No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Petrified wood a hundred years old #6996946
09/22/20 08:01 AM
09/22/20 08:01 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Science classrooms across the globe have science classes with petrified wood on hand as examples of things that took millions and millions of years to create. Many of us have held those same pieces and thought wow, dinosaurs!

But today knowledgable geologists realize petrifying wood does not take millions of years, it just takes the right conditions. What changed from the ardent science of millions of years + it must be to... well that might not be the case? It started decades ago, when a family discovered a piece of man-made fence post, with indentations from barb fence wire on their Washington State Farm field. But as they examined it, they found the piece of post was entirely petrified. Just like the pieces from school that were said to be millions of years old?

Thus began the the refute of millions of year old. That piece of fence post, that had held barb wire, was about 100 years old, because that's how long farms had been in existence in their area of Washington.

Geologists assembled to figure out this mystery discovered that if silica is present in the soil, especially prevalent where volcanic action occurred, that the wood can quickly absorb water+silica= petrified wood in as little as a century. Not a million years. Not even close.

Now geologists can produce petrified wood in a lab, where hardwoods are introduced to silica and hot water, and petrification occurs quite rapidly.

Science continues to learn.
But it seems to be a bit like the evening news. When scientists are proven faulty, their theories perhaps improved, expanded on, or in this case refuted.... they have a hard time editing their story.

Pride has killed much truth in the name of absolute science.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6996965
09/22/20 08:23 AM
09/22/20 08:23 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Mark have you had the chance to go the the Creation Museum in Ohio? I wasn't excited when we went and thought it was over priced going in. When I left I would have gladly paied double. It's a very nice trip. I plan on going again with friends and also to see the ark.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6996973
09/22/20 08:30 AM
09/22/20 08:30 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Some petrified wood is ancient, but I think you already knew that. If those trees had not mineralized they would have decayed back into dirt. That fence post you talked about, the part that petrified, will not decay.

I think its a good thing that we have first hand evidence on how wood petrifies.

So far as I know fossilized bones take awhile is still the consensus.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6996975
09/22/20 08:31 AM
09/22/20 08:31 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

The headquarters for the Institute for Creation Research is not that far from where I'm at in Dallas and I hear the Creation Science Museum is, as you say, hard to describe.

Crazy awesome stuff about creationism + science.

I need to get over there one of these days and take my grandkids.

Thanks for reminding me!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997028
09/22/20 09:34 AM
09/22/20 09:34 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I sat on a whole petrified log and stump in Wyoming . 5 miles back off a river in Cactus and sage brush only terrain.

Sat there and Listened to the wind whip....sounded to me like time passing. I was 15 and I prayed and thanked God for His awesome creation.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997037
09/22/20 09:46 AM
09/22/20 09:46 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
That's a cool story.

I'd like to go the creation museum one day.
I still need to go the Sodom and Gomorah museum (inside Trinity Southwest University) here.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997068
09/22/20 10:41 AM
09/22/20 10:41 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

I am a geologist and a creationist. And yes I agree that the mineralisation/ petrification of wood and other organic material can occur quite rapidly given the right conditions. Opalized Miner's hats have been found in 100 year old opal mines in Australia. However, there are cases that can be demonstrated that it took eons for mineralisation to occur. The fact that mineralization/petrification of organic material can occur rapidly does not therefore prove a young Earth.
Geologists are not out there trying to prove an old earth idea. Unfortunately however, there are some young-earth creationist trying to paint them as trying to do that. It is not the case.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997074
09/22/20 10:45 AM
09/22/20 10:45 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

There are definitely evolutionist who try to use snippets of science/geology to prove their points. There are also young earth creationists who use snippits of science to try to prove their point.
Proof texting by either of the two groups is not an honest approach to science.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997081
09/22/20 10:54 AM
09/22/20 10:54 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Junk science is welcome (apparently)

Does anyone remember Tsarvena and her awesome comment on a global warming thread? "4 out of 5 wooly mammoths believe in global warming!"

I still almost roll out of my seat when I think of that one LOL

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997085
09/22/20 10:59 AM
09/22/20 10:59 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I'm starting to think that when "science" is spoken of as an entity, we need to start referring to it as "Science", not just "science". Afterall, it is commonly trusted as an almighty and faithful source of absolute, unquestionable Truth.

I went to the Creation Museum when it was brand new. That was probably 15 or more years ago. I remember the... (I'm having a Joe Biden moment here...), the, uh... you know, the thing where the fancy projector shows the astronomical bodies on the hemispherical ceiling thingy... That thing was truly awesome.

But I thought the rest of the museum was rather weak on exhibits. They had quite a few very nice dioramas and stuff like that, but it seemed lacking in display of real artifacts. I hope it has been improved and expanded since then. I also thought they tried to use scientific knowledge and interpretation of facts as proof of supernatural creation. I've always been just as peeved at folks who observe scientific facts and offer proof of creation as the folks that claim the facts prove an evolutionary origin. Evidence may make suggestions, but you could never scientifically prove a supernatural event.

Same thing with the ark. I haven't been to that museum yet. I would like to. But we have to remember the great destroying flood and God's preservation of human and animal life was a supernatural event. To me it seems moot and pointless to offer reasonable explanations of how Noah and the animals may have survived for a year on a man-made watercraft. The entire, real event was a miracle of colossal magnitude - the ramifications of which I don't think we begin to realize. As soon as you begin to think about how Noah's work and human engineering might have provided for all the needs of the animal life aboard the ark, I believe you lose sight of the real significance of the miracle. Reasonable human explanations of how it might have been done are purely speculation and entirely unnecessary. It's all very interesting but should never be offered as an explanation for our faith by making it seem ordinary and reasonable.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997092
09/22/20 11:03 AM
09/22/20 11:03 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
I think waggler nailed it.

Left lane that’s hilarious and they were obviously correct

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997093
09/22/20 11:04 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^
Kart29
Amen brother!

Last edited by waggler; 09/22/20 11:04 AM.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997095
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Just like when they carbon date bones of people who lived long ago. Saying they are 12,000 years old. According to Bible chronology mankind has only been on earth a little over 6000 years.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997098
09/22/20 11:06 AM
09/22/20 11:06 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Supernatural is right because there is no evidence of a water world except for the movie. If you choose to believe that legend you have to ignore everything we have learned so far. Even an earth is only 6000 years old person will have to admit there are things we humans have learned that make such tales believable only by choosing to believe them.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997099
09/22/20 11:09 AM
09/22/20 11:09 AM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^^
Silkyplainscoyot,
The "chronology" you are referring to makes many assumptions. There are many great evangelical and orthodox theologians and thinkers who have varying opinions on the chronology.

Last edited by waggler; 09/22/20 11:10 AM.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: waggler] #6997101
09/22/20 11:12 AM
09/22/20 11:12 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by waggler
There are definitely evolutionist who try to use snippets of science/geology to prove their points. There are also young earth creationists who use snippits of science to try to prove their point.
Proof texting by either of the two groups is not an honest approach to science.

Amen.

I'm an "n" of one, but I don't have any problem at all with science. None. I am trained in it.

I simply believe that through a process I cannot explain, I came to place my faith in the things that are True (capital T), in something bigger than what I can see.
But.... I (personally) start with Christ, who was resurrected from the dead after 3 days: that miracle. The rest we labor to figure out.
I don't base my faith in what I can figure out as philosophers, ancient and recent, tell me to. Why? Well simply, none of them rose from the grave and showed themselves to 500. They die. This one, and that one died, and the other one died. All have died and not risen again from the dust, save One.

The rest we wrestle and try figure to out. God gave us a brain for a reason, true? Be a scientist. It's a worthy pursuit.
But does anyone think there's a person with a blank slat, pure motives, unswayed life experience, as a major scientist in any field out there? It's not possible to not have presuppositions. It's who we are.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #6997104
09/22/20 11:15 AM
09/22/20 11:15 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
trapper

Nebraska

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Just like when they carbon date bones of people who lived long ago. Saying they are 12,000 years old. According to Bible chronology mankind has only been on earth a little over 6000 years.

I'm not saying the earth is only 6000 years old. It's no doubt much older, perhaps millions of years, before man was put on it.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: waggler] #6997109
09/22/20 11:19 AM
09/22/20 11:19 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
trapper

Nebraska
^^^^^^^
Silkyplainscoyot,
The "chronology" you are referring to makes many assumptions. There are many great evangelical and orthodox theologians and thinkers who have varying opinions on the chronology.

The Bible is very specific with dates and ages that can be counted back to calculate the approximate time Adam was created.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997112
09/22/20 11:27 AM
09/22/20 11:27 AM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
And where is this study about the petrified barb wire and fence post so I can read it? I find that sort of thing interesting.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #6997122
09/22/20 11:42 AM
09/22/20 11:42 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
^^^^^^^
Silkyplainscoyot,

The Bible is very specific with dates and ages that can be counted back to calculate the approximate time Adam was created.

Exactly.

There are 77 generations from Adam to Christ. Even with 40 year generations that equals 3080 years before Jesus (40x77).

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread