Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support Lenon's Lures, our sponsor for the Kids Forum Page)
Print Thread
Hop To
Fox sets #6974288
08/26/20 10:45 AM
08/26/20 10:45 AM
IL
D
DuckhunterYT Offline OP
trapper
DuckhunterYT  Offline OP
trapper
D

IL
Does any one have preferred sets with certain lures for fox. I caught two last season but it was kinda luck

Re: Fox sets [Re: DuckhunterYT] #6974303
08/26/20 11:15 AM
08/26/20 11:15 AM
Ohio, USA
Ave Offline
trapper
Ave  Offline
trapper

Ohio, USA
I prefer dirt hole and flat sets. The lure I’m using depends on the time of year. Dobbins back breaker is a really good change up for fox and coyote.

Ave don't go where the beaver don't flow
Re: Fox sets [Re: DuckhunterYT] #7021466
10/19/20 05:04 PM
10/19/20 05:04 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
My advice to beginners is to use & practice making dirt hole sets until you get good at it. The dirt hole will catch most animals out there. You must have clean dyed or waxed traps to start with. Start a dirt hole set by digging the dirt hole first. Then dig the trap bed ONLY as big as your trap. This is very helpful to getting a trap bedded solidly. Now pour loose dirt into trap bed. Now place set trap into bed & push trap as deep into loose dirt as possible. Sift more dirt over trap & press all around edges of trap & trap jaws (avoiding pan of course) until trap feels solid. Repeat with more dirt & press again if necessary. Then just sift light final covering of dirt over set. Lure & bait . My main personal fox baits are mice i collect in summer with mouse traps. Freeze them in ziplocks until ready to use. Or early season i also use cantalope chunks. There are lots of good lures on market. My personal ones are Blackie's TKO & cat-n-mouse, Dobbins mississippi special, Carman's coon lure #2 for grey fox. Experiment with 1 diff lure every year till ya find what ya really like.

Re: Fox sets [Re: DuckhunterYT] #7021608
10/19/20 08:01 PM
10/19/20 08:01 PM
Pennsylvania
PA_K-9_Trapper Offline
trapper
PA_K-9_Trapper  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Pipe sets all the way. The version of it I use works pretty good in PA's weather conditions when other sets don't. Dirtholes, scent posts, hay sets, ashpile sets, and blind sets all haved worked for me, but dirtholes and pipe sets are the way to go if you want to get any number of sets out. As far as lures to go, I've had luck with Dobbin's GL-40 and skunky Backbreaker. I do also use a lot of lure from local guys too.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bogmaster