No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6993819
09/18/20 04:51 PM
09/18/20 04:51 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Thanks for reminding me, I need to mount my scope again on my .308

One thing I don't see talked about is what power is your scope on when you sight in.
Usually I go the lowest setting like 3 but my new Leuopod says to sight in on the highest power which is 9.

Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6993840
09/18/20 05:19 PM
09/18/20 05:19 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the center should be the center at 3 or 9

however I do typically sight in at the highest because I can see the small square better and see my own bullet hols most of the time.

shooting with a very steady rest high power is good cause you can see

but if it is not very steady you can see all your movement and people tend to over correct for it and can be better off reducing the magnification till the image stabilizes some.

hunting I always leave it on the lowest , it is faster and typically hunting shots are not that far away when they are far away you have time to turn the dial.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6993843
09/18/20 05:22 PM
09/18/20 05:22 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
One thing to remember is the kill zone on a deer is roughly the size of a basket ball. So 1 inch high or low at 100 won't matter IF most of your shots are 150 or less and you hold top of shoulder.......

Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: jbyrd63] #6993865
09/18/20 06:20 PM
09/18/20 06:20 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Good read . But those of us that have done it all our lives it looks like you made it complicated to some . LOL

Let me give laymans terms. Mount scope level as best you can. Shoot target size of car hood at 25 yards first. make adjustments. Shoot again. When close move back to 100 yards , shoot again. More adjustments ,go hunt when satisfied. IF you miss paper (size of car hood) at 25 yards . After half a box of shells review mounting procedures.....

A A A m e n!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6993868
09/18/20 06:29 PM
09/18/20 06:29 PM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Pete, you are going to confuse me, I've switched over to Mil lol

then either you are ahead of the curve or completely lost.

but for rough calculation there are 0.3 mill to a MOA so if you need to move 3 moa you need to move 0.9 milrad most milrad optics are 0.1 milrad to the click or the graduation is in 1/10s of a mil

Nah, not lost. When I decided to start thinking about the possibility of some longer range shooting and was looking at FFP scopes I decided to switch to the dark side, aka the metric system. I was and still am a sight it in at a hundred yards and work it out to 200 and never gave thought to MOA or mils. One of these days I'll start working on long range shooting.

Adam, SFP scopes should be shot at the highest setting if one is trying to shoot longer ranges. If one uses a SFP scope at lower settings and has to adjust for distance the math changes.

"Gold is money, everything else is just credit" JP Morgan
Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6993934
09/18/20 07:50 PM
09/18/20 07:50 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Thanks Steven

Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6994073
09/18/20 10:23 PM
09/18/20 10:23 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Three shot sight in for bolt action rifles that are sub MOA.
With a properly mounted scope. Clamp the rifle in a padded vice pointing at a wall about thirty feet away. Place a spot on the wall about where the muzzle is pointing. Then remove the bolt if you haven’t already. Look through the bore of the barrel and adjust the base of the vise and tilt of the rifle until you can see the spot centered in the bore, then look through the scope. If the vertical crosshair is on the spot and the horizontal is about 1” above the spot you are ready to shoot! If not then adjust the elevation and windage. Just like adjusting a front sight if the vertical is to the left of the spot turn the windage adjustment to the left. Same for the horizontal if it’s to high turn the adjustment up. Don’t sound right but that’s the way it is. If you think about it it makes sense. If you have done it correctly the spot will be centered in the bore, like a peep sight and the cross hairs will be like described above.
Now you are ready to shoot.
Off sanbags with the target at twenty five yards aim at a spot you want to shoot. Fire ONE shot. If you have done the things above correctly the bullet hole will be within a couple inches of your point of aim usually less than that . With the rifle clamped in a cleaning cradle, you all have one of those things don’t you, move the cradle and rifle until the crosshairs are on the original point of aim. Then WITHOUT MOVING THE RIFLE adjust windage and elevation until the crosshairs are on the bullet hole. Just like above, up is up down is down left is left right is right.
Now move the target out to 100 yards. Again fire one shot you will be very close to the point of aim. Make your fine tuning adjustment this time adjust in the direction you want the point of impact to move, tap lightly on the scope to settle the adjustments. And fire your third shot for verification and save the rest of your ammo for some field position practice. I have done this with my rifles and customers rifles many many times it flat out works.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: wildflights] #6994158
09/18/20 11:52 PM
09/18/20 11:52 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 44
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 44
Originally Posted by wildflights
Originally Posted by Yukon John
I'd like to know what a good rule of thumb is...like an inch high at 100 yds? I know there are many different scenarios, just looking for a good go to.

A fair rule of thumb- Dead on at 17 yards is close to sighted in for Maximum Point Blank Range for standard deer rifles. If it's one of flatter shooters, that may stretch out to 22 yards. This is ignoring things like the nuances of different velocities, ballistic coefficients and line of sight above the bore. It is a general rule of thumb and is one that I've used for Thirty-some years.

Thank you, this is what I am looking for. I'm not a benchrest shooter, I just want a starting point, and something to "shoot" for so I can adjust my optics when I am hunting, thanks again!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Math of Sighting in [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6994454
09/19/20 09:52 AM
09/19/20 09:52 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Yukon John

I have been giving the general purpose sight in distance for most all hunting more though.

50 yards would be the most forgiving for sight height universal sight in distance figuring most game is taken between 10 and 100 yards

a 308win with irons at 1 inch high or a scope at 2 inch above bore axis you are between zero and an inch high on the target at 100 yards

with 223 form an AR you would be around 1 1/2 inches high at 100 yards (AR rifles typically have high sights 2.5 to 2.75 inches above bore axis)

a shotgun with rifled slugs , probably 3 inches low at 100 but it is really the outside of where rifled slugs are actuate enough to take the shot and good for its usable range

22lr would work

pistol cal carbines would still be effectively sighted in

If I had to pick one distance to set the most guns to a very usable zero for general hunting 50 yards would be it.

as for specialty tools for working on guns or sighting them in a screw driver set with bits so that you fit every screw you turn and can turn them with out marring the screws would be first followed by a inch pounds torque wrench.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09/19/20 09:54 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread