No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7005172
09/30/20 11:23 PM
09/30/20 11:23 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I do alot of wood working with barn wood, sometimes when I dont have the pieces I need i have to improvise with newer dimensional lumber. Wire wheels add texture as they remove the softer wood and the harder layers of the grain protrude, just like finish sanding go with the grain. A quick surface burn with a weed torch and then wire wheel also make some great results. Ive beat boards with hammers,wrenches,chain, and even drug a newly constructed table top that had been painted down our gravel driveway with outstanding results after sanding and stain/glaze/danish oil. Grey stains, dark stains, and use of glazes oan or paints normally can get you really close. Its really hard to recreate mother nature’s beauty.

Failure leads to learning, learning leads to improvement.

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7005174
09/30/20 11:30 PM
09/30/20 11:30 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Finish the first shelf the same way you do the new shelf and they will match perfectly, by that I mean wire wheel and grey stain with some darker grey/brown glaze. The problem with matching natural grey faded wood that’s unfinished is that the exterior is dry and looks dry and dull, any stains or techniques will not give you that dry soft finish mother nature does.

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? [Re: Wolfdog91] #7005346
10/01/20 08:27 AM
10/01/20 08:27 AM
Alabama
K
KB64 Offline
trapper
KB64  Offline
trapper
K

Alabama
Iron sulfate like applied to lawns to give it color. When I sprayed lawns in college it was a big deal if we got spray on wood fences. It'll turn it a nice grey color.

Re: How to give wood a weathered look quickly? [Re: KB64] #7005434
10/01/20 10:48 AM
10/01/20 10:48 AM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Thanks for the tip KB64!!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread