No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
The demonization of smoking...... #7003883
09/29/20 01:04 PM
09/29/20 01:04 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline OP
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin
YES, I BELIEVE SMOKING IS BAD, now to my point. Our culture has over demonized smoking in my opinion. If you look back in history soo many people smoked and lived long and healthy lives, but if you look into what they smoked you start to realize the difference. For instance in the 1940s smoking was HUGE and yes they were smoking tabbacoo but it was just that, just tabbacoo. Nowadays tabbacoo is mixed with extra nicotine and chemicals. The other thing is that in 1940s smoking was done as a way to relax and done socially less chainsmoking and sure it was still bad but significantly less so. Indians smoked tabbacoo, mullein and a host of other herbs, were they dropping of lung cancer? Maybe but not that I've heard of. Mullein has been proven to improve lung health, and yes EVEN when smoked. Infact Mullein has been shown to help repair the damage done by smoking regular cigarettes. So am I saying to smoke mullein? Not exactly I mean you can, or make it into tea or whatever. I just think amazing how we've lost things like smoking Mullein. MULLEIN is also a wonderful plant may be the closest thing to a wonder plant, it also relieves stress and tons of other things. So I dont disagree with the demonizing of conventional cigarettes but our ancestors have smoked things for soo long its ridiculous, the vikings smoked herbs as well. So I guess what I'm saying is that our culture has made smoking out to be a terrible thing when personally I believe its more of what you smoke. Just my 2 cents worth not saying you should smoke or anything. But thought some might have this interesting.
-Garrett.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7003888
09/29/20 01:13 PM
09/29/20 01:13 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape. They're now both full on nicotine addicts and are struggling to get off it. My point simply, if you're charmed with the notion that smoking is cool and want to get into it keep in mind nobody was born with an urge to smoke you actually have to endure some discomfort to get into it. It's so much easier to avoid it then to have to give it up once you're hooked, it's a terrible addiction.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7003893
09/29/20 01:20 PM
09/29/20 01:20 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
You can get the benefits of mullein from making and taking a tincture without having to harm your lungs by smoking.

Keith

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7003897
09/29/20 01:34 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline OP
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape. They're now both full on nicotine addicts and are struggling to get off it. My point simply, if you're charmed with the notion that smoking is cool and want to get into it keep in mind nobody was born with an urge to smoke you actually have to endure some discomfort to get into it. It's so much easier to avoid it then to have to give it up once you're hooked, it's a terrible addiction.

Oh trust me I know, vape is extremely terrible for you and so is smoking. In fact vape contains formaldehyde. And Im sorry if I came off wrong. I dont think anyone should smoke and I dont think its cool, what interesting to me is just how somethings like that are lost. And I am NOT saying it shouldn't be lost.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: KeithC] #7003898
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline OP
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin
Originally Posted by KeithC
You can get the benefits of mullein from making and taking a tincture without having to harm your lungs by smoking.

Keith

yes Im aware

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7003924
09/29/20 02:12 PM
09/29/20 02:12 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape.

Every time I see a guy sucking on a vaping device I just assume he is a homosexual who likes cylindrical objects on their lips. No offense to your boys but putting it the way I just did got two of my cousins of stop vaping almost instantly.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7003928
09/29/20 02:13 PM
09/29/20 02:13 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline OP
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
How old are you Garrett? I'm guessing 15 by your handle? My boys are 19 and 20 and both got sucked into the vaping trend when it started as harmless flavoured vape.

Every time I see a guy sucking on a vaping device I just assume he is a homosexual who likes cylindrical objects on their lips. No offense to your boys but putting it the way I just did got two of my cousins of stop vaping almost instantly.

Thats a good way of looking at it

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7003931
09/29/20 02:21 PM
09/29/20 02:21 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Watch your parents, only brother, 2 sisters, and several of your favorite aunts and uncles die too young of complications all related to smoking and second hand smoke and you'll be a little more jaded too. I hate smoking and will not be around it. Inconsiderate smokers are the worst. Puffing away not caring who they are stinking up or making sick with their vile smoke then tossing the butts where ever they fall as if the world is their ashtray. Smoking in cars and confined spaces with kids is even worse, anyone doing so should be ashamed of this abusive behavior.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7003952
09/29/20 03:04 PM
09/29/20 03:04 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

That would be meaningless, they're not homophobes.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7003960
09/29/20 03:20 PM
09/29/20 03:20 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I love mullein tea. It just came out of bloom around here. Lots of it grows around the RR tracks. I smoked until 15 years ago myself. Tough thing to quit. I see what you mean cowboy. My take on it is all those years ago people smoked more cigars and pipes which weren't inhaled as much. This could have been why there was less lung cancer (if there even was less). ADC, Im with you I think you should be flogged for smoking with kids in a car. I do find it hard to believe that smoking a different herb will help lung function whatsoever, it's still smoke.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: ~ADC~] #7003964
09/29/20 03:29 PM
09/29/20 03:29 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Watch your parents, only brother, 2 sisters, and several of your favorite aunts and uncles die too young of complications all related to smoking and second hand smoke and you'll be a little more jaded too. I hate smoking and will not be around it. Inconsiderate smokers are the worst. Puffing away not caring who they are stinking up or making sick with their vile smoke then tossing the butts where ever they fall as if the world is their ashtray. Smoking in cars and confined spaces with kids is even worse, anyone doing so should be ashamed of this abusive behavior.

X2

Mean As Nails
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: white17] #7003973
09/29/20 03:45 PM
09/29/20 03:45 PM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

X2

I tell those near me that if I see smoke I will assume they are on fire and will act accordingly. So, expect a bucket of water or being rolled around on the ground until the smoke clears...

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7003977
09/29/20 03:52 PM
09/29/20 03:52 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Online content
trapper
KeithC  Online Content
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I hate that most cigarette smokers feel entitled to throw their butts on the ground whenever they're done with them. I frequently have people who come here for birds throw their cigarette butts on the ground. I always make them pick the butts up if I see them do it. They always act embarrassed and sorry. You would think adult human beings would have the decency not to litter.

Keith

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: Turtledale] #7003984
09/29/20 04:07 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline OP
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin
Originally Posted by Turtledale
I love mullein tea. It just came out of bloom around here. Lots of it grows around the RR tracks. I smoked until 15 years ago myself. Tough thing to quit. I see what you mean cowboy. My take on it is all those years ago people smoked more cigars and pipes which weren't inhaled as much. This could have been why there was less lung cancer (if there even was less). ADC, Im with you I think you should be flogged for smoking with kids in a car. I do find it hard to believe that smoking a different herb will help lung function whatsoever, it's still smoke.

Right, I'm just going off of what I've read that smoking mullein is better, but I for sure agree it is still smoke and still bad.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7003985
Southern Illinois
F
Foxpaw Offline
trapper
Foxpaw  Offline
trapper
F

Southern Illinois
I do not smoke and never have. Watched my dad die from lung cancer and drowning on dry land is not a pretty thing.

My great great grandmother smoked a pipe all her life and most of all my relatives down to me. My gg grandma lived to be 92 and my gg grandpa lived to be 93 and was a smoker. I just wonder if any of the insecticide and herbicide on the tobacco now days could be a influencing factor?

I was talking to the druggist one day about my dad still smoking up until he died (try managing smoking and oxygen without get someone killed). Any way the pharmacist said his dad and grandpa lived to 95 and 92. He said everyone said drinking and smoking killed them both, lol.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: Foxpaw] #7003987
09/29/20 04:12 PM
09/29/20 04:12 PM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline OP
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline OP
trapper

wisconsin
Originally Posted by Foxpaw
I do not smoke and never have. Watched my dad die from lung cancer and drowning on dry land is not a pretty thing.

My great great grandmother smoked a pipe all her life and most of all my relatives down to me. My gg grandma lived to be 92 and my gg grandpa lived to be 93 and was a smoker. I just wonder if any of the insecticide and herbicide on the tobacco now days could be a influencing factor?

I was talking to the druggist one day about my dad still smoking up until he died (try managing smoking and oxygen without get someone killed). Any way the pharmacist said his dad and grandpa lived to 95 and 92. He said everyone said drinking and smoking killed them both, lol.

I think that insecticide and such must be a factor and the additional nicotine and bleached paper cigarettes are rolled in. My great uncle smoked a pipe and lived to be like 98. My Grandfather smoked all thru the Korean War, came home and never touched another cigarette he is 94 and unfortunately in rather poor health and has alzheimer's but he doesn't have lung conditions.

Last edited by cowboy2005; 09/29/20 04:13 PM.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7003997
09/29/20 04:33 PM
09/29/20 04:33 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
There is not one good thing about smoking. Period! I started when I was 13 and smoked for 30 years. My dad smoked and back in those days most everybody did. My sister died of lung cancer this past June. I remember buying cigarettes for 8 cents a pack in the service when we were at sea. I've been fortunate so far, but I do have COPD. Smoking is nothing but a dirty addictive habit. I quit cold turkey. Not everyone can. I don't want to be a preacher, but for Heaven's sake, quit while you still can.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7004002
09/29/20 04:42 PM
09/29/20 04:42 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
As you get into your 60's you begin to see the people you know that are/were smokers suffer health issues most non-smokers don't. In general the smokers you know start dying off about a decade sooner than your non-smoking friends. Also, as the smokers reached into their mid 40's smoking began to take a noticable toll on what they could do physically. Up to that point it didn't seem to make much of a difference and they all told themselves they were one of the lucky few who don't get affected much at all.

At a young age, teens or early 20's, perhaps an additional 10 years of life in what you feel is "old age" doesn't seem all that valuable. In your mid 60's that extra 10 years of active life could mean seeing a grandchild or great grandchild grow into an adult instead of dying when they are 10. From that perspective those 10 years are golden.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: KeithC] #7004003
09/29/20 04:43 PM
09/29/20 04:43 PM
Michigan
coonlove Offline
trapper
coonlove  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Originally Posted by KeithC
I hate that most cigarette smokers feel entitled to throw their butts on the ground whenever they're done with them. I frequently have people who come here for birds throw their cigarette butts on the ground. I always make them pick the butts up if I see them do it. They always act embarrassed and sorry. You would think adult human beings would have the decency not to litter.

Keith

One of the most disgusting things that I observed in my many years working in factories was men throwing cigarette butts in the urinals , knowing that some poor janitor would have to fish them out. How sick!

"I'm the paterfamilias"
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7004007
09/29/20 04:49 PM
09/29/20 04:49 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
I was gonna quit smoking,,but I figured it would be bad for my health,,cause smoking makes me cough,,and that's the only exercise I get. wink

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread