No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: danny clifton] #6993530
09/18/20 07:55 AM
09/18/20 07:55 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Originally Posted by danny clifton
P.S. a 270 IS a fine deer rifle. Or elk rifle or bear rifle. You have to sew a coyote if you shoot one with it but they are dead too.

Have shot elk,mule deer,whitetail deer,moose,caribou,bear,and heads off grouse with my 270.

Nevada bound
Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993534
09/18/20 08:01 AM
09/18/20 08:01 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Those people just aren't as awesome as some of you, or they stroke your ego a little and get you to do it for them. smile

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993567
09/18/20 08:32 AM
09/18/20 08:32 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
So I was curious if it's common in other places or just around these parts for folks to not know how to zero in (along with various other things Cleaning and the like ) their own rifles. Never fails around once ever month or so I have someone get me and ask for me to sight in their gun for them because "it ain't hittin right". Usually the story goes they took it to the pawn shop to get sighted in, which ends up they stuck a bore site tool on it and charged them $20. Then they can't hit a 5gal bucket at 100yd or less and they're confused. Then they get even more confused when they bring it to me since "you bee shooing then coke cans across the cow field "and I ask for a box of the bullets the gun likes, what range they would like it set at and when the last time they cleaned it. Then I have to explain how to actually zero the gun you need to actually fire rounds and adjust at a particular range and how a poorly cleaned rifle (and some of these barely take at lest an hour or so to get them decently cleaned) and different bullets will affect accuracy. And usually after all that I get a shrug half ,a box of rounds , $20 and a "well just get it close enough". IDK always just kinda confused me how folks spend $700 on a rifle n scope and have no clue how to zero it. And don't even get me started when you have to break it to them the $39 tasco scope on their 30-06 isn't gonna hold zero. So this common with y'all other guys or is it just in my little piece of merica?

More common than a guy believes. I worked in Sporting Goods for 20 years and have my own Private but open to public range on my property. I've helped customers and friends etc... hundreds of times.
One man bought a weatherby .300Win mag arrived at my Farm and range before I left work. He put 20 rounds through that rifle (from 100 yds) at a paper plate & was very mad because I had sold him a rifle that wouldn't shoot. He got madder when I told him to go to town and get more ammo . When he got back to my range I had a 4'x4' paper target up for him to shoot starting up at the 30 us. Bench. He said "You think I'm that bad of a shot" I said if we can find your bullet hole on paper we can move the scope correctly . We had it hitting center in 4 shots. Then back to the 100 bench to finish in less than half his box of 20.

The average deer hunter that sights in here never uses the 200Yd bench but will try shooting across a hayfield at 400yds wondering why their rifle is off.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: jbyrd63] #6993571
09/18/20 08:39 AM
09/18/20 08:39 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
LOL I have 8-10 guys that have me "check " their rifles every year. All of them work and I'm retired so they just take for granted I'm free. I kind of enjoy it thou. BUT one guy brought me a 375 H&H single shot ruger. NO MORE !!!!!
I told him I never wanted to see that gun again. WORST kicking gun I have ever shot. Headache for 2 days after. Blued up my shoulder. OK none of you start the I was holding it wrong.
Guess I need to invest in a Caldwell lead sled. Or even better one of their shooting chairs.

Lead sleds are Great!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993581
09/18/20 08:53 AM
09/18/20 08:53 AM
Pennsylvania
C
coalbank Offline
trapper
coalbank  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Once the hit is on the paper or backing, only one more shot after adjustments, with a gun that shoots straight, can cut the last hole. Everyone know this method for zeroing?

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993583
09/18/20 08:55 AM
09/18/20 08:55 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Try talking to most about temp, humidity, elevations effect let alone spin drift. Then watch their eyes glaze over.

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993585
09/18/20 08:57 AM
09/18/20 08:57 AM
potter co. p.a.
P
pcr2 Offline
"Twerker"
pcr2  Offline
"Twerker"
P

potter co. p.a.
I'll shoot your eye out-to paraphrase an ol movie line to fit me.

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993594
09/18/20 09:03 AM
09/18/20 09:03 AM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Yep, can’t beat a lead sled.

There’s another important thing to check before firing the first shot off the bench. Check to make certain that the scope rings and base screws are tight, and any screws on the gun itself are torqued properly. I took my Ruger 77 ( .300WM ) to the range to shoot a new load that I was going to use to hunt elk. My grouping was inconsistent and I was getting frustrated. My buddy figured it out quickly....the screws that go up through the trigger guard ( and secure the action and barrel ) were loose....took over two full turns to tighten. That fixed it right up.

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993674
09/18/20 11:43 AM
09/18/20 11:43 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by K91773
It is incredibly common and don't even start to try to explain external ballistics to people. Most have not concept of trajectory and wind drift.

Had one guy I used to work with who fancied him self in expert on guns and hunting. One of them guys who pronounces Leopold LEO-POLE (seems like everyone around here who does that is a massive butthole) and will argue you till he's blue in the that the 270 is the best deer round ever. Anyhow was talking to him about how I was stretching my 30-06 out to 400yd he procced ask me what bullet I was using the second I said 155gr and he called me a liar and said that was impossible because the bullet was too heavy. I told him that made no sense. He said that you basically have to have the rifle sitting at an angle to shoot like that because the bullet it's gonna drop because its too heavy. Said in less it's 55gr and under you can't make a shot like that I was speechless to say the least

Don't brag too much about an 06 being better than the 270 . If I remember correct the 270 is just a 06 necked down . PLUS 270 is the perfect deer round. Easy to find ammo and cheap to shoot. But I have killed 99.9 % of my deer with my 6mm rem. Leave home with it and forget my shells. Turn around and go back. With my 270 (pre covid) just find a Walmart or sporting goods anywhere.

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Bigbrownie] #6993677
09/18/20 11:45 AM
09/18/20 11:45 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

There’s another important thing to check before firing the first shot off the bench. Check to make certain that the scope rings and base screws are tight, and any screws on the gun itself are torqued properly. I took my Ruger 77 ( .300WM ) to the range to shoot a new load that I was going to use to hunt elk. My grouping was inconsistent and I was getting frustrated. My buddy figured it out quickly....the screws that go up through the trigger guard ( and secure the action and barrel ) were loose....took over two full turns to tighten. That fixed it right up.

Yea 2 years ago guy brought me his new rifle that the scope was factory mounted . After "slinging" 4 rounds I started looking for the cause. Front base was loose. Removed rings and tightened 5 shots and done...

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Bigbrownie] #6993695
09/18/20 12:28 PM
09/18/20 12:28 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Bigbrownie

Those are your action screws and they can definitely run your day with frustration. With my sons first 22 I could only get 7-8 inch pattrens at 25 yards. I had put a new vx3i 3x9 Leopold on it and was getting irritated. When I checked the action screw it was snug maybe hand tight. I think I worked it to 65 inch lb and it started shooting groups instead of patterns.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 09/18/20 12:29 PM.
Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6993756
09/18/20 02:47 PM
09/18/20 02:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
on a new rifle I take the factory scope mounts off and lock-tite them then put them back on and torque 20 inch pounds, when I am happy with where it all sits I lock tite everything

be careful going too tight on action screws you can start crushing wood when the real answer is to epoxy or glass bed the action into the stock and always torque to a set around 25 inch pounds

lock-tite and snug did a bunch of scopes before I had a torque wrench my main concern was i can over tighten things easily

re-scoped a gun last fall that I had scoped 28 years ago that old lock-tite was still holding but breaks loose with tools

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6994003
09/18/20 09:17 PM
09/18/20 09:17 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
It’s way too common and the real shame is all the wounded game.

Then you got the guys who will use FMJ deer hunting ,can't tell you how many times I've heard " if it will kill a man it'll kill a deer !"

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Deerhunter51] #6994006
09/18/20 09:19 PM
09/18/20 09:19 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Deerhunter51
It’s really entertaining for all the prior service types that spent 100’s of hours on the range back in the day and hours cleaning weapons (only to be sent back by the armorer come turn in time for “a little more work”). Nowadays when I go to the range I end up watching in bewilderment at some of the things I see. My son several years ago worked the gun counter at Bass Pro and had plenty of stories of people buying a new rifle a week before deer season, asking what kind of “bullets” to buy and then “what’s a zero??”.

It's even worse when you go and meet other prior service who have no clue what their doing.

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: nvwrangler] #6994008
09/18/20 09:21 PM
09/18/20 09:21 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by nvwrangler
How much do you charge? I enjoy shooting but not the gunsles at the range

Usually like $20 for gas and my time to dive 15min to the range. I make sure to try not to say I reload because then they want to off an extra $10 or so to load them a box of shells

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: keystone] #6994013
09/18/20 09:25 PM
09/18/20 09:25 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by keystone
It’s one thing for someone to not know what there doing, it’s another thing not to try and educate yourself. There is an infinite amount of information available on youtube and the internet to educate yourself on just about anything. Heck, even reading the instructions can set you straight! Some folks will never put forth effort into something as long as someone is willing to do it for them. That’s all i have to say about that!!!

Exactly. Alot of these guys never really seemed to try. The yonger guys my age really irritate me. I'll tell them to go on YouTube and look up how to zero in their gun and save their money having me do it and alot of time I get " well my daddy always just had somone do his " or " I'll probably mess it up any way"

Re: People not knowing how to zero [Re: Wolfdog91] #6995749
09/20/20 10:07 PM
09/20/20 10:07 PM
MO
T
trap master Offline
trapper
trap master  Offline
trapper
T

MO
So I was curious if it's common in other places or just around these parts for folks to not know how to zero in (along with various other things Cleaning and the like ) their own rifles. Never fails around once ever month or so I have someone get me and ask for me to sight in their gun for them because "it ain't hittin right". Usually the story goes they took it to the pawn shop to get sighted in, which ends up they stuck a bore site tool on it and charged them $20. Then they can't hit a 5gal bucket at 100yd or less and they're confused. Then they get even more confused when they bring it to me since "you bee shooing then coke cans across the cow field "and I ask for a box of the bullets the gun likes, what range they would like it set at and when the last time they cleaned it. Then I have to explain how to actually zero the gun you need to actually fire rounds and adjust at a particular range and how a poorly cleaned rifle (and some of these barely take at lest an hour or so to get them decently cleaned) and different bullets will affect accuracy. And usually after all that I get a shrug half ,a box of rounds , $20 and a "well just get it close enough". IDK always just kinda confused me how folks spend $700 on a rifle n scope and have no clue how to zero it. .And don't even get me started when you have to break it to them the $39 tasco scope on their 30-06 isn't gonna hold zero. So this common with y'all other guys or is it just in my little piece of merica?

Unfortunately Wolf its a widespread problem. Its actually concerning the amount of people who have no clue about how to take care of firearms or how to do things like sighting in or cleaning barrels.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread