No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998334
09/23/20 07:19 PM
09/23/20 07:19 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I figured as much Mark. smile

Cletis I have and do both on certain types of sets. Some are left some right. Sometimes straight back. On the large flashy dig out type sets I set closer and at 6 o'clock

I use something like a fire axe with a digger blade on working out the area faster and easier then using a small digging hammer. Also use a heavy duty drill with a 3 ft auger for holes and another drill set up with a 16 inch 5/8" masonry bit to pilot my cable stake holes. Makes things a bit easier and faster for this old man.

Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998336
09/23/20 07:22 PM
09/23/20 07:22 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Old man?
Nah. You 're just hitting your stride.
I bet one of your sets now-a-days connects the same ratio as 12 sets did when you was a pup.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998349
09/23/20 07:34 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Now that is probably true Mark. I set up my first double set location and got a double on the second nite. Just more lucky now i guess. ) I find myself thinking about all that I have learned along the way when I trap. It is all automatic methodology now. No thinking much just auto pilot when and how to do things. How nice it would be to be able to pass it all along to a hungry young trapper with the drive and motivation to handle it all. smile

i work alone mostly since not many want to work that hard or long with me. Once i get in stride now after a couple of weeks on a job i can run a long time at a steady speed.

As long as i get my rest and don't have to worry about the wife all day i can still push hard.

Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998350
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
Good job on the yote control. I love killing them. What’s interesting most to me is that they kill cattle, my neighbours and friends are cattle ranchers and we discuss such things. They tell me they’ve never lost a cow or even calf to a coyote. I wonder why the regional difference in their behaviour?

Last edited by rvsask; 09/23/20 07:34 PM.
Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998356
09/23/20 07:39 PM
09/23/20 07:39 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Bob Jameson
Now that is probably true Mark. I set up my first double set location and got a double on the second nite. Just more lucky now i guess. ) I find myself thinking about all that I have learned along the way when I trap. It is all automatic methodology now. No thinking much just auto pilot when and how to do things. How nice it would be to be able to pass it all along to a hungry young trapper with the drive and motivation to handle it all. smile

i work alone mostly since not many want to work that hard or long with me. Once i get in stride now after a couple of weeks on a job i can run a long time at a steady speed.

As long as i get my rest and don't have to worry about the wife all day i can still push hard.

I smiled all through this post Bob. I have a young man of which you speak, that came and worked with me on a Texas job in 100 degree heat and after a couple days of getting acclimated, reminded me of me when I was in my 20's. He is skilled and just would not stop. Early till late. I found myself loving every minute of passing on what old war barons like you and I have gathered. I hope to repeat. I like you brother, wish there were many more like them.

Be safe, clean up all the doggies, and give 'em a real handshake (no c-19 bump) when you leave.
Thanks again.
Blessings,
Mark

Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998367
09/23/20 07:44 PM
09/23/20 07:44 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have only documented a few cattle attacks and actual kill sites of young beef cattle from coyotes. I believe the location of the herd in the steep hardwood hill area may have helped to contribute to the opportunity. The herd doesn't have much human contact from what I was told and is a bit wild and very spooky in general. I would think that the frequent harassment from the coyotes contributed to their spooky behavior.

The coyotes cleaned up that young steer quickly. Had to have been several feeding and gorging dogs to clean it up so fast.

Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998397
09/23/20 08:23 PM
09/23/20 08:23 PM
uniontown pa
G
gutthooked Offline
trapper
gutthooked  Offline
trapper
G

uniontown pa
Bob

I'll try and get down to see you , got some fresh mule deer buck for you to snack on. If your up this way stop by.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6998439
09/23/20 08:53 PM
09/23/20 08:53 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Great job, Bob!

I had to laugh out loud at the 6th picture, though; the one with the fence charger sitting on the old park bench...

EVERY single one of those benches I've ever seen ends up looking exactly like that one!

Re: Beef Killers going down [Re: Bob Jameson] #6999561
09/25/20 12:37 AM
09/25/20 12:37 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
"We have such excellent carrying capacity here for deer and coyote both"A very good observation for those who evaluate your pictures Bob. Real life animal populations can be above or below that K (carrying capacity) increasing or decreasing (going up or coming down) but the quality shown in the pictures reveals it won't be long before any decrease is reversed to an increase with that type of food/cover/water...... Nice picts of the landscape/use.......... the mike

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread