Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support PCS Outdoors, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Forum Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Freezer burnt hide #6991557
09/15/20 08:35 PM
09/15/20 08:35 PM
Ely, MN
B
bobcoz Offline OP
trapper
bobcoz  Offline OP
trapper
B

Ely, MN
I have a few hides that were skinned, put in the freezer then forgotten about in the bottom of the deep freeze for a few years that I'm starting to put up. Some of the hides got freezer burnt, some kind of bad. I'm just wondering if these will hold to up to tanning? would they still be ok for garments or better off just for a hide to hang on the wall?

thank you

Re: Freezer burnt hide [Re: bobcoz] #6991680
09/15/20 11:26 PM
09/15/20 11:26 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If you send them to the tanner,fully stretched and dried they should be fine.Should be able to soften them up enough with a damp towell and some scraping to get them on the board to flesh and stretch,
They may be a bit difficult to fully rehydrate for a home tanner.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Freezer burnt hide [Re: bobcoz] #6991919
09/16/20 08:58 AM
09/16/20 08:58 AM
Ely, MN
B
bobcoz Offline OP
trapper
bobcoz  Offline OP
trapper
B

Ely, MN
Thank you Boco

Great tip on the towel to soften them up. I have a few otters that are more work to get them on the fleshing beam cause of the dried out spots than the actual fleshing, I'll try that and see how it works.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread