No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from #7005671
10/01/20 04:16 PM
10/01/20 04:16 PM
orwigsburg, pa
J
john epler Offline OP
trapper
john epler  Offline OP
trapper
J

orwigsburg, pa
A while back I was amused with the story in Fur fish game about a southeastern fur buyer they called old Charlie. No one seemed to remember that his last name was Winters. I was wondering how many of you remember some of the old time fur buyers from the boom era. Because I spent over 40 years buying fur in my shop and on the road I met a lot of buyers from New York to the Carolinas. As a youngster I sold my fur to a local dealer by the name of Harold Adam. He was in the Hamburg Pennsylvania area and bought fur for several decades. Something I will always remember was that I bought some of the last muskrats he processed. Does anyone else remember this man? He owned a hardware store and sold Valspar paint along wth the general run of hardware. Who do you remember from way back when? John

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005694
10/01/20 05:01 PM
10/01/20 05:01 PM
READING, PA
G
GREG KOHL Offline
trapper
GREG KOHL  Offline
trapper
G

READING, PA
Oh I remember Charlie he was third generation buying fur. His son helped him in skinning but did not want to take over the business. As a kid it was great going their and seeing what he bought that day. Sometimes there would be hundreds of muskrats on the floor. He sold O.L. Butcher lures and I bought traps from him. He was always a fair man to deal with. He taught me how to skin Muskrats and raccoons. He had a list on the wall dating back to the 1930's of the prices paid for Muskrats. I can still smell the wonderful aroma that was ever present in his shop. If memory serves me right rats were around 5 bucks during the depression. I was told many a farmer saved their farm by trapping Muskrats. Never sold any fur to Harold Adam but I did buy some old skunk stretchers from him when he stoped buying fur. In the 60's there was just about a fur buyer in every other Township. There was Harold Batdorf in Womelsdorf, John Eby in Gap and Blimeline around Mohnton. There was another guy over towards Kutztown which I can not recall his name. It was good times miss those time. The only thing I don't miss was all the trap thieves there were back then.

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005708
10/01/20 05:19 PM
10/01/20 05:19 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Bud Stewart of Fenton,Michigan.The same man who today is remembered for his hand carved fishing lures.Funny thing,I've seen many stories over the years about Bud and his lures,but never mention his fur buying.He bought thousands of 'rats over the years,his nickname was the "rat man".He was a tough old bird,but fair.Going into his shop at the heighth of trapping season was an experience you remember the rest of your life.Lots of things going on all fur and trapping related,you were in heaven.Too bad we took those times for granted,never thought there'd be a day it'd all be gone.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005730
10/01/20 05:41 PM
10/01/20 05:41 PM
Albany, NY
B
bobsheedy Offline
trapper
bobsheedy  Offline
trapper
B

Albany, NY

Irving Polikoff, Poughkeepsie, NY

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005754
10/01/20 06:14 PM
10/01/20 06:14 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
I remember Fred Fowler, Bill Schaefer, Don Doney, Bill McConnell, and Bridlestein in Honesdale PA. Ken Connelly in Schoharie NY. I can still picture all their places and, yes the aroma to a kid. One fur buyers wife was making apple pie and flipped thru a stack of rats and went back to kneading the dough no hand washing!

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005821
10/01/20 07:39 PM
10/01/20 07:39 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline

Central Pennsylvania
Did anyone know/remember Irving Hollander?

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: Nittany Lion] #7005853
10/01/20 08:12 PM
10/01/20 08:12 PM
Pa
F
Fahnfurs Offline
trapper
Fahnfurs  Offline
trapper
F

Pa
Yeah, I remember him nittany, plus John slaybaugh in aspers, plus Al holencek

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005865
10/01/20 08:23 PM
10/01/20 08:23 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I sold a lot of fur to Harry Smeal from Scribner Nebraska in my early days then later on to his son Bob. They wrote "The market, our guess" for The Trapper back then.

When the color grade started on Coon Bob caught on quick but Harry said it was BS. Harry was basically retired but watched the shop on Wednesday nights when Bob had bowling league. I wasn't a fan of the color grade either so I sold a lot of Coons on Wednesday nights back then. whistle

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005884
10/01/20 08:49 PM
10/01/20 08:49 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by john epler
A while back I was amused with the story in Fur fish game about a southeastern fur buyer they called old Charlie. No one seemed to remember that his last name was Winters.

John

I remember Charlie Winters John. My dad took me and my brother to see him, and to sell some muskrats to him back in the late sixties. My dad used to sell rats to him back in the day and Charlie had some interesting stories to tell. If I recall correctly his shop was somewhere in the Reinholds area.

I had forgotten about about Charlie, including his last name, until read the article in FFG. i wondered if it could be the same guy so I tracked down the author, Craig Egolf and ask him. Craig wasn't very helpful and it seemed like he had never met Charlie although he wrote about him like he had.

I remember Charlie telling me how young trappers, my dad included, would sometimes rub stovepipe soot on their skunks in an effort to trick him into paying more. Back then the less white on a skunk the more valuable it was. I think it's opposite that today.

I don't think very many fooled old Charlie.

Eh...wot?

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005890
10/01/20 08:56 PM
10/01/20 08:56 PM
Missouri
M
mississippiposse Offline
trapper
mississippiposse  Offline
trapper
M

Missouri
Mark Morris. Louisiana, Mo sold to him in the 80s. Also big in fishing nets

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: GREG KOHL] #7005894
10/01/20 09:03 PM
10/01/20 09:03 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by GREG KOHL
There was another guy over towards Kutztown which I can not recall his name. It was good times miss those time. The only thing I don't miss was all the trap thieves there were back then.

Their were two guys buying near Kutztown. I sold to both of them. The only one I remember is a guy named Baumbach (sp). We called him Mountain Boomy. He had an old truck with a cap on it and would park at the beer distributor in Kutztown (now called Duffer's but different owner back then).

Boomy was a character. Sometimes he'd offer an Oreo cookie and shot of whiskey before dealing on your furs. He always had a truckload by the end of the night.

Eh...wot?

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005943
10/01/20 09:56 PM
10/01/20 09:56 PM
Ohio
N
newtoga Offline
trapper
newtoga  Offline
trapper
N

Ohio
I sold a lot of fur to Bill Henry in Freeport Ohio back in the late 60’s and early 70’s. He had two or three barns full of coons and rats. The basement of the house was full also. Always paid me cash.

lifetime member NTA, OSTA, GTA
Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005956
10/01/20 10:09 PM
10/01/20 10:09 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Ezra Vincent Chippewa Falls WI. Hour from home but was straight shooter and fair. Never forget in the early 80's I took my first fur in. I walked into his basement shop and on the back of the door a beautiful jet black fur. I checked it out and said what is this. Ezra say's cat! I say what kind, he says house giving $6.00 a piece. If ya catch any bring'em in. I was like oookay! LOL

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7005985
10/01/20 10:34 PM
10/01/20 10:34 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
My first fur buyer was a taxidermist in Elmira, Oregon by the name of Schmid. Sold a lot of nutrias in the round. $3, $2 or $1 depending on the size.

He also said if I caught any nicer looking house cats to bring those in too as he had a market in England for them.

Last edited by beaverpeeler; 10/01/20 10:34 PM.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7006069
10/02/20 12:42 AM
10/02/20 12:42 AM
Wyoming
T
ttzt Offline
trapper
ttzt  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
I sold alot of nutria rats to George Yarbrough in Peck, LA. He had a large operation there and bought fur all over. The other buyer I remember well was Robert Lord in Gilbert. He bought out of his house because he couldn't get around very well anymore. Great memories of both places. I also sold to several traveling buyers over the years, but there is just something about being in a fur shed or someone's kitchen and going over fur and telling stories. Mr. George let me use his nutria boards and Mr. Robert sent me home with a dozen #2 Northwoods, those were the first coil spring traps I ever put my hands on. Those old time buyers helped alot of kids get started.

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7006151
10/02/20 04:52 AM
10/02/20 04:52 AM
n.e. pa.
F
foxpee Offline
trapper
foxpee  Offline
trapper
F

n.e. pa.
I sold to many also including you John. Does anyone remember Joe Glova from Harvey's lake? As a kid I used to get a ride to his house and sell a few pelts every year. Don't forget Nick Wyshinski from Berwick. I always enjoyed going to his shop.

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7006184
10/02/20 06:44 AM
10/02/20 06:44 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
Stan Krofick in Latrobe

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7006212
10/02/20 07:10 AM
10/02/20 07:10 AM
Pennsylvania
H
Hern Offline
trapper
Hern  Offline
trapper
H

Pennsylvania
John Epler, great post. You brought back a lot of fond memories of fur buyers.

One funny set up as a fur buyer was Ron Julian Reeder, Sunbury, Pa.
This was in the time frame of bell bottoms and the movie 'Shampoo.'
Ron was a women's hair dresser. His beauty shop was called 'Julian's'. A swanky, high priced place.
In the back alley was a sign, Reeder's Raw Fur. Lots of fur when in the back door along with sales of lures, Fox pee and Skunk juice.
Ron later sold the beauty shop and continue to buy fur from his home in Hummels Wharf.

Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7006243
10/02/20 07:39 AM
10/02/20 07:39 AM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
I ran into a old buyer i sold to as a teenager a few years ago while getting my oil changed, didn't know him and he didn't
know me but as we talked i asked his name and he said Raymond Fowler and i started laughing, told him id sold to him
back when and where and he said oh you were one of those kids that would bring fur every two weeks when id stop at
the old sewing plant and i said yep.

I had no idea back then he was buying for Duke, later to be known as Duke Trap Company! After the boom he became
a baptist preacher, lol. I learned last year he had passed away.

Yes fond memorie's of meeting up with the fur buyers who came through town. Ronald Marchant was the main one and
i saw him several years ago as well coming out of a store. I imagine he bought more fur than anyone else in the state for
alot of years. Could trade a big coon hide for a dozen 1.5 coils he would carry in his truck, how i got most of my traps back
then.

No one will ever know what impact those guys had on trapping by providing us kids an outlet for our fur as well as teaching
us about fur handling and such. The trapping world will never be the same again without them.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Remembering old Charlie and other fur buyers from [Re: john epler] #7006275
10/02/20 08:05 AM
10/02/20 08:05 AM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Nittany Lion  Offline

Central Pennsylvania
The Irving Hollander(Sp?) I mentioned earlier was a big time buyer from New York, he would buy fur from the local buyers. When he was in the area buying from the local buyers he would go to a farm house near where I lived. That farmer would call trappers such as myself and have them come to his place at a certain time when Irving would be there. It was always quite an experience to sell to Irving as he had a good sense of humor. I remember one time I was there I had a red fox that I almost ripped in two when I turned it. When I presented it to Irving he said I can only give you $10 for the fox as is, if you would have sewn it I would pay $50. A friend that was standing nearby told me I should ask Irving's wife (she was along) to sew it, so I did. She said she would be glad to sew it for me. When she finished Irving gave me $50 for the fox.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread