No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Deer crop damage thread #7010071
10/06/20 03:23 AM
10/06/20 03:23 AM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline OP
trapper
dkrug  Offline OP
trapper
D

Illinois

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010173
10/06/20 07:52 AM
10/06/20 07:52 AM
South Dakota
P
Prn Offline
trapper
Prn  Offline
trapper
P

South Dakota
Interesting read.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010180
10/06/20 08:02 AM
10/06/20 08:02 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Here they will issue depradation permits, but require the farmers to field dress them and salvage them. They can give the meat to the "feed the families" thing, if the farmer pays for everything. It is stupid.
There's a guy here that has elk on his properties. They did $10,000 damage to one pivot one year.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010199
10/06/20 08:37 AM
10/06/20 08:37 AM
western Oklahoma
D
Davisfur Offline
trapper
Davisfur  Offline
trapper
D

western Oklahoma
Same here Gary. There are farmers around here that would not let someone deer hunt thier ground to save thier own soul but instead use depredation permits and massacre the deer at night. Only difference is they either aren't required to save the meat like where you are or they just don't care because the deer end up piled in a ditch somewhere.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010222
10/06/20 09:07 AM
10/06/20 09:07 AM
WI
B
Badger23 Online content
trapper
Badger23  Online Content
trapper
B

WI
I wish I was seeing more deer in SW WI. I haven't seen much so far. 6 trips out and 3 trips I saw 0 deer. Here in Wi, the landowners don't want the deer shot by the average hunter because they don't give permission. I'll take a doe or 2 without issue if the herd justifies it. I have yet to see where it does around me. Two neighboring landowners that hunt themselves don't shoot does so the herds not too out of hand. I'm letting the does and fawns walk right now because I don't see many deer. The DNR has never been able to count deer in WI that I know of.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010230
10/06/20 09:19 AM
10/06/20 09:19 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
"It seems everyone wants to hunt deer but they don't want to actually kill deer. They just want the big trophy racks."

This comment sums it up pretty nicely.

In WI in 2019 just short of 800,000 deer hunting licenses were sold, a total of just over 200,000 deer harvested.

Comes out to .25 deer/license

Pretty weak when you consider that one license is good for more than one deer. This year in my area a bow license is good for 3 deer.

Its obvious that the vast majority of hunters care nothing about the health of the herd and the environment, only about the chance to have antlers to brag about.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: Badger23] #7010240
10/06/20 09:32 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Badger23
I wish I was seeing more deer in SW WI. I haven't seen much so far. 6 trips out and 3 trips I saw 0 deer. Here in Wi, the landowners don't want the deer shot by the average hunter because they don't give permission. I'll take a doe or 2 without issue if the herd justifies it. I have yet to see where it does around me. Two neighboring landowners that hunt themselves don't shoot does so the herds not too out of hand. I'm letting the does and fawns walk right now because I don't see many deer. The DNR has never been able to count deer in WI that I know of.

Just cause you don't see deer doesn't mean there aren't any.
I live in a rural place, I see deer from the house with regularity.
At certain times of the year I see very few. Late winter is when the most are seen. No cover on the trees, snow on the ground and the deer are hungry, they will congregate on food sources.
Now is not best time for seeing deer. Give it a month, it'll get better.

I hear the "letting them walk" comment a lot. Then later in the year its, "I'm waiting for a buck as they are in the rut now" Then after gun season most the bow hunters hang it up, never shooting a deer at all.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010241
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI
The farmer next to the farm I gun hunt on shot 19 deer last summer on ag permits. No wonder I didn't see any last season.

I'd be real hesitant to shoot a doe out there this year because we see so few deer. Yet the neighbor seems intent on blasting every one he sees.

Antlers are nice, but I just want meat for the freezer. Antler worship has done more harm than good for all hunting and trapping pursuits.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010249
10/06/20 09:46 AM
10/06/20 09:46 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
"We have the same issue. Had young fellow stop other day wanting to hunt one of our woods bad and first thing out of his mouth was I only shoot bucks. I guess he must have thought that would make me happy. I assume he saw a nice buck or two run into the woods and why he was so interested. I politely sent him on his way. We have some guys we allow to hunt that are pretty good about taking does and nice buck if it happens along which is fine with me but they just can't keep up with the rate they are repopulating at."

What to hunt on private land owned by farmers, Tell them you will shoot only does and your wife has a license that you regularly fill.

I allow one guy to hunt my place, small 20 some acres, First question I always ask is do you shoot does?
Most guys puff up their chests and say "I only shoot Bucks!" Those guys I don't allow in.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010251
10/06/20 09:47 AM
10/06/20 09:47 AM
WI
B
Badger23 Online content
trapper
Badger23  Online Content
trapper
B

WI
Every area is different to Dirty D. I also talk to the one neighboring landowner who has game cameras out and he's not seeing as many deer as he used to. The other one that hunts that I talked to last year after the 2nd day of gun season asked where are the deer?? I told him I hadn't seen many and I wish I knew. I shoot one most years, only once in the last 15 years or so did I not get one. I missed a doe during gun season that year and it was the only shot I had. Walking the edges of the neighbors fields so far this year there is not a lot of trails going under/over the fences. The corns coming out on the one farm probably this week as they started Monday so we'll see.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: k snow] #7010261
10/06/20 09:59 AM
10/06/20 09:59 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by k snow
The farmer next to the farm I gun hunt on shot 19 deer last summer on ag permits. No wonder I didn't see any last season.

I'd be real hesitant to shoot a doe out there this year because we see so few deer. Yet the neighbor seems intent on blasting every one he sees.

Antlers are nice, but I just want meat for the freezer. Antler worship has done more harm than good for all hunting and trapping pursuits.

I'm in the same area. Trouble is most of the land is private.
Fewer people allow access cause one ruins it for the many.
I have one chunk of land in the area that is off limits and the deer know this.
During gun season the deer are all there by 8am opening day.

There is state hunting land in my area, right next to it is the chunk of land that is off limits.
During the gun season you can see 1-2 dozen deer in the fields on this place every evening.

Opening morning is your best time to get a deer around here.
Your odds drop to near zero after opening day.
The deer just disappear till a couple of days after the season closes. I see it every year.

Don't worry about shooting does, deer repopulate very quickly. I read a study done in MI I believe back in the '60's. Large chunk of land (several sq miles) was fenced, deer population was almost wiped out and in 2-3 years it was greater than the surrounding area.
Do some research on deer populations on reserves that allow hunting and population dynamics. It'll ease your mind when you realize how quickly they come back.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: Badger23] #7010267
10/06/20 10:11 AM
10/06/20 10:11 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Badger23
Every area is different to Dirty D. I also talk to the one neighboring landowner who has game cameras out and he's not seeing as many deer as he used to. The other one that hunts that I talked to last year after the 2nd day of gun season asked where are the deer?? I told him I hadn't seen many and I wish I knew. I shoot one most years, only once in the last 15 years or so did I not get one. I missed a doe during gun season that year and it was the only shot I had. Walking the edges of the neighbors fields so far this year there is not a lot of trails going under/over the fences. The corns coming out on the one farm probably this week as they started Monday so we'll see.

Very True.
People seeing deer is after all anecdotal. Doesn't prove anything.

Best way to tell in my area and areas with similar vegetation is taking a walk in the woods. Amount of browse damage on plants and lack of certain plants is best indicator what the true population.
Crop fields are a good food source at certain times of the year, other times they are a desert, not much can survive in there. Its at these times the deer hit the stuff that is there all year round.

This all gets back to the question of how many deer should there be?
There is a point where a deer herd starts adversely effecting the world around it. Is that too many deer then?
Or if you don't see any deer does that mean there aren't enough?

I don't see lots of animals that are around. Skunks, Possums, Foxes does that mean that the population is too low?

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010270
10/06/20 10:13 AM
10/06/20 10:13 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI
When deer are shot at all summer, that makes even opening morning tough. I know several private tracts that are "sanctuaries." See dozens and dozens of deer in them. I must be affecting the herd genetics, fewer of them seem to hop the fence anymore.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010304
10/06/20 10:52 AM
10/06/20 10:52 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
K Snow, I don't think many deer are shot legally during the summer, Farmers doing illegal is another thing.

DNR has list of farmers getting crop damage permits.
None in Sheboygan Co.

https://dnrx.wisconsin.gov/wdacp/public/permit/2020/deer

I read thru the reponses in the OP's link.

Many of those farmers feel similar to me. I know people that manage land, golf courses, natural areas and private land tracts. The biggest issue they all have by far is the deer herd. Deer are very destructive critters.

People usuallyt get tunnel vision and thik that everyone else thinks like they do.
Hunters want more deer. There is never enough. They very often don't have a concept on how the deer effect others.
Foresters, Land Owners, Farmers, Ins co's, and anyone who has a deer/auto accident. Higher deer populations negatively effect all these people.
Ask them and they tell you there are too many deer.

How many deer should there be? the million dollar question.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: Dirty D] #7010334
10/06/20 11:11 AM
10/06/20 11:11 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirty D
K Snow, I don't think many deer are shot legally during the summer, Farmers doing illegal is another thing.

DNR has list of farmers getting crop damage permits.
None in Sheboygan Co.

https://dnrx.wisconsin.gov/wdacp/public/permit/2020/deer

I read thru the reponses in the OP's link.

Many of those farmers feel similar to me. I know people that manage land, golf courses, natural areas and private land tracts. The biggest issue they all have by far is the deer herd. Deer are very destructive critters.

People usuallyt get tunnel vision and thik that everyone else thinks like they do.
Hunters want more deer. There is never enough. They very often don't have a concept on how the deer effect others.
Foresters, Land Owners, Farmers, Ins co's, and anyone who has a deer/auto accident. Higher deer populations negatively effect all these people.
Ask them and they tell you there are too many deer.

How many deer should there be? the million dollar question.

Thanks for sharing. Was surprised to see a name or two on there.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010342
10/06/20 11:15 AM
10/06/20 11:15 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
The surprising thing about the crop damage permits is how many are for small acreage. 1-2 acres.
Must be high value intensive crops, Asparagus, Strawberries and farmer market sellers.

Also interesting on how many tags on these small plots.

1 acre 25 permits and another for 30 permits on 1 acre.

Last edited by Dirty D; 10/06/20 11:19 AM.
Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010351
10/06/20 11:27 AM
10/06/20 11:27 AM
east central WI
K
k snow Online content
trapper
k snow  Online Content
trapper
K

east central WI
Dirty D, I gun hunt in Dane Co, sorry for the misunderstanding.
And yep, he's on the list for 10 permits this year.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010352
10/06/20 11:31 AM
10/06/20 11:31 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
I've stood in DNR meetings here in NC and listened to farmers complain about crop damage. I immediately offered to help them with their issue (meat hunter) They rolled their eyes and moved on. You can't work with that mentality.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: dkrug] #7010356
10/06/20 11:47 AM
10/06/20 11:47 AM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
We have 12 "crop damage" deer permits on our lease. That is one of the conditions in getting the land. We have to kill at least 10 antlerless deer are we don't get it the next year. BUT they have to be taken during a legal hunt and killed with what ever weapon is legal at the time . Also they are for antlerless only . The tags are issued to the land owner who then gives them to us. Only 5 tags per hunter can be used during a season.

BUT there is a pumpkin farmer here that does have a shoot on site permit because the does will take a bite out of his pumpkins and they are junk after that.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 10/06/20 11:52 AM.
Re: Deer crop damage thread [Re: Rye] #7010380
10/06/20 12:31 PM
10/06/20 12:31 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Rye
I've stood in DNR meetings here in NC and listened to farmers complain about crop damage. I immediately offered to help them with their issue (meat hunter) They rolled their eyes and moved on. You can't work with that mentality.

Hard to say where they are coming from.

If I was you I'd talk to them one on one after the meeting and see what their thoughts are on letting you hunt their land.
Maybe they had bad experiences with hunters cutting fences, driving on crops etc etc.
Or maybe they allowed hunting in the past and the hunter only shot one Buck and quit.
Maybe they see hunters as an ineffective way to thin the herd.
I don't know the rules and regs in your area but if you could convince the landowner that your all about killing any and all deer that cross your path.
Hard to say, a one on one respectful conversation often teaches alot if you'll listen to what they say.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread