No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap wax question #7006439
10/02/20 10:22 AM
10/02/20 10:22 AM
Broome NY . not the city
greenetrapper Offline OP
trapper
greenetrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Broome NY . not the city
I have a pot from a few years back about half full. Is it ok to use or do I need new every time I dip them .

Re: Trap wax question [Re: greenetrapper] #7006452
10/02/20 10:34 AM
10/02/20 10:34 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Use it.

Re: Trap wax question [Re: greenetrapper] #7006458
10/02/20 10:41 AM
10/02/20 10:41 AM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I use same wax pot year after year, just add new each time. Only time ive changed it is when it had a large amount of debris fall into pot of hot wax and I ordered new blocks of wax once that smelled like the cotton candy stand and catch rate that year was affected. Not sure why that wax smelled so sweet but it was very strong sweet smell. Ive never noticed a difference in catch rate from used wax and new wax that didnt start of with a odor. I do make a point to keep wax clean while storing also with plastic wrap over top of pot and lid on it. Just my experience, sure others will give you more advice.

Failure leads to learning, learning leads to improvement.

Re: Trap wax question [Re: greenetrapper] #7006828
10/02/20 06:48 PM
10/02/20 06:48 PM
Hot Springs SD
L
Larry Bowden Offline
trapper
Larry Bowden  Offline
trapper
L

Hot Springs SD
Store your existing pot of wax in a very good sealed container. Just like waxed traps wax will absorb odors from all kinds of things like gas, oil, solvents, smoke and just about anything that omits and odor.
I add new bars of wax to my existing pot. If the wax is getting pretty dirty I will scrap in and start a new.
Pressure washing or cleaning your traps before dying and waxing is a good idea.

Western SD Fur Harvesters, SDTA, NTA, FTA and life member of NRA. Cancer survivor (7 years) and still fighting it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread