No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Black Hills Deer? [Re: Diggerman] #7019380
10/16/20 11:15 PM
10/16/20 11:15 PM
South Dakota
P
Prn Offline
trapper
Prn  Offline
trapper
P

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Hunted Elk last month just north of Custer I believe, There were nice bucks everywhere. Access was fairly easy, especially if you dont mind walkin. You are never far from an old logging road.

Well dont leave us hanging. How did the elk hunt go?

Re: Black Hills Deer? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #7019388
10/16/20 11:26 PM
10/16/20 11:26 PM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Things sure have changed since I lived out there. A friend of mine, Dr. Earl Bielmaier a podiatrist in Rapid City at the time, had a camp near Custer. We'd hunt there and usually had great success on white tails. We never had points to deal with. That was back in the mid 70's. The dear tasted great back then, and I suppose they still do.

Re: Black Hills Deer? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #7019450
10/17/20 01:39 AM
10/17/20 01:39 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Yep, Paul things have changed. Black Hills buck only tags used to be one of the only deer seasons that was similar to a lot of places around the country where someone could buy a tag over the counter. Could also do that for BH turkey as well (I think). That got changed in 1990s (at least when I started to apply out there) where a person would have to go through the state application system but I think when I first got tags, the buck tags were still unlimited. I think about the same time a reg went in that the buck had to have at least 2 points on one side to be legal, so no more "spikes". Somewhere over time, the "unlimited" aspect of BH buck tags went away and a certain number (6-7 thousand-ish) appeared so a person actually was in competition for getting a buck tag. There was a certain number of "anterless" tags (does and fawns) available in the various sub-units of the BH. Those numbers have been fairly limited overall. As mentioned in some of the other posts, this management action appears to have paid off, as the bucks now taken in the BH tend to be older and nicer.

The key to BH deer hunting is how much time does a person have. For SD residents used to a weekend long West or East River hunt where 2-4 post ups and say 10 deer drives is all that's needed to get a deer in most cases, that generally won't be as productive in the Black Hills. If a guy has 4-5 days or a week, chances of scoring increase. When I have more time as a retired person in the future and a better vehicle, I plan to go back out there to the "pocket Rockies"...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: Black Hills Deer? [Re: Prn] #7019717
10/17/20 01:16 PM
10/17/20 01:16 PM
Wi.
D
Diggerman Offline
trapper
Diggerman  Offline
trapper
D

Wi.
Originally Posted by Prn
Originally Posted by Diggerman
Hunted Elk last month just north of Custer I believe, There were nice bucks everywhere. Access was fairly easy, especially if you dont mind walkin. You are never far from an old logging road.

Well dont leave us hanging. How did the elk hunt go?

It was my sons hunt, I was there for the experience. We didnt connect while I was there but he got a 5x5 two weeks later.

Re: Black Hills Deer? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #7021264
10/19/20 11:16 AM
10/19/20 11:16 AM
Barron Co, WI
W
wisconsinteacher Offline OP
trapper
wisconsinteacher  Offline OP
trapper
W

Barron Co, WI
Thanks for the great help. It is me and my brother-in-law. We have 5 days to hunt if needed. I hope we can find two decent bucks in 4 days though so we could get home a day early.

Re: Black Hills Deer? [Re: wisconsinteacher] #7021293
10/19/20 12:07 PM
10/19/20 12:07 PM
Southern WV
A
Anglinscreek Offline
trapper
Anglinscreek  Offline
trapper
A

Southern WV
Great thread. Hope to hunt there one day