No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
American Water Spaniels #7001796
09/27/20 11:29 AM
09/27/20 11:29 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Anyone have experience with them whether directly or shared a field with them?

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7001902
09/27/20 01:23 PM
09/27/20 01:23 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
We had one back in the 80's. It was most hot and cold dog I have ever owned. When it wanted to hunt it was very good and with a great nose. She had an attitude, however, that we could not discipline or train out of her. As an example, my wife and I were duck hunting a pothole in Saskatchewan and missed on a flock of birds. The AWS broke and was swimming around in the pothole for a long time, flaring flocks of birds. We did everything we could to try to get her back when my wife waded out and took her by the collar. The dog turned and laid open her finger. My wife decided it was time to take the dog to the truck and when she was getting it into the crate it bit her again. I have zero tolerance for a biting dog. If our son, who "owned" the dog would not have been with us, the dog would not have left Saskatchewan.

There were also times the dog simply chose not to hunt, no matter what we did. It also had a variety of skin issues which we tried to address through the Vet and changing foods, etc. It also had a tendency to cover the inside of the crate with slimy, mucousy crap while travelling.

We have always had Labs, except for that failed experiment. Most likely will not go that route again. I have heard others that swear by the AWS and there must be some good ones out there.

Good luck and be cautious in your choice.

Moosetrot

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7001966
09/27/20 02:07 PM
09/27/20 02:07 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
That sounds terrible Moose. What was your son's experience with it? You have more patience than I do

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7002010
09/27/20 03:00 PM
09/27/20 03:00 PM
Holmes Co. Ohio
K
Killbuck Offline
trapper
Killbuck  Offline
trapper
K

Holmes Co. Ohio
A AWS was my first dog when I got married. I was raised with my fathers GSP's and hated hunting with them. Dog would go on point or slow walk a trail and the pheasant would be seen high steppin it 100 yards ahead. @ 8 months old Tera (the Terrorist) flushed a bird off a high dike, watched it die and launched off the dike for a prefect water retrieve. Shot another one a few years later. Stoned it @ 35 yards, but the retrieve was taking far to long. Pretty soon here comes Tera with the bird and her foot through her collar through a cattail swamp. I would just put her in a field and follow! Read somewhere that AWS's were whelped knowing more about hunting than you ever will!

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7002020
09/27/20 03:12 PM
09/27/20 03:12 PM
Wisconsin
M
Moosetrot Offline
trapper
Moosetrot  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Well, unfortunately, while our son was up at Granny's house for a couple weeks, the dog got very sick and we had to put it down.....When we went up to pick him up I had already arranged to purchase a Yellow Lab pup. That one wound up being a very sad story but we got a replacement. He loved the AWS despite it really not caring if he was around or not. Mom's and Dad's have to make tough decisions some times.

If you can get a good one, I hear they are very good. Make sure you are able to view the parents, etc. We got ours from a very large breeder of AWS and I think that may have been our mistake. I have to say that ours was much better on upland than she was on waterfowl, but her attitude was just too much.

Moosetrot

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7002025
09/27/20 03:16 PM
09/27/20 03:16 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
You know it's bad when Moosetroot's world famous aggressive dog breaking technique doesn't even work. eek eek eek

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: yotetrapper30] #7002044
09/27/20 03:51 PM
09/27/20 03:51 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
You know it's bad when Moosetroot's world famous aggressive dog breaking technique doesn't even work. eek eek eek

What is his technique, leading it with a Green & Gold thong?

Last edited by Pike River; 09/27/20 03:54 PM.
Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7002070
09/27/20 04:24 PM
09/27/20 04:24 PM
MI
C
Co�s Offline
trapper
Co�s  Offline
trapper
C

MI
Tuning in with interest. I’ve been eying AWS for my next dog. Love my springer on pats and woodcock but want a retriever for ducks. I need a dog that doesn’t get hypothermic swimming in July like my springer, and we’re not a lab family.

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Co�s] #7002118
09/27/20 05:09 PM
09/27/20 05:09 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Coös
Tuning in with interest. I’ve been eying AWS for my next dog. Love my springer on pats and woodcock but want a retriever for ducks. I need a dog that doesn’t get hypothermic swimming in July like my springer, and we’re not a lab family.

You should get a female and test her out. If she's good, breed her and let me know.

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7002122
09/27/20 05:12 PM
09/27/20 05:12 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

What is his technique, leading it with a Green & Gold thong?

Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I have had a number of male Labs in my life. A couple of them, when they were around a year old, decided they growl at me when I was training/and/or disciplining them. I immediately grabbed them and put them on their back and bit them hard on the throat, growling and snarling myself all the time. I came up spitting hair but neither of those dogs ever growled at me again.

Moosetrot

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7002464
09/27/20 10:20 PM
09/27/20 10:20 PM
Mt.
g smith Offline
trapper
g smith  Offline
trapper

Mt.
Years back a old Kansas farmer (NE I think ) near MO . river said that was "The dog " everybody had them and they were good .He called them a brown Spaniel and they swam to retrieve from the Mo. river .

You can ride a fast horse slow but you can't ride a slow horse fast .
Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7002489
09/27/20 10:43 PM
09/27/20 10:43 PM
Ohio
Keith Daniels Offline
trapper
Keith Daniels  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Never been around them, but I sold a Small Munsterlander pup from my first litter, a little over three years go, to a family in Seattle, Wa. that had one, it didn't know how to swim or was scared of the water, one or the other. He was planning on it primarily as a waterfowl dog, but would do some upland too.

I am not a waterfowl hunter, but a lot of people use them for it. They do spend a lot of time with me hunting marshes for rail and the occasional snipe, biggest problem is my male enjoys catching and killing coon and muskrats so much, sometimes he gets side tracked.

Very laid back family dog when not in the field.

Keith Daniels
Retired OSTA President as of 4:50 P M 9/12/20
Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7003064
09/28/20 05:35 PM
09/28/20 05:35 PM
Northern Minnesota
I
Icanfixthat Offline
trapper
Icanfixthat  Offline
trapper
I

Northern Minnesota
I have not posted for a very long time, but this got me out of the woodwork. I have a 3 and a half year old AWS. We did a lot of research before getting her. It was to be our first inside dog. I grew up with inside dogs, my wife did not and it took 30 years to convince her to try it. I had just lost my 125 lbs. Chesapeake, and was looking for a smaller dog. I grew up with springers. First the positives of the AWS: Powerful for their size, Hunt anything, Very low shedding, Smart (Too smart), Happy, Trainable, Super High Energy, ATTITUDE. Now the negatives: ATTITUDE, Possible skin issues,Super high energy, Eat everything until they explode, Unless trained-super possessive.

We knew the negatives going in. My wife and I spent hours training her. We should have spent more time checking on the breeder. We ended up getting one from a not so reputable breeder. There just not that many breeders of the AWS out there. The e-collar was a must. Like any dog, you have to put the time in. Now, we would not trade ours for anything. I hunt 4-5 days a week, and she goes with me for everything, from doves to geese. They are not for everyone. They are not a lab or a brittany, but can do the work of both, plus she fits in the canoe. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7003086
09/28/20 06:15 PM
09/28/20 06:15 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline
trapper

OBX N.C.
Shes beautiful

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Leary Sink] #7003117
09/28/20 06:53 PM
09/28/20 06:53 PM
Northern Minnesota
I
Icanfixthat Offline
trapper
Icanfixthat  Offline
trapper
I

Northern Minnesota
She has the dog version of alopecia. She has lost the hair on the back of her hindquarters and her neck. I was hoping to breed her once or twice, but I won't with that condition. Maybe the next one. Pretty sure the breeder knew at the time. Told us the parents weren't in the area when we went to pick her up. We were on a waiting list for two years, so we got the dog. I have found a more reputable breeder for my next one, and will be planning to get on the list for another female when this one is 5-6.

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7003121
09/28/20 06:57 PM
09/28/20 06:57 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Beautiful dogs that look very much like a Boykin.
I recently acquired a English Cocker. He just got back from Wagon training and will now make the transition to dove/duck dog while still doing some wagon work. The trainer asked if I’d be willing to let him use him on some hunts this year and that made my day.

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Wanna Be] #7003170
09/28/20 07:45 PM
09/28/20 07:45 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Beautiful dogs that look very much like a Boykin.
I recently acquired a English Cocker. He just got back from Wagon training and will now make the transition to dove/duck dog while still doing some wagon work. The trainer asked if I’d be willing to let him use him on some hunts this year and that made my day.

From what I understand the first boykin was just a stray AWS found wandering the streets in S Carolina.

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Icanfixthat] #7003171
09/28/20 07:46 PM
09/28/20 07:46 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Icanfixthat
I have not posted for a very long time, but this got me out of the woodwork. I have a 3 and a half year old AWS. We did a lot of research before getting her. It was to be our first inside dog. I grew up with inside dogs, my wife did not and it took 30 years to convince her to try it. I had just lost my 125 lbs. Chesapeake, and was looking for a smaller dog. I grew up with springers. First the positives of the AWS: Powerful for their size, Hunt anything, Very low shedding, Smart (Too smart), Happy, Trainable, Super High Energy, ATTITUDE. Now the negatives: ATTITUDE, Possible skin issues,Super high energy, Eat everything until they explode, Unless trained-super possessive.

We knew the negatives going in. My wife and I spent hours training her. We should have spent more time checking on the breeder. We ended up getting one from a not so reputable breeder. There just not that many breeders of the AWS out there. The e-collar was a must. Like any dog, you have to put the time in. Now, we would not trade ours for anything. I hunt 4-5 days a week, and she goes with me for everything, from doves to geese. They are not for everyone. They are not a lab or a brittany, but can do the work of both, plus she fits in the canoe. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the response. Can you explain more about "attitude"?

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7003306
09/28/20 09:38 PM
09/28/20 09:38 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
My Brittanies typically out retrieved the labs we hunted with. .... if ya like orange and white dogs.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: American Water Spaniels [Re: Pike River] #7003343
09/28/20 09:59 PM
09/28/20 09:59 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
My first bird dog was a water spaniel. That dog would hunt ducks with me in the morning then work upland on phez quail and woodcaock in the afternoon. Our South Jersey meadow mud was just hard on her compaired to the long legged labs we use now. I would upland bird hunt or use as duck dog in water swimming in a heart beat.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread