No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997938
09/23/20 11:43 AM
09/23/20 11:43 AM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

I think the biggest mistake we make is that we try to make the Bible a science book.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997942
09/23/20 11:46 AM
09/23/20 11:46 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Good discussion.
Perhaps it really may be beneficial to any of us to stand in someone else's shoes for a bit.
Doesn't mean you have to buy their shoes.
It means; will you even try them on?

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: Blaine County] #6997946
09/23/20 11:49 AM
09/23/20 11:49 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Blaine County
One can rationally believe in some form of creationism. But.....anyone who thinks the earth is 6000 years old or that man has only been on earth 6000 years old needs to read an actual science book. And then read another one.

Some science, like gravity, is well settled. There may be worthwhile debate on how old the earth is or how long homo sapiens have been around, but there is zero chance that either of those answers are anywhere close to 6000 years old.

I'm not seeing where anyone said the earth is only 6000 years old. The earth is no doubt millions of years old but it was said that man has only been on this planet for for a little over 6000 years.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997955
09/23/20 12:07 PM
09/23/20 12:07 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by J Staton
I think the biggest mistake we make is that we try to make the Bible a science book.

Good point J.

I posted last Tuesday's chapel message here on TMan (on another thread), from Dr. Dan Wallace, one of our NT professors and a top 5 world scholar in the ancient Greek language, who reminded all of us here at DTS;
One of the shallowest theological statements made in our churches, (but done all the time - especially in the evangelical faith), which has been tremendously harmful to the Church is:

I believe. the Bible's true. That settles it.

A faith specifically grounded in "science" or in any book, is not true faith in the Person who wrote it.
That'll sound like foolishness to some.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #6997961
09/23/20 12:11 PM
09/23/20 12:11 PM
2A Sanctuaries-W. OK & N. NM
Blaine County Online content
trapper
Blaine County  Online Content
trapper

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
Originally Posted by Blaine County
One can rationally believe in some form of creationism. But.....anyone who thinks the earth is 6000 years old or that man has only been on earth 6000 years old needs to read an actual science book. And then read another one.

Some science, like gravity, is well settled. There may be worthwhile debate on how old the earth is or how long homo sapiens have been around, but there is zero chance that either of those answers are anywhere close to 6000 years old.

I'm not seeing where anyone said the earth is only 6000 years old. The earth is no doubt millions of years old but it was said that man has only been on this planet for for a little over 6000 years.

Those people exists and are on this site. Regardless, let me amend my post. Anyone who thinks man has only been on earth for "a little over 6000 years" old OR that earth is "millions" of years old needs to read an actual science book. And then read another one.

I believe science and religion can be reconciled in many ways. 6000 year old earth and/or mankind is not one of them.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6997965
09/23/20 12:13 PM
09/23/20 12:13 PM
Blaine County Online content
trapper
Blaine County  Online Content
trapper

Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by J Staton

Good point J.

I posted last Tuesday's chapel message here on TMan (on another thread), from Dr. Dan Wallace, one of our NT professors and a top 5 world scholar in the ancient Greek language, who reminded all of us here at DTS;
One of the shallowest theological statements made in our churches, (but done all the time - especially in the evangelical faith), which has been tremendously harmful to the Church is:

I believe. the Bible's true. That settles it.

A faith specifically grounded in "science" or in any book, is not true faith in the Person who wrote it.
That'll sound like foolishness to some.

Blessings,
Mark

Great point.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998100
09/23/20 02:50 PM
09/23/20 02:50 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Most Protestants appreciate and welcome science. This doesn't mean each person who professes to follow Christ does of course, but they are on islands of their own faith in that regard.

As an example, John Calvin, one of the 3 premier founders of Protestantism, starts off his major theology work, Institutes of the Christian Religion, written in 1536, with this important sentence;

Our wisdom, in so far as it ought to be deemed true and solid wisdom, consists almost entirely of two parts: the knowledge of God and of ourselves. But as these are connected together by many ties, it is not easy to determine which of the two precedes, and gives birth to the other.

John Calvin and Henry Beveridge, Institutes of the Christian Religion, vol. 1 (Edinburgh: The Calvin Translation Society, 1845), 47.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998112
09/23/20 03:00 PM
09/23/20 03:00 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
This geologist discusses radioisotope dating, lava flows, and aging rocks. He brings up some interesting points no matter how old one thinks the earth is. Its about 20 minutes but a good watch.
I really thought it was interesting when he mentions dating known age lava flows and the results they got worldwide from Mt. St. Helens, Hawaii, New Zealand, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe75Gnv28sU

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998160
09/23/20 04:08 PM
09/23/20 04:08 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^^
Interesting video, but he starts to go off track and reveals his bias confirmation starting about 14 or 15 minutes into the video.
What is revealing is that some of these young earth adherents can't except that the earth is old because they believe that an old earth would allow for the evolution of life from nothing. These guys have week science and weak theology imo. It doesn't matter if the earth is trillions of years old; there is still absolutely no evidence that life can or has spontaneously, from nothing, sprung into existence.

In Morse's book "Scientific Creationism" he reveals his lack of faith and scientific knowledge when he states, "In order for evolution to work it would require billions of years of time".
That is the unfounded fear of many of these guys. They actually believe that evolution of life could work if given enough time. Therefore they have to make every argument they can find to dispute evidence of an old earth. That is not science.
Some of these chemical dating methods give them the easiest method to make their argument, however they conveniently neglect other methods of dating.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998180
09/23/20 04:33 PM
09/23/20 04:33 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Good points Waggler. Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty ignorant on the geology side of this, what other dating methods are you referring to? I always thought geologists dated the fossils by dating the volcanic ash layers.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: Chancey] #6998183
09/23/20 04:43 PM
09/23/20 04:43 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Chancey
Good points Waggler. Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty ignorant on the geology side of this, what other dating methods are you referring to? I always thought geologists dated the fossils by dating the volcanic ash layers.

There are physical processes that are easy to demonstrate but hard to describe in a brief way. I will try to capture some visual material from a video that was posted earlier about the "lake Missoula flood" that can illustrate an example.

Another example is a scientific discipline is known as dendrochronology. It's a simple way to arrive at the timing of certain events using tree ring counting.
It only works in specific location where dead trees have not decayed. In Western Washington it has conclusively shown that coniferous forest returned to the area about 11,000 years ago; after retreat of ice age glaciers.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998224
09/23/20 05:33 PM
09/23/20 05:33 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Isn't it fascinating that most humans really don't care all that much about what and how things are; sciences, in-depth literature reading, mathematical equations, physical nature, etc.

While most all humans seek to know why things are the way they are.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998227
09/23/20 05:37 PM
09/23/20 05:37 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Chancey,
Here is an example of a physical method.
This shaded relief map shows differences in elevation.

I have edited as follows:
The blue line represents the present course of the Columbia River.
The red lines circle two ridges of Columbia river basalt that have been uplifted from the surrounding, rather flat laying, huge, Columbia river basalt flow.
The green line represent an alternate course that the river could have taken.

Explanation:
Basalt is a very hard igneous rock of which the water abrasion rate can be relatively easily determined.

The course of the Columbia river had already been established before the ridges (circled in red) were uplifted. If the ridges had been uplifted rapidly the course of the river would have naturally diverted to the east around the eastern terminus of the ridges ( I show this "alternate course" in green). The top of the southern ridge is about 2,200 feet in elevation, the river is about 500 feet in elevation where it cuts through the ridge. That means the river was able to gradually erode through over 1,700 feet of basalt as it was gradually uplifted. That is a slooooow process.
The fact that the river was able to erode through this hard rock at a faster rate than the rock was uplifted is therefore easy to demonstrate..

Young earth adherents try to demonstrate that nearly every major geological event like mountain building and uplift was a "catostropic" or rapidly occurring event. Examples like this gradual uplift shows that some geological processes are slow and uniformly progressive; therefore the term "uniformitarianism". Young earth guys hate this concept of uniformitarianism. But it's obvious that both types of geological processes have occurred.

Does this sort of make sense to you?
[Linked Image]

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998233
09/23/20 05:48 PM
09/23/20 05:48 PM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Waggle, do you believe their was a cataclysmic such as the great flood of Noah's day? Or do you believe that is a myth. Just curious as to where you are coming from.

And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement!
Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998242
09/23/20 05:53 PM
09/23/20 05:53 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

jwill,
I definitely believe in Noah's flood, I don't think it's allegory or anything like that.
Remotely separated cultures from around the globe have the story; sometimes with a little regional twist, but it's the same story.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998250
09/23/20 05:59 PM
09/23/20 05:59 PM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
So do you believe the changes that occurred after the flood as compared to how conditions were before the flood have any bearing on the discrepancies between science and the Biblical timeline? In short, if you believe the flood happened everything is not uniform?

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: waggler] #6998255
09/23/20 06:02 PM
09/23/20 06:02 PM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
Originally Posted by waggler
Chancey,
Here is an example of a physical method.
This shaded relief map shows differences in elevation.

I have edited as follows:
The blue line represents the present course of the Columbia River.
The red lines circle two ridges of Columbia river basalt that have been uplifted from the surrounding, rather flat laying, huge, Columbia river basalt flow.
The green line represent an alternate course that the river could have taken.

Explanation:
Basalt is a very hard igneous rock of which the water abrasion rate can be relatively easily determined.

The course of the Columbia river had already been established before the ridges (circled in red) were uplifted. If the ridges had been uplifted rapidly the course of the river would have naturally diverted to the east around the eastern terminus of the ridges ( I show this "alternate course" in green). The top of the southern ridge is about 2,200 feet in elevation, the river is about 500 feet in elevation where it cuts through the ridge. That means the river was able to gradually erode through over 1,700 feet of basalt as it was gradually uplifted. That is a slooooow process.
The fact that the river was able to erode through this hard rock at a faster rate than the rock was uplifted is therefore easy to demonstrate..

Young earth adherents try to demonstrate that nearly every major geological event like mountain building and uplift was a "catostropic" or rapidly occurring event. Examples like this gradual uplift shows that some geological processes are slow and uniformly progressive; therefore the term "uniformitarianism". Young earth guys hate this concept of uniformitarianism. But it's obvious that both types of geological processes have occurred.

Does this sort of make sense to you?
[Linked Image]

Yes Waggler, that does make sense. That image is amazing, thank you for taking the time to explain. I'm so glad that you commented about that video being you live in Washington and have probably seen those places they talk about on it.

As far a catastrophic canyon formation, check this one out here locally. In June 2002, the Hill Country of Texas had a crazy storm that dumped a lot of rain. The spillway at Canyon Lake overran and a new canyon named Baranca De Caliza was formed in just three days. It stripped away all the topsoil and rocks. They estimated that the event moved 17,000,000 cubic feet of limestone bedrock; equivalent to a football field stacked 300 feet high! In 2010, Science Daily wrote about the event as way to study past catastrophic flood events; even on Mars.

The links below has the descriptions and photos of the event. Its pretty spectacular to think that it was formed in just 3 days!

https://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/lovell-center/OPs/Wilkerson-Schmid-OP2.pdf

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100620155748.htm

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998261
09/23/20 06:10 PM
09/23/20 06:10 PM
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

^^^^^^^^
jwill

You are correct, I don't think everything happened in a uniform order. There has been both catastrophic and uniform processes at work. The problem young earth guys have with many uniform processes is that they take a lot of time. A lot of time does not fit into their young earth narrative.

There were changes in conditions both before and after the flood. I don't really see any discrepancies between science and Biblical timelines. The problem comes when people are taught that a particular Biblical timelines is set in stone. As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, there are many great evangelical as well as orthodox theologians who have conflicting but well thought-out explanations of Biblical timelines.
I have seen way too much dissension created by some folks (usually guys with books to sell) around this subject. They seem to want everyone to take a hardline stance on the subject; unwise and unnecessary.

Last edited by waggler; 09/23/20 08:37 PM.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998270
09/23/20 06:22 PM
09/23/20 06:22 PM
Central montana
.204 Offline
trapper
.204  Offline
trapper

Central montana
Interesting. Curious as to who would be some strong conservative evangelical scholars who would support old earth theories and still hold the Bible as infallible and Gods word. I certainly wouldn't state Morris as being weak in faith, that is a pretty bold statement. I would fall into the young earth category. But I do enjoy listening to other points of view.

Re: Petrified wood a hundred years old [Re: ] #6998413
09/23/20 08:34 PM
09/23/20 08:34 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Didn’t read the whole thread, just the piece about petrified wood and how long it takes.

Back around ‘75 while digging in a field behind our garage I uncovered a pistol. The wooden grips were flaky like shale more so than wood. It was inoperable and beyond repair. It had a double trigger guard and a ring on the bottom of the grip. A really cool find for a kid. Best guess, it was made in the mid 1800s.

-Goofy-
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread