No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Starting a nuisance removal business #7002377
09/27/20 09:14 PM
09/27/20 09:14 PM
West Point , Mississippi
P
porkchop024 Offline OP
trapper
porkchop024  Offline OP
trapper
P

West Point , Mississippi
I have been putting some thought into starting my own nuisance removal business. I have done a few small jobs over the years trapping beavers in ponds and raccoons and skunks around people’s property, but I haven’t ever really publicized it much . I do work a full time job, so it would be more of a side gig. Don’t get me wrong I would love to do it full time because I just love to trap , but it would have to really grow for me to give up my everyday job. I would be happy just to get a few extra jobs to bring in the extra money here and there . With that said I am getting some business cards made to hand out and a few shirts and stuff like that made . So for all you guy and gals out there that have done this , what are your thoughts on doing this ?

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002389
09/27/20 09:23 PM
09/27/20 09:23 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/3

I’m considering the same side hustle. Best of luck... I hope to learn form the responses also.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002391
09/27/20 09:26 PM
09/27/20 09:26 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

My thoughts are that the bigger money is in exclusion. Bats are huge too.

Better yet, excluding bats. People tip big for bat work.

I do it as a side gig when it isn't cold. My carpentry skills combined with critter knowledge makes way more than just trapping.

Beaver are easy here. I generally push people off a bit till I have two or three jobs at once. Leave the dock, set seven or eight traps, $150/ beaver and I have a good night. Two checks and done hopefully. My 22 mag has also paid for itself ten times over.

Last edited by Hutchy; 09/27/20 09:29 PM.
Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: DelawareRob] #7002406
09/27/20 09:35 PM
09/27/20 09:35 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by DelawareRob

I’m considering the same side hustle. Best of luck... I hope to learn form the responses also.

If you think nuisance work is a "side hustle" your going into it behind the eight ball already.Wrong attitude.I have trapped all my life,,and been running my own nuisance controll business for the past 28 years.You have a huge responsibility when taking on nuisance work.Nuisance work entails a LOT more than setting a few mink traps on the creek bank.Thats all Im going to say.

Last edited by upstateNY; 09/27/20 10:06 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: Hutchy] #7002414
09/27/20 09:40 PM
West Point , Mississippi
P
porkchop024 Offline OP
trapper
porkchop024  Offline OP
trapper
P

West Point , Mississippi
I have never trapped bats. I’m sure there is good money in it , but I just never hear of anybody around here having bat problems . Would definitely give it a try if I got a call , but I wouldn’t know where to start to trap them . Most of the jobs I have got calls from are from beavers . I see you charge per beaver you catch . That’s what I also have been doing . I feel it’s fairest for the landowner and the trapper . Although I do also charge a set up fee if I set a trap, but I do give them a free look around . Sometimes I don’t see sign and I will tell them that I don’t feel like they are there but if they insist on me setting a trap , they will be charged a set up fee of 100 dollars .

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: upstateNY] #7002417
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by upstateNY

If you think nuisance work is a "side hustle" your going into it behind the eight ball already.Wrong attitude.I have trapped all my life,,and been running my own nuisance control business for the past 28 years.You have a huge responsibility when taking on nuisance work.Nuisance work entails a LOT more than setting a few mink traps on the creek bank.Thats all Im going to say.

My situation and where I live makes evenings and weekends possible.

I wouldn't know a lot of places I could make it work as part time like I do

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002419
09/27/20 09:42 PM
09/27/20 09:42 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
The better money is in the repairs and prevention(exclusion)

Your ability to do well or go full time probably has more to do with your proximity to a large enough human population than anything else.

Bob Jansma
Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: upstateNY] #7002421
09/27/20 09:44 PM
09/27/20 09:44 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

If you think nuisance work is a "side hustle" your going into it behind the eight ball already.Wrong attitude.I have trapped all my life,,and been running my own nuisance control business for the past 28 years.You have a huge responsibility when taking on nuisance work.Nuisance work entails a LOT more than setting a few mink traps on the creek bank.Thats all Im going to say.

Oh, I agree... it is a full time job, even to be part time.

That is why I said considering, it would be super hard to do that without it being a primary business.

I could do it as a once here or there thing for small things, or more than likely, just tell people to call my friend Bud, who does it professionally.

Because they pay him for his knowledge and experience

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: upstateNY] #7002423
09/27/20 09:45 PM
West Point , Mississippi
P
porkchop024 Offline OP
trapper
porkchop024  Offline OP
trapper
P

West Point , Mississippi

I understand fully what you are saying . And I would love to do it full time . And maybe it will come to that . For right now just getting started out I can’t afford to quit my main income in hopes of it working . The people I have done jobs for have seemed to be please , because they are returning customers over the years.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002424
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by porkchop024
I have never trapped bats. I’m sure there is good money in it , but I just never hear of anybody around here having bat problems . Would definitely give it a try if I got a call , but I wouldn’t know where to start to trap them . Most of the jobs I have got calls from are from beavers . I see you charge per beaver you catch . That’s what I also have been doing . I feel it’s fairest for the landowner and the trapper . Although I do also charge a set up fee if I set a trap, but I do give them a free look around . Sometimes I don’t see sign and I will tell them that I don’t feel like they are there but if they insist on me setting a trap , they will be charged a set up fee of 100 dollars .

Normally always charge for your time.

I charge per critter because I am cocky enough to think I can always pull it off.

I have never once had a complaint about a bill, but I will charge for gas if it takes longer. I also have regulars who just want me to keep their island and docks beaver free. I don't even ask, just trap them if I see a problem. And send the bill.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: Hutchy] #7002428
09/27/20 09:49 PM
09/27/20 09:49 PM
West Point , Mississippi
P
porkchop024 Offline OP
trapper
porkchop024  Offline OP
trapper
P

West Point , Mississippi
Originally Posted by Hutchy

Normally always charge for your time.

I charge per critter because I am cocky enough to think I can always pull it off.

I have never once had a complaint about a bill, but I will charge for gas if it takes longer. I also have regulars who just want me to keep their island and docks beaver free. I don't even ask, just trap them if I see a problem. And send the bill.

Do you charge a certain rate per hour ? Or per week ? I just feel like if I charge them for a service , and don’t have anything to show them for my work , then they feel ripped off or took advantage of . That’s why I have charged per nuisance in the past .

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002430
09/27/20 09:53 PM
09/27/20 09:53 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Online content
trapper
yotetrapper30  Online Content
trapper

Oakland, MS
I know a few people that do nuisance work here in MS. They charge by the hour.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: upstateNY] #7002433
09/27/20 09:55 PM
09/27/20 09:55 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York

^ This. I've been at it 31 years this year. In that time, there has been just 24 days I did not have traps to check. It's hard to really explain to someone that doesn't do this exactly what it entails. I will say like the other people have already stated, there is a bunch more money to be made doing the exclusion and repair work, than the trapping aspect of it. I enjoy the trapping part, (and don't want to become a carpenter), and am lucky enough to have a couple excellent contractor companies that I can refer, and co-ordinate with to do the larger repairs.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002435
09/27/20 09:57 PM
09/27/20 09:57 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
I found that the cost of liability insurance was way too high for a part time business.
Some specialties mentioned here that are needed; bat exclusions, squirrel exclusions, removal of coons and flying squirrels from chimneys, skunks without spray, nuisance beaver, snake removal, just to name a few.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002441
09/27/20 10:03 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
I've learned the lesson about free consults/estimates. If I attend a site there's a set up and consultation fee. I've been burned by the odd individual looking to get set on the right path after already making a mess with their walmart cage traps. I like charging by the animal, it keeps you focused on solving the problem not making a wage. That fee might also include vehicle mileage, travel time, a bait and lure fee, relocation of incidentals, and exclusion work. I'm a little cocky too Hutchy and don't mind a little gamble, sometimes the payoff is big other times you're humbled, lol. I've never advertised at all, my work has all been word of mouth (and good networking) but if I wanted to go big I would rely heavily on the internet and social media.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002442
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Do you charge a certain rate per hour ? Or per week ? I just feel like if I charge them for a service , and don’t have anything to show them for my work , then they feel ripped off or took advantage of . That’s why I have charged per nuisance in the past . [/quote]

No hourly rate. I charge what I think is fair and explain it on the bill.

I have knocked out six beaver at one job in a night.

I didn't charge $900. I charged $750. Had about four hours into the job, so I felt that was more fair.

That said, you should develop some kind of pay structure so you look more professional

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7002447
09/27/20 10:10 PM
09/27/20 10:10 PM
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
I've learned the lesson about free consults/estimates. If I attend a site there's a set up and consultation fee. I've been burned by the odd individual looking to get set on the right path after already making a mess with their walmart cage traps. I like charging by the animal, it keeps you focused on solving the problem not making a wage. That fee might also include vehicle mileage, travel time, a bait and lure fee, relocation of incidentals, and exclusion work. I'm a little cocky too Hutchy and don't mind a little gamble, sometimes the payoff is big other times you're humbled, lol. I've never advertised at all, my work has all been word of mouth (and good networking) but if I wanted to go big I would rely heavily on the internet and social media.

I hate the occasional humbling lol.

I don't advertise, although I did make cards for referrals. Everyone knows me anyway here.

I have a good deal in that I generally only work seasonal cottages on my trapline. I manage a construction company here looking after a lot of those same cottages, so no one else is doing nuisance work here too.

I do the odd bear job too. People pay big to have you haze bears with rubber bullets and stuff also. Sometimes it actually works. They pay extra to have me re train a bear to fear people and "save it's life"

Then I shoot it in hunting season anyway lol

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002467
09/27/20 10:25 PM
09/27/20 10:25 PM
West Point , Mississippi
P
porkchop024 Offline OP
trapper
porkchop024  Offline OP
trapper
P

West Point , Mississippi
Thanks for all the advice so far. The pros and the cons . That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear about. I understand it’s hard work involved and I’m up for that challenge. One thing about me I have always worked extremely hard with any job I have ever done , so therefore if my dream does come true and I can have enough work to do it without having to punch a time clock , I will put all effort in it to make sure it doesn’t fail. For right now I’m just testing the waters to see how it works out.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002475
09/27/20 10:31 PM
09/27/20 10:31 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the advice so far. The pros and the cons . That’s exactly what I was hoping to hear about. I understand it’s hard work involved and I’m up for that challenge. One thing about me I have always worked extremely hard with any job I have ever done , so therefore if my dream does come true and I can have enough work to do it without having to punch a time clock , I will put all effort in it to make sure it doesn’t fail. For right now I’m just testing the waters to see how it works out.

I've done 45 and expect to hit 50 plus beaver for September and it's strictly a side hustle. I have to pinch myself, for me It's like getting paid well to go fishing.

Re: Starting a nuisance removal business [Re: porkchop024] #7002510
09/27/20 11:12 PM
09/27/20 11:12 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Do you do politicians or relatives... ??? You can probably make a fortune about now.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread