No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017358
10/14/20 02:49 PM
10/14/20 02:49 PM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
Originally Posted by Hutchy
Originally Posted by grapestomper
I always get people asking for jerky.
Like its simple to do and takes no time.
My daughter always wants a bag or two when she is here.
This year I told her to come shoot a deer and I will cut it up for you and we can make jerky together.
She has agreed. Going to knock down a doe and make jerky for her.
Then she can see how easy it really is.

I love making Jerky. Haven't in a while.

It is a bit of an event though. Takes time.

We probably make 30-40 lbs of jerky a year. The first 10lbs are easy then you start thinking there is a little work involved. Both boys help out cutting deer now and that part has gotten a lot easier.

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017363
10/14/20 02:55 PM
10/14/20 02:55 PM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Now giving meat is different if I’m not asked for it I don’t mind to give a roll is summer sausage or something. My dad is a preacher and some kids give him a picture or a drawing or something they made but one girl every year brings him deer jerky from the deer she killed.

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017369
10/14/20 03:03 PM
10/14/20 03:03 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if some one wanted to let me hunt their nice acreage I would drop them off half of every deer ground and packaged.

not had to many takers on that yet

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Ryan McLeod] #7017375
10/14/20 03:12 PM
10/14/20 03:12 PM
alaska
S
spotter Offline
trapper
spotter  Offline
trapper
S

alaska
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
Sharing my catch is probably my favourite part of hunting. Elders, widows, single parents etc but when I offer geese for example and they ask if they’re plucked I don’t usually offer them geese again. I was raised to give away about half of what I get.

This

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: HILLTOP TRAPPER] #7017386
10/14/20 03:32 PM
10/14/20 03:32 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by HILLTOP TRAPPER
my family can shoot 9 deer this year for 3 people,we'll shoot 2,the step daughter gets hers every year,the girlfriend always misses,and i usually get a nice buck and pass on the rest.friends always say shoot one for me if your seeing so many,well i tell them if they would quit shooting every dam deer that comes by then mabey they would see more deer or actually go spend some time in your stand,last year on opener i let 17 diffferent deer walk by and saw most of those throughout the 9 day season,the last day i shot the biggest buck of my life.just saying around here you can build a population.i like to just watch them walk by unless its a shooter for me.ive shot plenty of deer in my life now i would just a soon let the girls get one.we have hunted this spot for about 10 years and it just keeps getting better.not bragging just saying

The girlfriend always misses......you don't take her shooting enough! laugh

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017408
10/14/20 04:23 PM
10/14/20 04:23 PM
Tennessee
Deerhunter51 Offline
trapper
Deerhunter51  Offline
trapper

Tennessee
I usually get asked " how about fixing me up with some backstraps?". Really? These are usually people I hear from once a year when their HVAC units crap out or they need something else, usually wanting it for free.

I always take a doe to my taxidermist each season for them to eat and I give one or two to an actual friend that has enough kids to qualify for his own zip code. I sometimes donate to the hunters for the hungry when they'll take it dressed and whole. No problem taking care of others if they really need it - everybody else has to get out in the woods and put their time in.

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017416
10/14/20 04:38 PM
10/14/20 04:38 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
No one like that here,probly cause everyone I know hunts and fishes.We do a lot of food swapping though.Sister gave us some homemade jam,,we gave her a bunch of stuff from our garden.Buddy gave me some moose jerky,,I gave him some homemade Italian sausage.Stuff like that all the time,,,but nothing actualy asked for,,just given.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017420
10/14/20 04:44 PM
10/14/20 04:44 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
forget the T-bones , just past the tenderloin, whole that is.
Tbone cutting passes the prions into the meat.

When are you getting a elk tag....partner I'll be there for the cut and wrap.
Please remind me of what beer is your choice !

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017424
10/14/20 04:52 PM
10/14/20 04:52 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
IF I give somebody a deer and they are not happy its gutted they dont get another. I get not wanting to hunt but liking deer meat. Too lazy to butcher or drive to a processer i figure walmart mystery meat is good enough for them.

Yes people want snack sticks jerky and burger. I say no to healthy people unless they were there dragging out the deer or helping me butcher or something

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Northof50] #7017469
10/14/20 06:21 PM
10/14/20 06:21 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
Originally Posted by Northof50
forget the T-bones , just past the tenderloin, whole that is.
Tbone cutting passes the prions into the meat.

When are you getting a elk tag....partner I'll be there for the cut and wrap.
Please remind me of what beer is your choice !

You are closer to the elk than me!

I mean real elk, not those transplants they reintroduced north of me.

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017621
10/14/20 09:34 PM
10/14/20 09:34 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Everyone gets the first batch of meat they ask for with almost no questions, I ask why they want to try wild game and hope it is so they know where their meat is coming from and how it was handled.

Next time, they are offered to take hunter education and join in on the hunt and I will take them with me so they can learn to do it themselves.

I will of course help them with whatever is needed. Show them they can get by with cheap or used gear and still be successful. I like to take the pass it forward mentality.

I don’t know who said it, but the following quote sticks with me even though I will mess it up in translation.

We don’t inherit the wildlife and wild places from our grandparents, we are borrowing it from our grandchildren.

Anywho, share your game and help that meal to grow a future hunter or even the highest level... another trapper.......

To the OP... yes, constantly I have people asking for meat, and if I have it, I share, I’ll even give a few recipes.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: DelawareRob] #7017624
10/14/20 09:40 PM
10/14/20 09:40 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by DelawareRob

I don’t know who said it, but the following quote sticks with me even though I will mess it up in translation.

We don’t inherit the wildlife and wild places from our grandparents, we are borrowing it from our grandchildren.

Great quote even if misquoted.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017627
10/14/20 09:41 PM
10/14/20 09:41 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
I have never had anyone ask me for meat. I have SHARED a lot over the years and been the recipient of a lot.But No one has ever asked for it.

Mean As Nails
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017636
10/14/20 10:02 PM
10/14/20 10:02 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Come to bama, most of the state you can take one doe a day ,, and 3 bucks for the season , from October to mid February
I shot 3 does last year, out of my front yard, had them processed , gave them to my 3 kids, took my doc a few packs also.

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017654
10/14/20 10:25 PM
10/14/20 10:25 PM
central Missouri
B
Bigfoot Offline
trapper
Bigfoot  Offline
trapper
B

central Missouri
I give alot of my fish , deer sausage and sticks away , My parents and the VFW are the only ones that ask . I try to give the Veterans home a few gallons of flathead for their annual fishfry

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017660
10/14/20 10:32 PM
10/14/20 10:32 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I got asked for a fresh beaver a couple days ago. But most all I know around here hunt deer and bear...so I've never gotten asked for other meat

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017702
10/14/20 11:19 PM
10/14/20 11:19 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
How about this. Someone asks for some meat or garden produce but don't know what to do with it. So you ask them how they enjoyed it and they get that dumb look on their face that either they didn't eat it or they let it rot.

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017705
10/14/20 11:22 PM
10/14/20 11:22 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Hutchy didn't know your game laws so if one is all you can get then I guess you need to be careful how much you give away. I have 12 crop tags to fill plus my 6 on my sportsman liscense Only 1 buck but does galore. In zone 1 it is unlimited does here in ky. Just 15 bucks extra for 2 more tags after the first state wide tag.

I'd be in heaven.

You make the trip I'll put you in a tree stand Or sit you in a chair in the middle of a major crossing Last year in 8.5 minutes I had taken 4 of the does as soon as shooting light came.. Guys that hunt with me can't hunt during the week.
Non resident are cheapest in nation and over the counter. We can cut them up in my building and ice them down and your on your way !!!!

Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: Hutchy] #7017738
10/15/20 12:21 AM
10/15/20 12:21 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
I don't understand.

Do people ever ask you for wild meat?

People know I kill stuff and are always asking if they could have just a couple of steaks, or "when are you going to bring some of that (deer, bear, moose, fish) etc over. Or, "perhaps you could drop off a pack of smelt one day?"

If I want to give someone meat, I will do so. I don't see you go to the grocery store and make a point to stop by and ask you for a T-bone, or Sirloin, do I? If you are not someone who I would normally get together with and have burgers on a Sunday afternoon, stop asking me for my food! Its food, not a novelty!

I get my meat from the bush, not the store. Only difference. If you want meat not from a store, buy a tag and get it yourself.

You don't think about what you eat much when you buy it from the store. When you hunt it, its different. I know every part. From practicing with the bow, to setting up the hunt, bait sites, trail cams, hanging stands, to shooting, dressing, dragging it out, hanging it, and finally butchering, grinding and wrapping it and putting it in the freezer.

Come to think of it, maybe I will start asking people for T-bones! Wouldn't that make sense? After all, all they did is walk into a store and spend $16.99 plus HST on it, already cleaned and frozen, then drop it on a grill.

Makes perfect sense! That meat didn't cost them hours of unproductive sitting if the cold, checking trail cams, buying all the gear and all the other work that went into it, the blood sweat and tears. That should mean that they would be happy to give me some nice, cheap store bought meat. They can also just go buy other meat anytime they want!

Their excuse for asking is always because they never get a chance to eat wild meat. My reason for asking for a T-bone is exactly the same! I never get to eat store bought steak, and it is a bit of a novelty for me also!

Tomorrow I am starting phase 1 of operation "Ask for T-bones". I figure I should be able to fill my freezer whenever I want, just by asking the neighbors when I see them carrying grocery bags up to their house!

And no one will give me grief for it! After all, they only spent $16.99 plus HST on their meat! What a bargain!

It's like taking orders, but not getting paid. Even better! Nothing like giving away jerky! Especially when you can fit an entire deers worth of jerky into an ice cream pail.

Sure friend...no problem. Why don't you take 10 pounds or so of jerky. No big deal that that darn near be an entire deer!!

I am gonna start telling people I only eat beaver. No idea why, but no one ever asks for beaver...

Preach it baby!!

Cold as ice!
Re: Do people try and bum meat off of you? [Re: corky] #7017842
10/15/20 07:30 AM
10/15/20 07:30 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R