No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: J.Morse] #7004576
09/30/20 10:00 AM
09/30/20 10:00 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by J.Morse
I have had lung issues my entire life. Was severely asthmatic as a baby, and still am. I never smoked cigarettes. Parents were two pack a day smokers, all my siblings did. Of the 4 of us kids, I am the only one still alive. My one sister died at 52 of liver cancer, the other two from smoking. My oldest sister made it to 66, my brother 40. My brother smoked so much that his fingers were stained yellow. This following story is how much attitudes about smoking have changed......I had to do those danged allergy shots weekly for years as a kid. One time when at the MD's office getting the shot I was having a bad day from asthma. My mother commented to the doctor , who was puffing a cigarette, that I complained about cigarette smoke bothering me.....that doctor literally took a drag and blew the smoke in my face and said it was all in my head! Can you imagine some Sawbones doing that in this day and age and the thing being recorded? The lawyers would be richer and the kid on every talk show in the country. What did I get? I got my allergy shot and was sent on my way, only to ride home with my mother who was puffing away. All I have for advice to anyone about smoking.....don't start, quit if you already do, and if you haven't quit, DON'T do it with your kids in the car.

My parents often comment how bad they feel about raising us kids in cigarette smoke filled environments. 3 kids lying on the floor of the back seat of the old impala gagging on the blue haze on long journeys. It's an offence now in Ontario to smoke in a car with children on board and it would be reported to child and family services if caught.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7004583
09/30/20 10:11 AM
09/30/20 10:11 AM
SE Missouri.
P
Pirogue Offline
trapper
Pirogue  Offline
trapper
P

SE Missouri.
I just find it a bit ironic when fat people preach to smokers about unhealthy habits. crazy

P

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7004594
09/30/20 10:30 AM
09/30/20 10:30 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

Wow, you're a real inspiration for the kids.

Don't get me wrong, I wish to God I'd never started smoking. I definitely can't run up and down these hills anymore the way I could if I wasn't a smoker. I also spend the first half hour of the day hacking my lungs out most days. I was just commenting that I don't believe smoking has anything to do with whether or not you get a cold or flu.

Quitting smoking is very hard. It's much, much easier to never start and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7004598
09/30/20 10:34 AM
09/30/20 10:34 AM
Tug Hill, NY
Redknot Offline
trapper
Redknot  Offline
trapper

Tug Hill, NY
Originally Posted by Boco
Originally Posted by walleyed
[quote=Boco]Mullein leaf is the best trap pan cover-fuzzy side up it holds the covering well and stands up well to freeze thaw conditions under the trap too.

You spelled Mullin wrong, there Robert

w

verbascum thapsis. Commonly called the flannel leaf plant.

Latin terminology would look like:

Verbascum thapsus; or

Verbascum thapsus.

~Illegitimi Non Carborundum~
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: yotetrapper30] #7004604
09/30/20 10:42 AM
09/30/20 10:42 AM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

Don't get me wrong, I wish to God I'd never started smoking. I definitely can't run up and down these hills anymore the way I could if I wasn't a smoker. I also spend the first half hour of the day hacking my lungs out most days. I was just commenting that I don't believe smoking has anything to do with whether or not you get a cold or flu.

Quitting smoking is very hard. It's much, much easier to never start and if I had it to do over, I wouldn't.

I knew this is how you felt about it. Thanks.

Obviously from some of the digs you see in this post I'm too fat, but I'd never try to defend it or blow it off as if it's OK. The OP posted about smoking not bad eating/exercising habits. Incidently NONE of those relatives I mentioned that died of smoking related deaths were obese, my brother for example was 48, he was 5'10 maybe 175lbs. smoked like a freight train though. I'm the lucky fat guy of the family.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: yotetrapper30] #7004606
09/30/20 10:43 AM
09/30/20 10:43 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

When I made up my mind I was going to give it up my greatest hurdle or fear was the notion that I would never enjoy those moments in life that you associated most closely with smoking. For me those moments included that great first cup of joe in the morning, a cold beer with friends, being out in the boat casting a line, having a dart at coffee break at work with coworkers, etc. If there's one piece of advice I can give to those wanting to quit, all that is a dirty elusion. Once you get over the hurdle of the craving/addiction, all those experiences are better without it. Keep this in mind as well: having a cigarette doesn't make you feel better, it only brings you back to baseline.

Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7004813
09/30/20 03:19 PM
09/30/20 03:19 PM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
I have said this over and over and will say it here probably again it's not the smoking that kills people. It's the one or two packs a day if you smoke a few a week or a few a month it will not hurt you I diped, chew,and smoked for 25 years ago. I quit 13 years ago because it was nonstop all day now I still enjoy a cigar about 8 or 9 times a year. The same with beer or any kind of alcohol probably even less most years because now I control it it doesn't control me.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: The demonization of smoking...... [Re: cowboy2005] #7004828
09/30/20 03:49 PM
09/30/20 03:49 PM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
I think there's a difference between saying smoking is bad for you, which it obviously is, and demonizing people who smoke or dip.
A person with a bad habit isn't automatically a bad person

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread