No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Neglected traps [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6995571
09/20/20 06:17 PM
09/20/20 06:17 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Old acid bucket will get me back right as far as rust goes

Re: Neglected traps [Re: yukonal] #6995584
09/20/20 06:26 PM
09/20/20 06:26 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Originally Posted by yukonal
You guys are missing the point. His fasteners have seized up, making the function of the trap inoperable.

He HAS to take the traps apart to replace the hardware, so he is just going to clean up the traps at the same time.

I'm sure he understands how to rust, dye, and wax traps...

I agree with yukonal.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: Neglected traps [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #6995776
09/20/20 10:49 PM
09/20/20 10:49 PM
Saucier, Mississippi Harrison ...
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline OP
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

Ok so I took the springs and levers off today went a lot faster than the jaws. I was going to take pictures but my phone died so I left the last one so I can show it coming apart and what I used to do it. The springs look pretty good but the threaded section of the big bolts that hold the springs and levers were in bad shape as well as the nylon inserted nuts. Thank goodness for PB Blaster again and a battery impact. I did the first couple with a box end and a socket on a ratchet. The impact just made it much faster and was essential for the frozen ones. You have to use a wrench to back the bolt out of the springs at least I did. I suppose you could drive them out if so desired. I’ll get the pictures tomorrow and post that part of the disassembly. May get a chance to remove the pan and clevis from them then they will be stripped to the frame.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Neglected traps [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #7002060
09/27/20 04:17 PM
09/27/20 04:17 PM
T
turkn8rtrapper Offline OP
trapper
turkn8rtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

Alright. I took all the traps completely apart. I put all the fasteners and the roll pins in bags. allot of the smaller screws and bolts sheered off. I tumbled all the parts in my cement mixer with 2 bags of play sand and 1 bag of pea gravel. It knocked all the flake rust off and removed about half of the surface rust. I just finished dipping and drying all the parts except the frames in oxpho the rust converter/primer. I will do the frames next. I plan to let them dries for a couple days then dip them in flat black oil based paint mixed with accetone. I am waiting for the stainless cap bolts and nylon inserted stainless nuts for the jaws and the roll pins for the pans. Once I get them in I will reassemble them and ad the new chain which is #3 select with crunch proof 3 links crunch proof 3 links crunch proof. Then they should be ready. The oxpho did an excellent job converting the rust. There are 71 traps and I used 2 gallons of oxpho which I will pour the remainder of back in the bottles for future use. I have taken pictures and will upload them later. All this has happened while setting up 8 and 1/2 dozen new MB550's. Been a busy week.

"Skin that smokewagon and see what happens"
Re: Neglected traps [Re: turkn8rtrapper] #7100218
12/22/20 01:07 AM
12/22/20 01:07 AM
Indiana
B
bluegrassman Offline
trapper
bluegrassman  Offline
trapper
B

Indiana
just curious, any new updates on these?

Anyone that owns a gun and votes democrat deserves to have there gun taken, cause they truly are too stupid to own a gun.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread