No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993650
09/18/20 11:01 AM
09/18/20 11:01 AM
michigan,USA
S
seniortrap Offline
trapper
seniortrap  Offline
trapper
S

michigan,USA
Right on Pike River. The same process I went through. And by the time I got drafted, I didn't have to have someone tell me which way to point that gun.

Today here in Michigan, you can deer hunt at the tender age of 6!!! The mentality of the DNR here to get them started early.

The deer rifle season is down over 20% of licenses. Bow season is up (earlier and warmer). Plus its gone from a recurve to compound to a rifle style bow (cross bow).

Just to make it EASIER for everyone.....! Now when muzzle loading season is on, you can use any rifle you wish...…! Why is it muzzle season?

It makes it easier for the city people to participate and be able to show the guys at the office!?!?!

Last edited by seniortrap; 09/18/20 11:02 AM.

Vietnam--1967 46th. Const./Combat Engineers

"Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction."
"After the first shot, all plans go out the window!"
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993662
09/18/20 11:19 AM
09/18/20 11:19 AM
higginsville, mo
H
headache73 Offline
trapper
headache73  Offline
trapper
H

higginsville, mo
When I was a kid fishing with my grandpa, I was always scrounging up different lures and whatnot. I remember showing him a new buzz bait I'd sold enough cans to buy. He told me son, most fishing lures are made to catch fishermen, not fish. Took me several years to understand what he meant grin same applies to hunting, in my opinion

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993665
09/18/20 11:28 AM
09/18/20 11:28 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Kind of a form of bragging in this thread lots of I's

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: Scuba1] #6993669
09/18/20 11:34 AM
09/18/20 11:34 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Scuba1
As i can't seem to get a freezer my deer season may get canceled . I can't see myself turning a whole deer into jerky lol

cube and can it is great stuff canned venison

a meal ready to eat in minutes

I am a bad person and canned ground (this is a major canning sin) I could make the drop biscuits and they needed 12 minutes in the oven , in that 12 minutes I could pop the top on a quart of canned ground venison get it warming and use the jar to start the gravy with flour and water , when the oven beeped 12 minutes the gravy was nearly done

meal on.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993688
09/18/20 12:17 PM
09/18/20 12:17 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by charles
I don’t have a Creedmore, a magpull, a muzzle break, a painted stock, a coated barrel, a mill dot scope, or a bypod. I don’t shoot 1000 yards either. Why have I not been skunked a single year in 50 years of hunting. What have I turned in to? Oh my. Surely I am doomed. What must I do. Deer season is a month away.

Nahhh, you should be alright if you hunt from a shack on private ground.

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993692
09/18/20 12:21 PM
09/18/20 12:21 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
while i can shoot much further , I have never shot a deer beyond 150 yards most under 90 yards

if I am picking the perfect deer cartridge 308win is it for me

that said I used my 1966 Rem 742 in 30-06 last year , yes it is loaded to 308 velocities , why cause I don't need more and the gun has some weaknesses I would like to keep using it I bought it when I was 14. I was letting my son use my 308.

most of my deer have actually come with 12ga and rifled slugs from a smooth bore. not really ideal but works well within it's limitations.

you must understand that some people are trying to buy being a better shot. while you can take everything that wasn't you out of the equation it may help if you were what was broken from the beginning it can't help that much.

some of the people trying to buy being a better shot , shoot from a bench only ever because they like to see little bitty groups , this doesn't help you develop as a person

learning to shoot sitting, standing and kneeling even if it is mostly with a 22lr builds you and your ability

my sons first year of mentored hunting was when he was 11 , he had a Mossberg M500 20ga with 26 inch bird barrel and I mounted a 2-7x32 nikon on it for him and we got sighted in it was plenty accurate for deer inside 75 yards .

he hated me so much but once he was on and warmed up I set out 5 targets on stands at different distances we walked down towards the targets that were a white paper plate on the cardboard backer with a big number written in marker on each I would call off a number I would give him about 6 seconds to shoot before I would tell him it had run off no shoot. as he got better I lowered the time I would give him, I was being sooo unfair

watch the target and bring the gun into your sight as you shoulder it one fluid motion safety off , up to cheek in to shoulder , aim and squeeze

buddy deer don't hang around and wait for your perfect aim , we need to make you faster so that they seem slower

you don't have to hit the middle of the middle of the paper plate , just hit the paper plate as smooth as you can smooth is fast ans fast is smooth

his first deer was when he was 12 it ran right at him stopped as soon as it saw him about 25 yards he punched both shoulders and it was down , then he got it , that was what he was practicing for. it was the last drive of opening day.

he has shot a deer every year since 2019 was his first rifle deer and buck a decent 6 point with the bolt action 308.

he had given me a hard time ,"dad, we use 2-7 power scopes on shotguns why are you putting one on the new 308?"
because it will be plenty for hunting distances
"but dad it can shoot so much further than a shotgun"
yes and 7 power is more than enough to shoot 250 yards and you shouldn't be shooting past that without a lot of practice so you will be fine.

He shoots his deer at about 100 yards from sitting on a stump beside a small hay field , " dad , it was perfect at 2X I could see and I put the cross on his shoulder and I could see him go down still through he scope" yes, I guess you had to see it for yourself. I am not so crazy after all am I

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 09/18/20 12:23 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993696
09/18/20 12:32 PM
09/18/20 12:32 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
What are you talking about?

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993703
09/18/20 12:49 PM
09/18/20 12:49 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Good post.

I'm still hunting in the first camo bibs I bought in 1990 for turkeys, and Sportsman's Warehouse brand raingear when it's wet. My wool stuff is from my first moose hunt in the late 90's and my bow is older than that.

But all this gear must be good for some part of the economy. Maybe I'm just cheap, but I'd rather spend my $$$ on the experience than the gear.

Pete

Last edited by swift4me; 09/18/20 12:50 PM.
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993705
09/18/20 12:54 PM
09/18/20 12:54 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Haha Pete, I also still wear 80's camo for turkeys. For Deer, it doesn't matter, we have to wear orange.

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: Yes sir] #6993760
09/18/20 02:58 PM
09/18/20 02:58 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted by Yes sir
On a hunt last year there was a guy in the group whose hunting shirt cost him more than i.paid for my bow. Gospel truth. He had close to 2k in his bow and accessories on it. And he made sure we all knew it too. Guy wouldn't walk more than a quarter mile from the road.

Seems pretty typical to me.

I blame the gear trend mostly on all the media, the shows and podcasts and sponsorships. Here's how it works: somebody starts a hunting show, or podcast, or magazine column or mail-order videos back in the day. When they get popular, the product marketing companies offer them money to do gear endorsements. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it can be deceiving for the novice viewer. A young guy wants to get into hunting so he starts watching shows, YouTube channels and listening to podcasts, and he hears these successful hunters talking about name-brand gear all the time. It results in an inferred message that the success is related to the gear.

In my opinion many of the iconic media hunters of today are doing a disservice to new hunters when they talk more about gear than the things that really matter- scouting, marksmanship, landowner relations, ethics, etc.

I would love to see a show where they interview a bunch of famous hunter and ask them how they started out. I would bet than many, many of today's media stars started out with $20 of military surplus or some leaky hand-me-downs.

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993764
09/18/20 03:14 PM
09/18/20 03:14 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
The current hunting media is pushing DIY public land hunting way harder than the private land giants on a leash standard of 10 years ago. Western big game draws are getting harder and harder to draw as more people flock to the DIY public land hunts.

Quit your whining and hunt the way that you want to hunt. If somebody else wants to drop 10k a year on new gear then good for them. It supports the industry and throws more money into the Pittman–Robertson act fund that benefits all of us.

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: Michigander] #6993767
09/18/20 03:22 PM
09/18/20 03:22 PM
Kenai AK
K
KenaiKid Offline
trapper
KenaiKid  Offline
trapper
K

Kenai AK
Originally Posted by Michigander
If somebody else wants to drop 10k a year on new gear then good for them. It supports the industry and throws more money into the Pittman–Robertson act fund that benefits all of us.

Good point!

Originally Posted by Dirt
Originally Posted by Rat Masterson
Boco couldn't catch a cold.

But if he did, it would be Top Lot.
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993787
09/18/20 03:55 PM
09/18/20 03:55 PM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
You boys that "have never killed a deer over 150 yards" must have never hunted them on pool table flat wheatfields with nothing to hide behind but a stunted cedar tree, dirt clod or clump grass. Shots out to 300 yards are fairly routine around this part of the world with 400 - 500 not being unheard-of most years. My first deer ever was 325 yards and died where he stood. I was 10 years old and had practiced at those distances until my dad was confident I could make the shot. Have killed deer in the canyons with bow and arrow and black powder as close as 8 yards. But around here when the rut is on the deer head for flat country and big fields with adjacent grass to bed in. Long distance is about the only way to get it done unless you are confident that you can army crawl across almost bare ground to get within 150 yards

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: Davisfur] #6993788
09/18/20 03:58 PM
09/18/20 03:58 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Davisfur
You boys that "have never killed a deer over 150 yards" must have never hunted them on pool table flat wheatfields with nothing to hide behind but a stunted cedar tree, dirt clod or clump grass. Shots out to 300 yards are fairly routine around this part of the world with 400 - 500 not being unheard-of most years. My first deer ever was 325 yards and died where he stood. I was 10 years old and had practiced at those distances until my dad was confident I could make the shot. Have killed deer in the canyons with bow and arrow and black powder as close as 8 yards. But around here when the rut is on the deer head for flat country and big fields with adjacent grass to bed in. Long distance is about the only way to get it done unless you are confident that you can army crawl across almost bare ground to get within 150 yards

Heck I'm well on the other of that spectrum and glad for it. I would hate to live in such a place. I think my longest shot was 75ish yards.

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993869
09/18/20 06:30 PM
09/18/20 06:30 PM
west virginia
W
wvmntnhick Offline
trapper
wvmntnhick  Offline
trapper
W

west virginia
Grew up hunting heavily wooded areas where shots were close. Where I live now it’s mostly wide open AG fields. Still get some shots that are close but plenty are going to be 300+. I don’t hunt with a 6.5 creedmoor but I enjoy using some oddball stuff. Not completely off the wall but stuff that doesn’t walk into most deer camps regularly. I’ve gravitate towards a handful of custom rigs that are more accurate than I’ll ever make them shoot. Having said that, it’s not the arrow. It’s the Indian that makes it all come together.

I keep desperately hoping that one day someone will call me "Sir" without adding "please calm down" or "you're causing a scene."
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993877
09/18/20 06:45 PM
09/18/20 06:45 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
the rifle i grab depends on the mood im in. old recurve is my bow. never could get the hang of a compound

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: Yes sir] #6993896
09/18/20 07:17 PM
09/18/20 07:17 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
On a hunt last year there was a guy in the group whose hunting shirt cost him more than i.paid for my bow. Gospel truth. He had close to 2k in his bow and accessories on it. And he made sure we all knew it too. Guy wouldn't walk more than a quarter mile from the road.

What's wrong with that? I hunt private mostly and I only have to walk about 200 yards from the truck at most to get to my stands. If I don't shoot anything by 10 during gun season I'll end up walking about 2 miles slow walking through the woods.

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: SNIPERBBB] #6993911
09/18/20 07:36 PM
09/18/20 07:36 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝

What's wrong with that? I hunt private mostly and I only have to walk about 200 yards from the truck at most to get to my stands. If I don't shoot anything by 10 during gun season I'll end up walking about 2 miles slow walking through the woods.

With this hunt that lack of effort wasn't going to get it done.

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: charles] #6993969
09/18/20 08:27 PM
09/18/20 08:27 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
We have the odd field or grassy marsh but I'll bet 90% of our gun season deer in our bush with group hunts are pounded down inside 35 yards. On the move mind you and usually ahead of hounds.

Re: Am I doomed this deer season [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6993987
09/18/20 08:53 PM
09/18/20 08:53 PM
Winona MN
B
Birdman382 Offline
trapper
Birdman382  Offline
trapper
B

Winona MN
My first deer was the last day of Wi deer season about 4:00 PM when we jumped a three point buck my brother had wounded about 3:00pm. The deer jumped up i shouldered the gun, mind you a 20ga mosberg three shot with the clip and polly chock. Gun up deer down. Then thegame warden came walking in as I was carrying all three guns while brother and dad dragged the deer. The warden was nice. By the way this was the only deer we got that year. I love the 20 ga and all my sons shot there first deer with that Mossberg 20ga.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread