Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Male Fisher?? #7002872
09/28/20 12:49 PM
09/28/20 12:49 PM
Barron Co, WI
W
wisconsinteacher Offline OP
trapper
wisconsinteacher  Offline OP
trapper
W

Barron Co, WI
How do you target male fisher? In the past, I have used 160's in a bucket on the ground with success. Unfortuanlly, I have only caught females. Is there a way to target just the big males other than footholds or cages where females can be released?

Re: Male Fisher?? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #7002882
09/28/20 01:03 PM
09/28/20 01:03 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted by wisconsinteacher
Is there a way to target just the big males other than footholds or cages where females can be released?
I seriously doubt it as a fisher is an opportunistic predator/scavenger that will eat virtually anything; berries, birds and eggs, fish and of coarse MEAT; thus are easy to trap.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Male Fisher?? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #7003039
09/28/20 04:55 PM
09/28/20 04:55 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
If you what only Male fisher then you should use live traps and just release the females. When they do marten and fisher studies they use live traps so you should be able to catch them that way.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Male Fisher?? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #7004865
09/30/20 04:48 PM
09/30/20 04:48 PM
new york
H
henpecked1 Offline
trapper
henpecked1  Offline
trapper
H

new york
Having only been tracking fisher in the snow for 5 years and having a limited season here in New York 5 days, these are some of my observation, these can also be coroberated by early writing of Dailey Arnold Locke and Woods. Big male fisher are like bobcats and old buck mink, they know where the females are at and keep tabs on them. I have noticed that these large fishers will not go around ponds and streams but actually swim across, they do not even shake off, they come out wet and keep moving they will go straight thru a swamp. You will find they use the same crossing every year. They will lay up in big woods, high on a large limb or hole, in the day where they have great visibility and will watch their domain and react to what ever enters it, these location are where old coon dens use to be, they are now long gone. So look for old growth coon habitat that does not have any coons and you might get onto a big fishers core area. They also have toilets near these sites, any one that has seen a mink den or a domesticated ferret will show you that they tend to go at the same spot. I have found multiple toilets on snags, with leaning timbers, blow downs. do not overlook large trees that cross streams even small streams, check for droppings. I know most will disagree but try targeting male only, you appear to be able to find the litters. it does require a little walking. Good luck. One other item, a heavier trap like an MB will wear them out quicker making them easier to release when caught out of season in coyote sets.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91