No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter


Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum


~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~


Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Joe Goodman Prints
Please support Joe Goodman because he supports us with donations


Print Thread
Hop To
? For Bird People #7007777
10/03/20 05:33 PM
10/03/20 05:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
We hear a knock on our door. My son expecting a friend attends to the knock to find itís a Canadian goose. lol our lab goes to the door and gives it the stare down. The goose stands tall, the dog stands. The goose lowers itís head, the dog lays on the floor. I open the door and itís on. The goose takes flight but is back o the ground quick with the dog in extreme pursuit. The goose takes flight, maybe five feet off the ground, rounds the greenhouse and flies directly at me. Just before it gets to me I raise my hands to catch it. It banks right but there isnít room for the maneuver and clips itís right wind against the house crashing it into the side of the house. It falls behind the grille and as it escapes from underneath I capture it. I know what is wrong with me and the dog but what is wrong with the goose?



-Goofy-
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7007791
10/03/20 05:47 PM
10/03/20 05:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,904
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,904
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
May be one who was fed treats by someone as it was growing up...I have at present two adult tom turkeys and a mob of this past spring younger ones. They stop in almost every day and visit me ...they talk softly and circle me as I speak to them in my own unique calling voice , so that they know me from other two legged creatures , as I give them a bit of grain treats.

These are totally wary and wild at all times, except in the unique situation with me.

Just a guess with your birdie grin Does he have a leg band ?

Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7007803
10/03/20 05:59 PM
10/03/20 05:59 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
No leg band. I thought maybe it was sick. Appears to be okay no injuries. I cannot have that thing crapping all over the yard. I turned it loose on the cabin property. Probably going to be fox dinner if it doesnít get itself together.



-Goofy-
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7007806
10/03/20 06:01 PM
10/03/20 06:01 PM
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,904
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,904
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Fertilizer......he doesn't know bettah...... grin

Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7007836
10/03/20 06:28 PM
10/03/20 06:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,446
Eastern Shore of Maryland
bad karma Offline
trapper
bad karma  Offline
trapper

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,446
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
what is wrong with the goose?


Drank some of the water in Barren Creek ?


Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7007848
10/03/20 06:45 PM
10/03/20 06:45 PM
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 94
ontario
K
k9-hunter Offline
trapper
k9-hunter  Offline
trapper
K

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 94
ontario
i had something similar approx 20 yrs ago every day while i was out bow hunting(ground blind) i had this fawn come and stick his head in scared the crap out me the first timebut every morning for two weeks he came stuck his head in than left never no doe with him

Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7007886
10/03/20 07:41 PM
10/03/20 07:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 712
Southern NJ
maintenanceguy Offline
trapper
maintenanceguy  Offline
trapper

Joined: Mar 2019
Posts: 712
Southern NJ
Got a weekend call at work a couple of years ago. One of our buildings has a 100% glass exterior. A goose punched a 12" diameter hole in the 2nd floor and was stuck in a classroom - apparently for the whole weekend. The room was destroyed. The goose not only crapped on everything, he knocked every item off of every shelf, opened cabinets and threw everything on the floor, cleaned out the contents of student desks, and tore down all the window blinds.

There were a couple of guys already there when I got there on Sunday afternoon. They were waiting for me, figured I would know what to do. I never tried to get a wild goose out of a classroom before but I faked it.

After a short wrestling match, I was holding the goose by the shoulders and it was flapping wildly, smacking me in the face with it's wings, while I was spinning in circles trying to keep it from getting away from me...again. One of the guys had a box and was waiting for me to put the goose in the box. He didn't actually offer any help but while I was in the middle of my wrestling match, he did offer an encouraging "Boy, that bird doesn't like that."

After we got him boxed up and took him outside, I opened the box and knocked it over on it's side. The goose slowly walked out of the box and walked away in slow motion stopping every 5 feet or so to stop and look back at us. Probably took 10 minutes for it to walk 100 yards away. Wasn't what I expected. If I had just lost a wrestling match and been shoved in a box, my escape would have been a lot faster.


-Ryan
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7008033
10/03/20 09:01 PM
10/03/20 09:01 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,139
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Online mad
trapper
Northof50  Online Mad
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,139
Manitoba
Flight phychology....throw them in the air
and they fly away
leave them on the ground and they walk

Re: ? For Bird People [Re: bad karma] #7008165
10/04/20 03:48 AM
10/04/20 03:48 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by bad karma
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
what is wrong with the goose?


Drank some of the water in Barren Creek ?


Nah, I drank plenty of it when I was a kid swimming in it. I turned out fine. lol



-Goofy-
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: Northof50] #7008167
10/04/20 03:51 AM
10/04/20 03:51 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Northof50
Flight phychology....throw them in the air
and they fly away
leave them on the ground and they walk


Threw it in the air, it flew for about 30yds. When I left, it was wandering around in some tall grass. I expect to find feathers near there this morning.



-Goofy-
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: maintenanceguy] #7008168
10/04/20 03:55 AM
10/04/20 03:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy
Got a weekend call at work a couple of years ago. One of our buildings has a 100% glass exterior. A goose punched a 12" diameter hole in the 2nd floor and was stuck in a classroom - apparently for the whole weekend. The room was destroyed. The goose not only crapped on everything, he knocked every item off of every shelf, opened cabinets and threw everything on the floor, cleaned out the contents of student desks, and tore down all the window blinds.

There were a couple of guys already there when I got there on Sunday afternoon. They were waiting for me, figured I would know what to do. I never tried to get a wild goose out of a classroom before but I faked it.

After a short wrestling match, I was holding the goose by the shoulders and it was flapping wildly, smacking me in the face with it's wings, while I was spinning in circles trying to keep it from getting away from me...again. One of the guys had a box and was waiting for me to put the goose in the box. He didn't actually offer any help but while I was in the middle of my wrestling match, he did offer an encouraging "Boy, that bird doesn't like that."

After we got him boxed up and took him outside, I opened the box and knocked it over on it's side. The goose slowly walked out of the box and walked away in slow motion stopping every 5 feet or so to stop and look back at us. Probably took 10 minutes for it to walk 100 yards away. Wasn't what I expected. If I had just lost a wrestling match and been shoved in a box, my escape would have been a lot faster.


Having been a ďchicken catcherĒ in my early years employed, I was no match for it. lol



-Goofy-
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7008170
10/04/20 03:59 AM
10/04/20 03:59 AM
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 883
Chautauqua co. NY
T
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper
T

Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 883
Chautauqua co. NY
You just had an early truck or treater. Give it some candy corn and maybe it'll go away

Re: ? For Bird People [Re: Turtledale] #7008205
10/04/20 05:45 AM
10/04/20 05:45 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by Turtledale
You just had an early truck or treater. Give it some candy corn and maybe it'll go away


I would say it flew over and saw the chickens feeding on scratch grains. Figured since they were penned up someone in the house must have gave it to them. Realizing that whoever lived there likes chickens so maybe they would also like geese. It came to the door and knocked, but I would be wrong.



-Goofy-
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7008208
10/04/20 05:55 AM
10/04/20 05:55 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,767
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,767
Sandhills Nebraska
It had been eating hemp. laugh


I know I'm paranoid......but am I paranoid ENOUGH???
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7008211
10/04/20 05:58 AM
10/04/20 05:58 AM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 17,223
Eastern Shore of Maryland
If it had, my neighbors aren't going to be happy. lol



-Goofy-
Re: ? For Bird People [Re: Gary Benson] #7008958
10/04/20 10:08 PM
10/04/20 10:08 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,139
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Online mad
trapper
Northof50  Online Mad
trapper
N

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,139
Manitoba
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
It had been eating hemp. laugh

My best goose shoot have been when they are flying out of a hemp field--------------they are always in a straight line of flight

they sure have a happy face on them there

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread