ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cage trap opinion #6987972
09/11/20 11:07 AM
09/11/20 11:07 AM
North Georgia
JonathonJEB Offline OP
trapper
JonathonJEB  Offline OP
trapper

North Georgia
After reading several threads and a few books. I am thinking of buying this trap. I know it is not the end all do all trap but I would like to know some people's opinions. This will be my first cage. I anticipate getting a few raccoon calls where homeowners have tried to catch it themselves so it maybe trap shy, the occasional ground hog, and probably mostly armadillo calls. I also already have a pvc skunk trap so I dont plan on catching skunks with it but may if I need to. Anyway there are so many options I just wandering some thoughts before I buy.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6987973
09/11/20 11:08 AM
09/11/20 11:08 AM
North Georgia
JonathonJEB Offline OP
trapper
JonathonJEB  Offline OP
trapper

North Georgia
It is 9x11x36.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6988217
09/11/20 06:15 PM
09/11/20 06:15 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
My opinion, it's a great trap and the flush mount does come in handy.. but, if I was going to buy just one of Jim's trap to start off, it would be the multi-purpose one. And see if they now come with the pop-on triggers. I think you would find more uses for this model as not only is it a flush mount, but you can also use it as a nose cone. Another suggestion is to buy the setter for these, once you use it you'll find out these traps are very efficient and easy to set.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6988260
09/11/20 07:28 PM
09/11/20 07:28 PM
South Central PA
oneoldboot Offline
trapper
oneoldboot  Offline
trapper

South Central PA
I ordered the multicatch in mid-July and got word it shipped today. Don't expect a quick turn around. This will be my first and I am looking forward to it.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6988282
09/11/20 08:05 PM
09/11/20 08:05 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
It has been quite a challenging year trying to keep up with orders with covid and fewer employees to make more traps than usual in what has been a busy year. Orders have been shipping slowly, but many orders were shipped today, a good sign and hopefully picking up speed and catching up.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6988305
09/11/20 09:04 PM
09/11/20 09:04 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Those are great traps that will serve ya well but consider Mr Burns advice.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6988334
09/11/20 10:14 PM
09/11/20 10:14 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
I agree that Comstock traps are excellent. I rely on them everyday.

The multipurpose trap would be a great first cage trap. The nosecone system is fantastic. The setter is handy too. Since new to cage trapping, you may consider the animal control device to keep an animal away from the door if transferring an animal to a transfer cage. Once you get rolling in the ADC business you may learn that Comstock traps are even better than you first realized. The new style pop off triggers are great. I am retrofitting some older traps with the new style pop off trigger bar system.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: Willy Firewood] #6988379
09/12/20 02:42 AM
09/12/20 02:42 AM
Canada
U
Urbancoon Offline
trapper
Urbancoon  Offline
trapper
U

Canada
Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
...you may consider the animal control device to keep an animal away from the door if transferring an animal to a transfer cage.

This is a good idea. Especially if you have skunks in the area. When you get to your "Raccoon Trap" and find a skunk it in, you'll be glad you have a way to get the door open and your transfer cage (or your tube trap) in place without worry of the skunk getting away.

And if you have skunks in your area, I'd also recommend making a plan on how to deal with it. I had that experience this summer. First one took me two hours to get into the transfer tube. Second one, a half hour. If there ever is a next one, will be much quicker than that.

As far as cage traps, I have a Bridger that has a door that swings down. Some raccoons will crawl on top of the trap and the door drops down locking the raccoon out of the trap. I'm not an ADC guy so can put up with that, but if I was working a job, that would have been a missed opportunity. Lots of people have recommended Comstock traps here. You definitely want to get something of good quality--lots of videos out there showing raccoons forcing their way out of a cheap trap.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6988431
09/12/20 08:05 AM
09/12/20 08:05 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
For the past 10 years we have outfitted our woodchuck/skunk traps with metal cover/nose cones for positive sets and for a cover for skunks. With the metal covers skunks pretty much don't spray except for a little squirt when I am in a hurry and careless and bang the cage around or try to shake dirt out of the old 1x1 mesh cages with the skunk still in the cage. I extract the essence, so they don't leak much. They seem to be quite comfortable with a roof over their head.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6988440
09/12/20 08:12 AM
09/12/20 08:12 AM
North Georgia
JonathonJEB Offline OP
trapper
JonathonJEB  Offline OP
trapper

North Georgia
I enjoyed talking with you Jim, and I am looking forward to trying out the trap. Also thanks to everyone above with the advice.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6989090
09/12/20 11:34 PM
09/12/20 11:34 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
As cautioned by Urbancoon, raccoons can set off some cage traps from the outside. I use many of the falling door style trap for raccoons, especially baited cages in barns and buildings and set for tearing up lawns. I modify the traps to make them more reliable and to prevent problems and to increase catches. They are very effective for me. However they are not the quality or expense of Comstock traps. I use them because I have them and they work very well for me in certain situations.

I think you will find that the trigger system on the Comstock traps prevents that from happening. After setting a Comstock cage trap, I can turn it over, upside down, and even give it a shake. However the trigger remains solid yet sensitive enough that a chipmunk can fire the trigger. The trigger is dependent upon an animal moving a trigger wire. In fact sometimes it is advantageous to set a Comstock trap on its side and it works fine.

The sheet metal nosecone that Jim describes does work extremely well to funnel animals into the trap and to prevent them from taking a side exit around a trap. And they are excellent to keep an animal calm when carrying it past a customer or others. And the skunk protection is great too.

Remember to consider staking down cage traps. That can be important for many reasons. And consider carrying various supplies with you to stabilize cages to prevent rolling on hills. Like any trap a cage trap should be bedded so that it does not wiggle.

Hopefully you will find cage traps to be versatile and effective.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6990260
09/14/20 12:27 PM
09/14/20 12:27 PM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
If you set a trap on the ground assume you will catch a skunk with it and put a cover over it before hand. I use the old style comstock without the flushed end and catch groundhog,skunk and raccoon in a 9x11x24 our raccoons are small mostly. I use the metal cover/nose cone but would buy a flush end on next order. They work great with set up options others don't give you.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6990920
09/15/20 06:11 AM
09/15/20 06:11 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Hi Kurt - That is excellent advice about covering a trap in advance. But, what do you use for covers? This winter I will be experimenting partially covering some 12x12x36 cage traps using aluminum coil stock. I recently ordered a 100’ roll.

Jim (Comstock) also makes nosecones that have a welded rod frame with cage material attached and the sides are flaps that open so you can slip it onto the end of your 9x11x24 and have very close to a flush end trap. It is a different type but equally useful nosecone.

I use my Comstock flush end traps less than the others. However, there are times when only the flush mount works. That happens mostly when I need to fasten the trap to a wall or ceiling to cover a raccoon used by a raccoon. I use hex head screws with fender washers and go right through the cage. I do something very similar when using squirrel traps for squirrels (obviously) or to catch or preferably exclude birds.

Many times when trapping groundhogs late in the year - because the customer called me late, I catch more raccoons and opossums than groundhogs going into the den. I have caught many large raccoons in my favorite Comstock trap for groundhogs - the 9x11x18. They are really crammed in and sort of unfold when I release them. Fortunately the cage mesh is small enough that the raccoons cannot pull out the grass.

I use the 9x11x18 cage trap most of all. And thanks to Jim for his hearty recommendation about that trap and others.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: Jim Comstock] #6991512
09/15/20 07:52 PM
09/15/20 07:52 PM
South Central PA
oneoldboot Offline
trapper
oneoldboot  Offline
trapper

South Central PA
Originally Posted by Jim Comstock
It has been quite a challenging year trying to keep up with orders with covid and fewer employees to make more traps than usual in what has been a busy year. Orders have been shipping slowly, but many orders were shipped today, a good sign and hopefully picking up speed and catching up.

Received my first comstock, wow! Heck of a trap! Worth the two month wait. I definitely will order more in the future. It's a beast!

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6992546
09/16/20 10:44 PM
09/16/20 10:44 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Hi my friend,

It is great to find a product that is better than expected! Get that trap out there working for you. My wife refers to cage traps as wonderful employees. They are always on time, reliable, and never make a peep.

I keep 2 screwdrivers handy to prop open doors to tighten or replace the trigger wires. Whenever work slows I will be upgrading the trigger bars on a bunch of these traps. On the traps that came with the new system, the pop off trigger wires seem to allow more space for the animals, receive less damage, and are easier to pop back in place.

I finally opened that heavy box from you - thank you. One vise is mounted on a 2” hitch bar and is in the tool box in the back of the Super Duty. The other will be going on a deluxe hunting and fishing gear work bench that I am building for when we move.

best wishes.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6992704
09/17/20 07:44 AM
09/17/20 07:44 AM
North Georgia
JonathonJEB Offline OP
trapper
JonathonJEB  Offline OP
trapper

North Georgia
I ended going with the 36" flush mount and then I got the 3 way nose cone splitter to go with it so that I could make it like the multi purpose trap that some of you recommended. I ended up going this route for all the different uses. One question I have now is what is the best way to attach the nose cone so that I can remove it when I don't need it. I have not seen the trap yet so it may be obvious when I do, but if there are any pointers I appreciate it.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6992735
09/17/20 08:44 AM
09/17/20 08:44 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
I use cheep zip ties instead of wire..

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6992996
09/17/20 03:14 PM
09/17/20 03:14 PM
North Georgia
JonathonJEB Offline OP
trapper
JonathonJEB  Offline OP
trapper

North Georgia
Thanks that is what I will use.

Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6993303
09/17/20 09:58 PM
09/17/20 09:58 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Zip ties sometimes. I prefer short pieces of electric fence wire. Fast and easy. No tool necessary to remove. Pull the nosecone close and with a quick twist of wire it is consolidated for easier carrying up and down steep driveways and hills.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Cage trap opinion [Re: JonathonJEB] #6994810
09/19/20 08:17 PM
09/19/20 08:17 PM
North Georgia
JonathonJEB Offline OP
trapper
JonathonJEB  Offline OP
trapper

North Georgia
Thanks. I will try that also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2