Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
New Trapper #7001326
09/26/20 09:03 PM
09/26/20 09:03 PM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
As the title says, I'm essentially a first year trapper and starting much later in life. I swung by the local shop today and picked his brain while buying some of the things I need to get started. I plan to set for fox, coyote, and raccoon this year unless another opportunity presents itself. What book would someone recommend for a new trapper planning to set a few traps this fall for those target furbearers? Is there a preferred "trapper's bible" that would give me an idea what else I should be picking up or how to get started? I'm sure I'll need other books or videos to prepare for the eventuality that I need to prepare any pelts I should take.

I'm open for any videos or books that are recommended. Thanks.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001332
09/26/20 09:10 PM
09/26/20 09:10 PM
Swords Creek, VA
A
ABeardedTrapper Offline
trapper
ABeardedTrapper  Offline
trapper
A

Swords Creek, VA
Martlet, check out coon creek outdoors on youtube. Lots of good info there. Eric

Re: New Trapper [Re: ABeardedTrapper] #7001347
09/26/20 09:19 PM
09/26/20 09:19 PM
Virginia
W
Walkerdawg Offline
trapper
Walkerdawg  Offline
trapper
W

Virginia
Originally Posted by ABeardedTrapper
Martlet, check out coon creek outdoors on youtube. Lots of good info there. Eric

Yep, YouTube will get you there my friend!!

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001374
09/26/20 09:37 PM
09/26/20 09:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
No trapper education courses offered where you live?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: New Trapper [Re: Boco] #7001379
09/26/20 09:41 PM
09/26/20 09:41 PM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Originally Posted by Boco
No trapper education courses offered where you live?

I had to take the state required course, but it was cut down to 4 hours and really only covered the legal aspects of trapping with very general overview. The instructors were awesome, but because of COVID everything has been cancelled or severely neutered.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001387
09/26/20 09:53 PM
09/26/20 09:53 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Martlet, you will love it! I trapped a lot in the 70's and 80's and then on and off as work allowed, but 2 years ago when i retired, I got back into it big time. There is a wealth of information on here and I also recommend the coon creek outdoors videos on youtube. He does a good job on all aspects of trapping and skinning and putting fur up as well as how to make sets.

Good luck and enjoy!

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001391
09/26/20 09:55 PM
09/26/20 09:55 PM
Louisiana, USA
Oculien Offline
trapper
Oculien  Offline
trapper

Louisiana, USA
This is what I started out on and still use now. Was rcmnd to me when I got started. I'm only 2 yrs into this. [Linked Image]

Greenhorn (still) learning the ropes.
Never forsake the journey for the destination.
Re: New Trapper [Re: Oculien] #7001633
09/27/20 08:26 AM
09/27/20 08:26 AM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Thank you! That's essentially what I'm looking for. I need to pick up a few books or find a good video stream. One of my largest issues right now is I don't even know what I should be buying. It's fun figuring things out and the kids are getting into it, which is a big motivator for me. I haven't even gotten into what I need if I actually catch something or how to process it.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001662
09/27/20 09:21 AM
09/27/20 09:21 AM
GA
B
Buckpasser Offline
trapper
Buckpasser  Offline
trapper
B

GA
I’m right there with you. This season will be my second. There is a ton of good info I found here reading these posts. Besides that, YouTube was huge because it actually allows you a visual example of what the trapper is doing and why. I didn’t have any friends or fellow trappers to watch or work with. My favorite coyote trapping YouTube material is from Management Advantage with Casey Shoopman.

Like you I also target coons, but there aren’t enough foxes here for me to worry with. Good luck!

Some days I think I could trap anything anytime. Others I wonder if I’ll ever make another catch...
Re: New Trapper [Re: Buckpasser] #7001685
09/27/20 09:57 AM
09/27/20 09:57 AM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Do you use DP for coon? I was thinking of grabbing a few of those as well. My local trapping store doesn't carry them, so is there an online supplier you prefer? I see they have some coon "kits" at some suppliers. I'll look into those. It seems Duke is the preferred brand?

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001702
09/27/20 10:12 AM
09/27/20 10:12 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I started out with a dozen DP’s and a coyote starter kit from MTP. Still have everything from that kit plus about 4 dozen more traps now. And I actually caught coyotes and cats off just what the kit came with.
This sites archives and some YouTube videos will get you started.
The rest is OJT, lol. And sometimes PM’ing members on here can provide you with info that may not be posted. This site is loaded with trappers that can haul out some fur.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Wanna Be] #7001709
09/27/20 10:19 AM
09/27/20 10:19 AM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I started out with a dozen DP’s and a coyote starter kit from MTP. Still have everything from that kit plus about 4 dozen more traps now. And I actually caught coyotes and cats off just what the kit came with.
This sites archives and some YouTube videos will get you started.
The rest is OJT, lol. And sometimes PM’ing members on here can provide you with info that may not be posted. This site is loaded with trappers that can haul out some fur.

Thanks! I've been digging through the archives. They're a great resource. I'm trying to toe the line between asking questions/researching and being annoying. I'l keep all my questions in this thread so people who want to answer can and others can ignore. I'll check out those kits, though. Thanks! My local trapping supplier got me started with my coyote/fox traps. He was very knowledgeable and I'm glad I visited rather than just buying online.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001726
09/27/20 10:32 AM
09/27/20 10:32 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Join your state trapping association for help and try and go to conventions where they will have demos and talk to other trappers.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001775
09/27/20 11:13 AM
09/27/20 11:13 AM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
When I started trapping critters back in the 60s (rabbits and barn rats) my dad helped me build some rabbit box traps and gave me an old 1 1/2 LS victor. That was it. No instruction or advice. I had to learn it all. But through asking lots of questions and tons of trial and error I have become a fairly decent trapper. Am I the best NO. But I am far from where I started. Along the way I did some really dumb things trying to catch critters. But in trying something new each year I also learned how to do some different things that had really positive results. One thing I have achieved at my stage of where I am at in my life is a great sense of accomplishment as far as where my walk in life will lead. Now a days there are all sorts of books and social media outlets ( T Man is Great), conventions, even paid instruction, and of course U Tube to learn from. But experience is still the best way. Don't get discouraged if you fail and never ever let someone get to you as they brag on their super accomplishments trying to make you feel like a failure. Too many don't remember their very first failure at anything but are quick to point out yours. Hopefully a an "old Trapper" will come into your life and be a good mentor for you. I try to pass it on all the time. In fact a newbie is coming out this week a couple nights to talk trapping and tinker with some traps. Wish you well and hope you have fun no matter what.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7001846
09/27/20 12:13 PM
09/27/20 12:13 PM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Thanks! I went into this fully prepared to figure it out on my own, but also hoping that there would be a little knowledge to take in from those that have been around. There is a trapping supply store about an hour from me and I spent about 3 hours there yesterday just listening to the owner talk with another long-time trapper. Anytime experienced people are talking I listen to pick up what I can. Just those few hours probably saved me a ton of heartache on the line. This forum has a ton of knowledge, also.

I don't get discouraged easily. Time in the woods learning is time well spent. My major motivation is providing my kids the foundation they need to grow up understanding wildlife conservation to combat the crap they learn in school.

Is it allowed to post a link to a DP kit I was looking at to get opinions?

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002378
09/27/20 09:14 PM
09/27/20 09:14 PM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Any suggested online retailers to buy from?

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002445
09/27/20 10:05 PM
09/27/20 10:05 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Good one at the top of this page that sponsors this forum.

F&T

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002469
09/27/20 10:26 PM
09/27/20 10:26 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Or MTP...also on this site. All my orders have been correct, prompt, and always a handwritten note thanking me for my order.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002481
09/27/20 10:35 PM
09/27/20 10:35 PM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
I agree, can't go wrong either way.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002502
09/27/20 10:52 PM
09/27/20 10:52 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
As mentioned above I'd suggest joining your state trappers association there could be some members close to where you live .
Then become active within the association this covid19 crap hopefully won't last much longer !
Allan

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002641
09/28/20 08:04 AM
09/28/20 08:04 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
I didn't start til I was 44.
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. ANd contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. MANY states have their own forums. Like here in NC. And TN has 2 and Va has 2 also and KY too. A mentor helps Learn trap prep and techniques and tricks and the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. (( Laws vary a lot from state to state so BEWARE of FB and utube. You can be shown things that are illegal in your state!.)) This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Dakotaline, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Flemings, Northern Outdoors, Trap Shack, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, JR & Sons, Grawes, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Easter and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

for the 1st 2 gifts from loved ones, who want to help in this new challenge,
Click on the Dobbins link at the page top.
2 of the best books out there are:
Variations of the Flat Set
and
Land Sets and Techniques
written by Pauls father.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Flipper 56] #7002646
09/28/20 08:09 AM
09/28/20 08:09 AM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Originally Posted by Flipper 56
Good one at the top of this page that sponsors this forum.

F&T

Good call. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Thanks!

Re: New Trapper [Re: traprjohn] #7002659
09/28/20 08:15 AM
09/28/20 08:15 AM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
Originally Posted by traprjohn
I didn't start til I was 44.
Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. ANd contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along with. MANY states have their own forums. Like here in NC. And TN has 2 and Va has 2 also and KY too. A mentor helps Learn trap prep and techniques and tricks and the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. (( Laws vary a lot from state to state so BEWARE of FB and utube. You can be shown things that are illegal in your state!.)) This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Dakotaline, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Flemings, Northern Outdoors, Trap Shack, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, JR & Sons, Grawes, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Easter and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

for the 1st 2 gifts from loved ones, who want to help in this new challenge,
Click on the Dobbins link at the page top.
2 of the best books out there are:
Variations of the Flat Set
and
Land Sets and Techniques
written by Pauls father.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this. I'm 51. I joined the state trapping assn and have one officer say I could follow him along while he ran his line in the fall. I'll absolutely take him up on that. He mostly does water sets. I have another that I'm going to reach out to that they say does a lot of canine sets.

Right now I'm just trying to get my own gear together so I can set a few canine and a few coon traps when the season opens next month. I have a bunch of things to buy so that if I do finally catch something I know how to prepare it properly, having never skinned or prepared a pelt. I'm putting together a list of things I think I need based on the suggestions of others or what I see in videos.

I'll request some catalogs, too.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002699
09/28/20 08:58 AM
09/28/20 08:58 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Run your list by your local mentor before ordering to double check....heck you could call or email some off the state assn. site.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7002734
09/28/20 09:55 AM
09/28/20 09:55 AM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
[Linked Image]

This is what I cut my teeth on when I was younger, now my boys look at the same book almost daily. Some info is dated, but basics are there and with a little imagination your options are limitless. As trappers we are always looking for a edge or advantage to be better trappers, we as a whole are very ingenious group on solving problems that arise. If not you or me personally can figure something out, a simple post on here will get you many different options on what to do and why, there are trapping legends that walk the halls of this forum. I fully enjoyed the back pages of this book as a kid, food rations to pack for trapping, how to build a cabin, ect. It was a book that explained how I wanted to live as a child..

Failure leads to learning, learning leads to improvement.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7003696
09/29/20 09:03 AM
09/29/20 09:03 AM
NH
M
Martlet Offline OP
trapper
Martlet  Offline OP
trapper
M

NH
I super appreciate all the advice. I'm watching the videos available online and ordering some some of the books suggested. Thanks!

I was talking to another trapper and I mentioned that most of my leads for land owners have come from the police who suggested a few people that have predator issues and would likely be open to allowing me to set a few canine or coon traps there. This trapper suggested that I form an LLC as a trapper? I have a small homestead and sell a few things to friends, but I've never thought of an LLC. Has anyone, except for the ADC folks who do it as a business, done or considered this?

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7003839
09/29/20 12:13 PM
09/29/20 12:13 PM
Wisconsin
Crortvedt05 Offline
trapper
Crortvedt05  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
If you want to figure out how to trap raccoons there is no better video that tells u everything u need to know like Sam Woods “Fast track to coon trapping” on YouTube, promise! Shaved years off of learning and for coyotes I really like the book “one square mile” by Ed Schneider, maybe a bit advanced for a beginner but tons of useful info.

Re: New Trapper [Re: Martlet] #7004219
09/29/20 08:42 PM
09/29/20 08:42 PM
Central/Western Texas
AuthorTrapper Offline
trapper
AuthorTrapper  Offline
trapper

Central/Western Texas
You will learn more from any of Mark June's DVDs then you will probably anywhere else. He makes it plain, simple, & easy to understand. It will put you on the fur!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91