No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999055
09/24/20 01:40 PM
09/24/20 01:40 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Heck, even trappers hated trappers when I was a kid.

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999087
09/24/20 02:34 PM
09/24/20 02:34 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
During the fur boom, it was bad here in Ks. Not so much anymore though. The houndsmen that hated on trappers were always saying that they wished coon prices would hit rock bottom. I think they figured out that their two thousand dollar hounds wern't worth anything either when the coon price went in the crapper!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999118
09/24/20 03:29 PM
09/24/20 03:29 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
the worst for me is the true trophy bowhunters . The kind thats always in the woods and never kills anything thats not a booner . We used to have a youth season that was the weekend before rifle season , It gave them kids good opportunity to hunt the rut , and made them parents set with their kids They raised so much heck over them kids getting that prime weekend that MDC. moved it .They are always trying strong arm tactics to protect their "turf"

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Bigfoot] #6999135
09/24/20 03:53 PM
09/24/20 03:53 PM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline OP
trapper
Ave  Offline OP
trapper

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
the worst for me is the true trophy bowhunters . The kind thats always in the woods and never kills anything thats not a booner . We used to have a youth season that was the weekend before rifle season , It gave them kids good opportunity to hunt the rut , and made them parents set with their kids They raised so much heck over them kids getting that prime weekend that MDC. moved it .They are always trying strong arm tactics to protect their "turf"

That’s another thing that bugs me. I don’t know why people would bash a season specifically meant to get kids outdoors. I, and many friends I know never would have gotten into deer hunting if it wasn’t for a youth season. That was always tons of fun when I was little.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999141
09/24/20 04:01 PM
09/24/20 04:01 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
I have hunted public land most my life until about 6 years ago. As much as I didn't like other deer hunters setting up 50 yards away or squirrel hunters walking through the woods right after daylight or right before sunset (the best times for shooting deer) or people fudding around stalking deer it's still public land and they have every right to be there same as me. I just started going farther back in the woods where less people would venture. As fare as private land since I'm a deer hunter its not hard to work with most deer hunters, I know I ask them when is a good time for them for me to check my traps and almost always get the same answer, noonish. Or I just wait until deer season is over until I trap that property. Not much can't be solved with some understanding from both parties.

I know most will say it's public, people can go where they want when they want and that's true but it doesn't mean people have to be rude and act like that. It's no different than a person fishing on a river bank and a boat pull up and set anchor right over their lines. Does the driver of that boat have the right to do that yes , it's a public waterway but it does mean the people in the boat are d-bags.

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999143
09/24/20 04:02 PM
09/24/20 04:02 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
Coon hunters and soccer moms.

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #6999144
09/24/20 04:03 PM
09/24/20 04:03 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
and the shotgunners have their clique and the archery hunters hate everyone.

about as long as people considered them "their deer" before they had a killing shot and a tag on them

We tend to breakdown within archery also. Lets not forget the resentment trad guys have against compound guys...and everyone hates the xguns.

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999186
09/24/20 05:29 PM
09/24/20 05:29 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
My biggest grip isn't with one user group complaining to the landowner,or trying to bully another from "their resource",it's with organized groups of sportsmen actively trying to shut down another.When the antis were shutting down trapping on all govt land in Arizona in the early '90's,there were a fair amount of hunters proud of doing their part to sell us out.Many of them houndsmen

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999219
09/24/20 06:27 PM
09/24/20 06:27 PM
Indiana
H
Huntall76 Offline
trapper
Huntall76  Offline
trapper
H

Indiana
My biggest issue is with coon hunters. Why can't they keep control of their dog? They always give the excuse that when thier dog gets on a sent you can't get them off of it or to stop. I kind of get that but that is an omission that they don't have control of their dog but that's not even the worst part . The worst is that they lose their dogs all the time even with all the gps stuff, whistles and what not . Every year during deer season there's always 2 or 3 times we get people stopping us to ask if we've seen or heard a dog running around. I seen dogs trained to get beer out of the fridge and bring it to thier owner but a coon dog can't be trained to stop or come back to it's owner. Seems to me someone can train their dog to do just about anything. So is that just the owner not taking the time to properly train their dogs?

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Huntall76] #6999224
09/24/20 06:32 PM
09/24/20 06:32 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
We spend a lot of time bashing antis and those against our consumptive use of natural resources and that takes us away and off of the real present danger which is huge individual and jealous approach to who should or should not be on top of the heap for using our resources and as in most cases those that spend the most money and buy the most expensive gear and supplies and pay the highest leases win the game.

Bryce

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999239
09/24/20 06:47 PM
09/24/20 06:47 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
Originally Posted by Ave
Originally Posted by Bigfoot

That’s another thing that bugs me. I don’t know why people would bash a season specifically meant to get kids outdoors. I, and many friends I know never would have gotten into deer hunting if it wasn’t for a youth season. That was always tons of fun when I was little.

I didnt eaven shoot a deer for several years when my kids were young . I left them all for them I didnt limit what they shot in any way . The only thing i told them was we need more meat

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999241
09/24/20 06:51 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I honestly only know of one other person that traps and he does it for a living. He’s offered to ride my line and even show me places he’s had good success on at one of the properties I’m trapping now. (He previously trapped it and got too big and I guess too expensive).
Most landowners want me to wait until after deer season or at least the rut before I start which is fine with me. And of course plantations want you to wait until after quail season because of dogs. Just about everyone I’ve encountered down here WANTS trappers on their land. They want those fawns, poults, chicks, etc to live come Spring time. I have to turn away folks every year for lack of time and traps, lol. But I’m trapping areas as small as 35ac to 2700ac.

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999242
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
Used to be bad when fur had more value. Coon hunters/ coon trappers, Predator calling hunters/ trappers, coyote hunters with dogs/ trappers. Seems like most all of the feuding around these parts is history.

I still have an occasional bad encounter with grouse guys with dogs. I’ve had traps blown apart , stolen, or tossed from bird hunters. Tracks in the snow tell the story.

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999269
09/24/20 07:27 PM
09/24/20 07:27 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Nothing worse than a deer hunter that hunts the acre he owns surrounded by 200 he doesn’t.

-Goofy-
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999434
09/24/20 09:51 PM
09/24/20 09:51 PM
West Central MN
20scout Offline
trapper
20scout  Offline
trapper

West Central MN
Deer hunting is like a national holiday around here and like everywhere else, hunters act like the deer they hunt belong to them and only them. Try as I may I still run into issues with deer hunters trying to chase me off of land they don't own or lease. Funny as in the spring they want you to trap coyotes to help save "their" deer but they don't want to pay you for them summer yotes. Most bow hunters are decent and I do what I can to prevent me from messing up their hunt. When asked what time would be best for me to check my traps, one bow hunter replied that I had just as good a chance to chase a deer towards him as away. Never thought of it like that and have used that explanation several times to my advantage. Most of the time the landowner wants me there but after firearm season....then they have someone who wants to hunt late season black power....then it's someone who wants to pheasant hunt so now it's after January 1st and the snow is way too deep for me to gain access or the hound hunters are out. In most cases I write it off as experience and don't bother to ask again as there are other places around here that are just as good.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Boco] #6999769
09/25/20 09:11 AM
09/25/20 09:11 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Boco
Never seen that here in North eastern Ontario-Hunters and trappers seem to get along very well,and help each other out.
I did see anti trapping crap going on with hound hunters in southern ontario who were also trappers. They tried to get restrictions on trapping.They claimed to be trappers first but it was clear they were wearing a different hat when they opened their mouths.They were anti trappers of the worst kind.
Once the federation found out what they were doing they were crushed like a worm.

well you're Lucky you've never seen it Boco

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: 330-Trapper] #6999789
09/25/20 09:29 AM
09/25/20 09:29 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by Boco
Never seen that here in North eastern Ontario-Hunters and trappers seem to get along very well,and help each other out.
I did see anti trapping crap going on with hound hunters in southern ontario who were also trappers. They tried to get restrictions on trapping.They claimed to be trappers first but it was clear they were wearing a different hat when they opened their mouths.They were anti trappers of the worst kind.
Once the federation found out what they were doing they were crushed like a worm.

well you're Lucky you've never seen it Boco

He lives in Canada, he’s the unluckiest person I’ve heard of. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #6999829
09/25/20 10:12 AM
09/25/20 10:12 AM
South West Pennsylvania
W
Wingshot Offline
trapper
Wingshot  Offline
trapper
W

South West Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by Ave
Hey guys, it usually shocks and disappoints me when I see hunters trash talking trappers, or any outdoorsman against another for that matter. Lots of people say they don’t want me coyote trapping so I don’t mess up their deer hunting. I can kind of understand that to a small degree, but recently I’ve been seeing hunters really hating on trapping.I’ve even seen some devoted hunters claiming they wished trapping was illegal. I know a lot of these people are very uneducated in the trapping field, but how long has this been going on? Is it more of a recent thing? A lot of the older outdoorsmen I know are more then happy to share our natural resources, but recently I’ve noticed some real hate from younger guys. Thanks!!

It’s no different than supposed pro 2-A, gun toting people who will say out loud that no one needs to own an AR-15. There’s a larger epidemic than Covid, it’s called ignorance.

Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Wingshot] #6999842
09/25/20 10:26 AM
09/25/20 10:26 AM
Idaho
O
old_newbie Offline
trapper
old_newbie  Offline
trapper
O

Idaho

Originally Posted by Wingshot

It’s no different than supposed pro 2-A, gun toting people who will say out loud that no one needs to own an AR-15. There’s a larger epidemic than Covid, it’s called ignorance.

You Nailed it!

Member NTA, ITA, and USRTA
Re: Hunters against trappers? [Re: Ave] #7000150
09/25/20 04:40 PM
09/25/20 04:40 PM
Idaho Falls, Idaho
F
Furvor Offline
trapper
Furvor  Offline
trapper
F

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Too many rifle scopes. The scope's small field of view bleeds over to small field of logic.

Hunting gets bad karma from TV shows where city slickers sit in blinds on private preserves to shoot captive wildlife like shooting fish in a barrel. I don't call that hunting.

Last edited by Furvor; 09/25/20 04:50 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread