No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Coyotes adaptability #7020190
10/18/20 07:07 AM
10/18/20 07:07 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I find it interesting how adaptive coyotes have become and how much they are survivors. When we often have discussions on here regarding humans, scent, and coyotes weariness it amazes me what they’ll do to survive. The more I learn about them the more I respect them. I’ll always not be a fan of what I’ve seen them do to calves and my retired father keeps around 100 pairs going so every once in a while they remind me why they need killing.
Here in Nebraska every coyote that comes out of the tree line is chased, shot at or harassed.

That being said my dad called me from the semi yesterday he hauls corn for farmers in the fall to gain access to their stalks for his cattle. He said he was sitting in the semi waiting to be loaded and a coyote following along the combine snatched a rabbit and then jogged by about 10 feet from him. He then watched what appeared to be the male half chasing a second rabbit off through the trees but he was unsuccessful. It’s interesting to me with the risk they live daily they’ve learned when there will be an easy meal.

I plan to kill those coyotes soon. Before the cattle get dropped on the stalks but I still have respect for what they can do.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Coyotes adaptability [Re: WadeRyan] #7020194
10/18/20 07:13 AM
10/18/20 07:13 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I'm pretty sure coyotes will still be here long after people have destroyed themselves.
Ranchers here carry rifles with them year round and shoot at every coyote they see for obvious reasons.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Coyotes adaptability [Re: WadeRyan] #7020252
10/18/20 08:44 AM
10/18/20 08:44 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
I like coyotes better that any dim, but I sure don't like what they do to other wildlife and livestock. They are fascinating critters, and I agree Gary, they and crow and cockroaches will prolly be the last three critters on this rock!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Coyotes adaptability [Re: WadeRyan] #7020514
10/18/20 02:21 PM
10/18/20 02:21 PM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
Look up the Chicago coyote study. They documented a pair that raised a litter in a concrete den in a parking lot at soldier field. Adaptive yes they are.

Re: Coyotes adaptability [Re: WadeRyan] #7020520
10/18/20 02:28 PM
10/18/20 02:28 PM
wyoming southeast
D
danvee Offline
trapper
danvee  Offline
trapper
D

wyoming southeast
When the calves start dropping the coyotes get rough get them cleaned up before that.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread