No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The key to instant kills (hunting) [Re: KenaiKid] #7019833
10/17/20 05:54 PM
10/17/20 05:54 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
GREENCOUNTYPETE, I was not referring to deer but specifically large animals such as moose. I was a registered guide in Alaska and carried either a .375 H&H or a .338 WM for my back up weapons. I am quite familiar with both rounds and the way large game reacts after being shot. I’ve watched both moose and caribou continue feeding as if nothing happens after being shot through both lungs with a .375. I hunted black tail deer with the .338 because there was virtually no blood shot in the meat, just a hole through the critter. They rarely dropped at the shot.

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: The key to instant kills (hunting) [Re: k9-hunter] #7019845
10/17/20 06:26 PM
10/17/20 06:26 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by k9-hunter
there is a reason why guides carry a 12 ga in bear country hard to beat a 1 oz lead slug it will out perform any magnum rifle or handgun when it counts

1 oz slugs are big medicine at close range 437.5gr at 1600fps 2488fpe

at distance they slow way down by 50 yards they have lost half the energy and are about to fall sub sonic

a guide carrying a shotgun makes sense a good shotgun is 300 dollars lighter to carry than a good rifle they are easy to clean when you're out in bad weather and offer fast to follow up shots and you never need to use it at much distance because your not hunting your protecting clients.

a good SS guide gun will run you 900-1000 and not be as easy to take apart

a good bolt action rifle would cost you >500

so for a gun that gets carried a lot , and shot a little. a 200-300 dollar 12ga pump makes a lot of sense.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: The key to instant kills (hunting) [Re: KenaiKid] #7019923
10/17/20 08:19 PM
10/17/20 08:19 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
All that might be so but all of the HUNTING guides I knew in Alaska carried rifles. The fish guides carried shotguns!

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: The key to instant kills (hunting) [Re: newhouse114] #7019946
10/17/20 08:47 PM
10/17/20 08:47 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by newhouse114
All that might be so but all of the HUNTING guides I knew in Alaska carried rifles. The fish guides carried shotguns!

that is what I thought also , but the economics of it if your a fishing guide or maybe a guide some where else would make sense.

my point is it may not be the best tool possible but the good enough tool with some definite economic advantages

there are lots of tools that work

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: The key to instant kills (hunting) [Re: MJM] #7019953
10/17/20 08:54 PM
10/17/20 08:54 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by MJM
Top of the scapula with any modern cartridge from .243 up will dump a Deer. In my mind that is a very poor shot placement unless all you are trying to do is kill the deer. If you shoot the right bullet out of a 243 and hit the deer in the center of the ribs it will drop just as fast as the above shot placement with out all the blood shot meat. A deer is not a cape buffalo or grizzly bear, there is no reason to shot it in the shoulder. I am a big fan of hydrostatic shock for coyote hunting. When you get a bullet going over 3500 fps and hit a coyote in the middle of the ribs and get no exit you have a combination that will kill coyotes and do little damage. I have shot a number of deer with a 75 gr Hp out of the 25-06 in the middle of the ribs and they fold up. No exit, no tracking, no meat damage.

Well you take your shot and I'll take mine ...ribs turned into shrapnel make much more of a mess.

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread