefferson Co.
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by whartonrattrappe
They send out trapper surveys carefully worded to trick trappers into answering in a manner that meets DEC desires.

And if that's not bad enough they've now convinced the NYSTA JTI president into using these age old surveys to pass them off as the views of NYSTA members.

And that, unfortunately, is the sad & disgusting truth.

JTI Rockwood is complicit in selling Northern Zone Trappers down the river using
those cooked books, misleading trappers survey as his evidence to support it.

Sad & disgusting.

walleyed

"Provisional/Interim" member of NYS Trappers Association
Jefferson Co. Fur Harvesters

I Support Non-Resident Trapping

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6988011
09/11/20 12:20 PM
09/11/20 12:20 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

And that, unfortunately, is the sad & disgusting truth.

JTI Chairman rockwood is complicit in selling Northern Zone Trappers down the river using
those cooked-book, misleading trapper's surveys as his evidence to justify supporting it.

Sad & disgusting.

walleyed

Last edited by walleyed; 09/13/20 10:51 AM.

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6988019
09/11/20 12:36 PM
09/11/20 12:36 PM
NY
R
rendezvous Offline
trapper
rendezvous  Offline
trapper
R

NY
I wish the NYDEC would concentrate on getting my Fishing and Trapping licenses to me. Bought them online August 10th still haven't received them yet!

Let's go Brandon!
Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: rendezvous] #6988328
09/11/20 09:50 PM
09/11/20 09:50 PM
NY
R
Rat_Pack Offline
trapper
Rat_Pack  Offline
trapper
R

NY
Originally Posted by rendezvous
I wish the NYDEC would concentrate on getting my Fishing and Trapping licenses to me. Bought them online August 10th still haven't received them yet!

That blows. I heard too many stories like this, so I bought mine in person at the town clerks office

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: whartonrattrappe] #6989364
09/13/20 11:04 AM
09/13/20 11:04 AM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

I have responded to past trapper's surveys
with questions specifically about fisher seasons
in relation to fur prime-ness but never at the
expense of losing part of the Northern Zone fisher season.

Likewise,
there have never been any questions posed specifically
about muskrat season or the potential LOSS
of a week's worth of rat trapping season.

Had they honestly asked Northern Zone rat trappers
if they would support the LOSS of the 1st week
of Northern Zone Rat season in order to promote fur
prime-ness, they would have had very few takers
except for perhaps rockwood & other fur buyers.

None of the serious Northern Zone rat trappers I know
would ever support it.

walleyed

Last edited by walleyed; 09/13/20 11:05 AM.

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6989428
09/13/20 12:11 PM
09/13/20 12:11 PM
NY
2rivers Offline
trapper
2rivers  Offline
trapper

NY
I have heard there is no market for tiny ,blue October muskrats ,October Fisher or November Bobcats.These season changes are the beginning procedures for a proper southern zone cat and fisher season. As for longer deer season ,i could give a hoot, because most of the larger land owners,who are serious about deer are long done with there deer or they will all get shot off and the DEC will have to shorten the season which would be a bonus.

Last edited by 2rivers; 09/13/20 12:14 PM.
Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: 2rivers] #6989440
09/13/20 12:44 PM
09/13/20 12:44 PM
W
walleyed Offline
trapper
walleyed  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by 2rivers
I have heard there is no market for tiny ,blue October muskrats ,October Fisher or November Bobcats.These season changes are the beginning procedures for a proper southern zone cat and fisher season.

Unfortunately,

DEC, Bureau of Wildlife shortened the Northern Zone fisher season on the December side of the season.

For Muskrat, they want to take away a week of trapping at the front end. Gone, never to return.

Any one wanting to avoid catching any supposed "tiny blue October rats" should avoid trapping that week.

I've got new for you. Buyers don't pay one penny more for rats caught the 1st week of November, than they
do for rats caught the last week of October.

It's all bull sheet, and the bottom line is trappers lose a week of trapping season they will never get back.

This part of the season change proposal is as bad for trapping, and as anti-trapping as any animal rights
activists could ever dream up.

It will do more to harm older trappers, and youth trapping recruitment than any benefit that could
possibly be derived from it.

Again,

very sad and disgusting.

walleyed

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6989458
09/13/20 01:13 PM
09/13/20 01:13 PM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
prolly that dang Tommy Geebo. cry

Re: NYS DEC extending Deer Season [Re: Redknot] #6989778
09/13/20 07:57 PM
09/13/20 07:57 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Online embarrased
trapper
Fisher Man  Online Embarrased
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I have had a part of dealing with DEC via the JTI Committee for many, many years. I've attended meetings from Shackleton Point on Oneida Lake to Blue Mountain Lake to Albany DEC headquarters. When the JTI Committee was first formed we agreed to work cooperatively together for a common goal. With that in mind we were able to divert the DEC threat to mandate padded traps on land, statewide, got legislation passed and signed by the Governor.
Since those days back in 1988 I have seen a change in DEC; with retirements and new biologists coming on board. It appears to me that much of the original JTI agreements have gone by the wayside. Gordon Batcheller warned of new biologists coming out of colleges, heavily influenced by ultra liberal, anti trapping professors. At one of the last BOD meetings that I attended a young female biologist complained that she had to get up at 5AM to attend the meeting.
Back when I was President the head of DEC law enforcement, as well as the Chief of the Bureau of Wildlife attended every BOD meeting. Today you are lucky if anyone from DEC shows up.
In my region, the wildlife manager is strictly a 9 to 5, Monday to Friday guy. I remember a number of Saturday meetings where he failed to show up.
When I left the JTI I managed to get John Rockwood appointed to replace me. He's smart, honest, a gentleman, and trapping smart. I still believe he was the best choice. The man is dedicated to the preservation and improvement of trapping in New York.
What I see today in DEC is a bunch of biologists that are either professor indoctrinated or political kiss a----. I know of only two that I now trust.
Walleyed, you are not the only one that has lost trapping days. As an Adirondack fisher trapper I too lost a week. The biologist that caused that was too busy radio collaring pine marten and working on his phD to recognize or address the decline in Adirondack fisher. I was one of the trappers that complained to finally get his attention.. When he reacted to this he shortened the season, and on the wrong end, and ignored trapper input.His arrogance far outweighs his intelligenge. I thought fisher trappers had a chance when he quit and moved to Florida. His replacement was someone you could work with. Alas he returned and his replacement got shoved aside..Typical DEC behavior, they ignored their own St.Lawrence county fisher survey. They completely ignored the survey I sent to NYSTA members, and instead worked
with Cornell to send out their own surveys to trick trapper responses to go along with DEC wishes.
I do not fault JTI for any of these losses.Along with Dave Liebig as lobbyist, and the JTI Committee they are the best qualified to fight for our rights. We need to support them 100%, not throw stones at them.said to me, "Never give up anything to DEC, you'll never get it back". How very true.
As for me, I voluntarily don't start trapping until fur is prime, even though there is an open season.Frankly I don't agree with trapping blue fur, but I supported you because I don't want to see trappers lose ground, and because I think yours is a unique situation.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread