No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6986309
09/09/20 02:04 PM
09/09/20 02:04 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

& Yes- Bob Jameson's Seirra Mist is a good one.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6986331
09/09/20 02:21 PM
09/09/20 02:21 PM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
X3 in Sierra mist

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6987438
09/10/20 06:16 PM
09/10/20 06:16 PM
lea co new mexico
W
wayne52 Offline
Crusty "Old" Wolfer
wayne52  Offline
Crusty "Old" Wolfer
W

lea co new mexico
I started using rub sets to cut down on misses. If made right
Work great on killing lions also.
Kills lots of bad coyotes too

God didn't say it would be easy. He just said it would be.

www.derricks-nm.com

us on facebook
Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Leftlane] #6987678
09/10/20 11:14 PM
09/10/20 11:14 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Mark, for being a smart man I think you must be doing it wrong neighbor. A good rub set works so good IDT I ever miss one.

There are no absolutes LL, but the bobbie cat in fur season is a different cat, especially the males. If they can't breed it or fight it, they keep a lookin'. You get to the expanse of the western states, it's much, much different than here in TX, NM, OK, and LA (I've trapped all of these). Sure, you can catch cats a bunch of different ways, and sometimes that rub spot just screams for a set, but when you're in WY and parts of the badlands of NE/SD/ND, those cats are spread out and you can miss cats and never see them again.

What a female or kitties do at a set isn't always what big daddy (used to be $1,000 papa) does, Not by any stretch. If he can't fight it or breed it, he's got tons of miles to go.... and he'll walk right past a rub set with any goo to get to his prom date.

They're good sets.
I hardly use them in certain areas during certain times of the year.
I've got sets I'm more effective with those times, but I humbly admit, different strokes for different folks!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6987715
09/11/20 01:04 AM
09/11/20 01:04 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Well I ain't never caught 7 cats in a day so I guess I wont sass you too much LOL.

Maybe you should try using shock springs.
grin

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6987808
09/11/20 07:12 AM
09/11/20 07:12 AM
Misery
Michael Morris Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"
Michael Morris  Offline
"Hombre que mata demasiadas cosas"

Misery
Here is another really fun rub set that I learned from Wayne. Nothing better than a plan coming together grin

Wayne Derrick Pelvis Bone Set

Correction: I mentioned in the 1st part I used PV and Pacific Call, but it was Pecos valley and Bullseye.

In my (limited) experience, castor based rub lures tend to get the best reactions both in testing and actual trapping. When I smell one, that is what I am looking for. Most of your best (castor based) beaver lures are great rub lures and vice a versa grin

Last edited by Michael Morris; 09/11/20 10:51 AM.

Push yourself to be more than you were
Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6987811
09/11/20 07:17 AM
09/11/20 07:17 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

^^^^^ that'd be too much skinning for one day bro. 7's my limit.
There was a dog thrown in for good measure too.
Jim Spencer from TPC magazine was riding with me that day, writing up an article, and took the pic, and that man is FUNNY! I mean spitting stuff out your dern nose funny.
We got to call in the border patrol during his three day ride along (they caught 3 drug runners).
We got chased by a herd of mean Addax (big species of "mean" antelope native to Iraq - or at least they were before the wars).
All manner of trapping fun for two trapping loving dudes.

Like I mentioned LL, different strokes for different folks. I do use a few rub sets, most often because I find a spot where the cats are already rubbing. Usually a female. I never find those kinds of spots north of our section of the country however.

Blessings,
Mark

[Linked Image]

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6987952
09/11/20 10:35 AM
09/11/20 10:35 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Mark we seriously need to hang out more when I am around home.

You can show me how to trap and I can school you in the finer points of not running from every hooved vegetarian that looks your way
whistle

[Linked Image]

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6987953
09/11/20 10:37 AM
09/11/20 10:37 AM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

To the original poster- as far as rub sets- they have become one of my go to cat sets so any new rub lure on the market gets my attention. Video like Mr. Morris posted is awesome

(see I am NOT hijacking this post just to pick on Mark b/c he is skinny and everything chases him )
grin

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6988130
09/11/20 03:51 PM
09/11/20 03:51 PM
PA
C
Campgrandview Offline OP
trapper
Campgrandview  Offline OP
trapper
C

PA
I'm loving all of the varying opinions! I'm soaking it up like a sponge. Mark what is your goto Bobcat set a dirt hole?

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Leftlane] #6988176
09/11/20 05:00 PM
09/11/20 05:00 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Mark we seriously need to hang out more when I am around home.

You can show me how to trap and I can school you in the finer points of not running from every hooved vegetarian that looks your way
whistle

[Linked Image]

I heard the market on those is down quite a bit LL. You might want to make brisket outta him. You know how Texans sit straight up for a cold one and a slab of tender brisket.
Oh, and you ever try and outrun those Addax? Momma didn't teach me about those things. They are nasty mean! Caught a young calf once, and the herd of 210 animals was all around it, just waiting on June. It WAS a rodeo.
You're right, I'm skinny. They are beefy.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Rub lure for cats?? [Re: Campgrandview] #6988182
09/11/20 05:10 PM
09/11/20 05:10 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Campgrandview
I'm loving all of the varying opinions! I'm soaking it up like a sponge. Mark what is your goto Bobcat set a dirt hole?

It varies, but if I'm after the males (fur line), I think about the fighting and breeding mindset of Tom;

Visual - bait - lure - turds - urine - kitchen sink. The key to whatever set I use is making all the attractants funnel Tommie to a "step here" spot. I don't like it when the cat will "most likely" get caught = occasional heartache.

Every year at the Academy, I have trappers come in and say, "cats are easy to catch. I'm here to learn about coyotes." I smile grin because somewhere during the week, we'll probably have someone see just how a bobbie cat can walk all over someone's set... and not get caught. I call these; teaching moments.

Blessings,
Mark

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread