No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely #7002484
09/27/20 10:39 PM
09/27/20 10:39 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Harvard Law School professor Noah Feldman is a constitutional scholar and self-described liberal who testified during President Donald Trump’s impeachment hearings that Trump was guilty of “impeachable high crimes and misdemeanors by corruptly abusing the office of the presidency.”

But even Feldman believes Amy Coney Barrett deserves to be a Supreme Court justice.

What did Feldman say?
Writing in an essay for Bloomberg, Feldman said he was “devastated” by Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death and “revolted by the hypocrisy of Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.”

But, Feldman explained, his personal missives do not remove the fact that Barrett is “highly qualified” to serve on the Supreme Court.

“Yet these political judgments need to be distinguished from a separate question: what to think about Judge Amy Coney Barrett,” Feldman wrote. “And here I want to be extremely clear. Regardless of what you or I may think of the circumstances of this nomination, Barrett is highly qualified to serve on the Supreme Court.”

In fact, Feldman acknowledged that he disagrees with much of Barrett’s judicial philosophy — but even that fact does not disqualify her.

“I disagree with much of her judicial philosophy and expect to disagree with many, maybe even most of her future votes and opinions. Yet despite this disagreement, I know her to be a brilliant and conscientious lawyer who will analyze and decide cases in good faith, applying the jurisprudential principles to which she is committed. Those are the basic criteria for being a good justice. Barrett meets and exceeds them,” he explained.

Feldman went on to say:

[A] Republican is president, and the Senate is Republican. Elections have consequences, and so do justices’ decisions about when or whether to retire. Trump is almost certainly going to get his pick confirmed. Given that reality, it is better for the republic to have a principled, brilliant lawyer on the bench than a weaker candidate. That’s Barrett.
To add to her merits, Barrett is a sincere, lovely person. I never heard her utter a word that wasn’t thoughtful and kind — including in the heat of real disagreement about important subjects. She will be an ideal colleague. I don’t really believe in “judicial temperament,” because some of the greatest justices were irascible, difficult and mercurial. But if you do believe in an ideal judicial temperament of calm and decorum, rest assured that Barrett has it.

“This combination of smart and nice will be scary for liberals,” he added.

Regarding Barrett’s devout Catholic faith, which some of those opposed to Barrett have claimed disqualifies her from serving on the Supreme Court, Feldman said Barrett’s critics could not be more wrong.

“Barrett is also a profoundly conservative thinker and a deeply committed Catholic. What of it? Constitutional interpretation draws on the full resources of the human mind. These beliefs should not be treated as disqualifying,” Feldman said. “We have a Supreme Court nominee who is a brilliant lawyer, a genuine and good person — and someone who holds views about how to interpret the law that I think are wrong and, in certain respects, misguided. I hope the senators at her hearing treat her with respect.”

In the end, Feldman wrote that Barrett’s likely confirmation is a consequence of Democrats losing elections.

“And when she is confirmed, I am going to accept it as the consequence of the constitutional rules we have and the choices we collectively and individually have made. And I’m going to be confident that Barrett is going to be a good justice, maybe even a great one — even if I disagree with her all the way,” Feldman wrote.

Anything else?
Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham confirmed Saturday that Barrett’s nomination hearings will begin Oct. 12.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced last week that he has enough support to confirm Barrett, meaning her confirmation will shift the ideological makeup of the Supreme Court for the foreseeable future.

Once Barrett is confirmed, conservative-leaning justices will hold a 6-3 majority on the court.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7002526
09/27/20 11:44 PM
09/27/20 11:44 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Online content
trapper
yotetrapper30  Online Content
trapper

Oakland, MS
Well I doubt he will be a democrat for much longer after his party gets done tearing him to shreds for voicing his opinion on this.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7002552
09/28/20 01:07 AM
09/28/20 01:07 AM
Oregon
C
Catpincher Offline
trapper
Catpincher  Offline
trapper
C

Oregon
That is all fine and dandy, sounds like ACB will be a great Supreme Court justice. If she is all that we think she is, I hope that she is not a day late and a dollar short. RBG and her hen house ways and inablers have done a lot of damage in the last 25-30years.

Last edited by Catpincher; 09/28/20 10:56 AM.
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7002766
09/28/20 10:26 AM
09/28/20 10:26 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
5-4 NOT 6-3

Mean As Nails
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Catpincher] #7002802
09/28/20 11:13 AM
09/28/20 11:13 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Catpincher
That is all fine and dandy, sounds like ACB will be a great Supreme Court justice. If she is all that we think she is, I hope that she is not a day late and a dollar short. RBG and her hen house ways and inablers have done a lot of damage in the last 25-30years.

Isn't that the truth!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: white17] #7002808
09/28/20 11:19 AM
09/28/20 11:19 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by white17
5-4 NOT 6-3

Certainly true!

Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7002817
09/28/20 11:41 AM
09/28/20 11:41 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
She's not in yet fella's!!

I don't trust establishment republicans like Graham that didn't leave any time before the election in case of democrats delaying this at all.

Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7002926
09/28/20 02:05 PM
09/28/20 02:05 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
The democrats are saying the confirmation shouldn't take place until after the election because Obama's pick was rejected. But, the difference is that the democrats didn't have the majority in the senate then. If they had, they would have pushed through Obama's pick.

Could the democrats delay or postpone the confirmation if the democrats on the judiciary committee refused to show up for the hearings?

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Trapper7] #7002935
09/28/20 02:14 PM
09/28/20 02:14 PM
Three Lakes,WI 72
C
corky Offline
trapper
corky  Offline
trapper
C

Three Lakes,WI 72
Originally Posted by Trapper7
The democrats are saying the confirmation shouldn't take place until after the election because Obama's pick was rejected. But, the difference is that the democrats didn't have the majority in the senate then. If they had, they would have pushed through Obama's pick.

Could the democrats delay or postpone the confirmation if the democrats on the judiciary committee refused to show up for the hearings?

Short answer is no. Long answer is they can pull some parliamentary maneuvers but McConnell is a master of that kind of crap. If he pushes for a vote it will happen.

Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7002946
09/28/20 02:35 PM
09/28/20 02:35 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts. Feldman trying to get noticed by Biden in case Biden should win. Feldman sees himself as SCOTUS material.

Mean As Nails
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7002947
09/28/20 02:39 PM
09/28/20 02:39 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Durban says they can delay from hours to possibly a couple days by denying unanimous consent and having quorum calls.

I personally don't know all the tricks, just what some have said they might do.

Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7003547
09/29/20 06:02 AM
09/29/20 06:02 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
I heard Feldman on the NPR Radio say what he said about Ginsburg, McConnell etc., (gag me with a snow shovel) and you can tell he never worked at Big Mac flipping burgers or Walmart stocking shelves or even driving a taxis cab while in college. Seems like a lot of people now-a-days (and academics in particular) have few Real Life experiences to base decisions on and they fail to realize that attorneys did not form and write the Constitution and/or the Bill of Rights (a hodge-podge of business men led by Tommy J. did). It is rare to find an individual in a dishonest profession who isn't more interested in "settling out of court" or in "technicallities" than JUSTICE and has some integrity. Barrett may be the rare one and have that integrity. We will see if she gets appointed.......................... my take.......... the mike

Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Pete in Frbks] #7003826
09/29/20 11:54 AM
09/29/20 11:54 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Pete in Frbks
5-4 NOT 6-3

Certainly true!

That means it was 5-4 left leaning with Ginsburg. Who are the 4 liberal judges?

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: Actor] #7003869
09/29/20 12:46 PM
09/29/20 12:46 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Roberts is the left leaning swing vote now that Kennedy is gone.

Roberts, Breyer, Kagan, Sotomayor

Mean As Nails
Re: Amy Barrett receives endorsement from unlikely [Re: white17] #7003873
09/29/20 12:51 PM
09/29/20 12:51 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Roberts is the left leaning swing vote now that Kennedy is gone.

Roberts, Breyer, Kagan, Sotomayor

I feel the same way. Roberts has been a big disappointment to say the least.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread