No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Alaskan Earthquake #7021496
10/19/20 06:01 PM
10/19/20 06:01 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline OP
trapper
Pike River  Offline OP
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
You guys along the coast I hope will be OK.

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7021514
10/19/20 06:20 PM
10/19/20 06:20 PM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline
"Minka"
James  Offline
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
I felt nothing. By the time we heard about the tsunami alert, it was cancelled..

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7021529
10/19/20 06:47 PM
10/19/20 06:47 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
The area along the Aleutians , called Sand Point, has been quite active almost continuously for some time. The series of most recent are more intense than 2-3 usual events. 7.5 is indeed an eye opener , along with numerous lesser aftershocks . I have enjoyed the USGS world event map for some years . The plates in movement are amazing .

For some reason, there have been much seismic movement along the whole Aleutian trench for several months.

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7021532
10/19/20 06:52 PM
10/19/20 06:52 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I was thinking more of the hunters out there. That would be a heck of a trip.

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7021615
10/19/20 08:10 PM
10/19/20 08:10 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Should never have bought he place from the Russians. Soon as the warranty runs out things go wrong and ya can't give it back and asks for one that works.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7021784
10/19/20 10:53 PM
10/19/20 10:53 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Sand Point, also known as Popof Island, is a city in Aleutians East Borough, Alaska, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 976, up from 952 in 2000. It is on northwestern Popof Island, one of the Shumagin Islands, off the Alaska Peninsula.
The magnitude 7.5 earthquake near Sand Point, Alaska, generated a tsunami, Scott Langley with the National Tsunami Warning Center said Monday afternoon.
Langley said the tsunami sent two waves, each measuring 130 centimeters (4 feet, 3 inches) high. But observers onshore reported the waves appeared to be 1.5 feet (45.7 centimeters) and 2 feet (61 cm) over high tide.
The center of the earthquake was a lot closer to Chernabura and Bird Island than Sand Point. But no one live on them full time. Sand point has a fish processing plant and a Air Port. I never stopped at Sand Point, but rode past half a dozen times.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: MJM] #7021789
10/19/20 10:56 PM
10/19/20 10:56 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Online content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Online Content

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by MJM
Sand Point, also known as Popof Island, is a city in Aleutians East Borough, Alaska, United States. At the 2010 census the population was 976, up from 952 in 2000. It is on northwestern Popof Island, one of the Shumagin Islands, off the Alaska Peninsula.
The magnitude 7.5 earthquake near Sand Point, Alaska, generated a tsunami, Scott Langley with the National Tsunami Warning Center said Monday afternoon.
Langley said the tsunami sent two waves, each measuring 130 centimeters (4 feet, 3 inches) high. But observers onshore reported the waves appeared to be 1.5 feet (45.7 centimeters) and 2 feet (61 cm) over high tide.
The center of the earthquake was a lot closer to Chernabura and Bird Island than Sand Point. But no one live on them full time. Sand point has a fish processing plant and a Air Port. I never stopped at Sand Point, but rode past half a dozen times.

I'll bet the foxes out there fear your name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mean As Nails
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: white17] #7021793
10/19/20 11:03 PM
10/19/20 11:03 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by white17
Originally Posted by MJM

I'll bet the foxes out there fear your name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin That's right !!! Those lovely blue Arctic fox in the Aleuts ! I have a fur from there , a blue phase. Beautiful.

Looking at the USGS interactive map , there are dozens of varied intensity events going on now , all mostly in the Sand Point Trench area. That place has been steadily on the shift for weeks now. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see at least one or more smaller shifts in that area. Fascinating !

Thank you for that interesting info, MJM . Always have loved geological learning.

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Scuba1] #7021875
10/20/20 01:33 AM
10/20/20 01:33 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Scuba1
Should never have bought he place from the Russians. Soon as the warranty runs out things go wrong and ya can't give it back and asks for one that works.

grin

Was still quite the deal !! For the Bears themselves

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7021879
10/20/20 01:40 AM
10/20/20 01:40 AM
Deer lodge, MT
D
Dean Chapel Offline
trapper
Dean Chapel  Offline
trapper
D

Deer lodge, MT
I am in King Cove. Didn't seem a bad as I'd expect for a 7.5. The tsunami was about a foot high here. I tried to rescue some kneecaps, but you can't fight the power of the ocean.

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7022044
10/20/20 09:35 AM
10/20/20 09:35 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
Thats not a tsunami. Thats a bonsai

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Wanna Be] #7022084
10/20/20 10:23 AM
10/20/20 10:23 AM
Fairbanks, Alaska
Pete in Frbks Offline
trapper
Pete in Frbks  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I was thinking more of the hunters out there. That would be a heck of a trip.

My son is hunting on Afognak Island, just N of Kodiak. He called me on the sat phone to let me know all was OK. He had gotten a sat text on his Garmin Inreach GPS warning him of the possible tsunami. He is due to be picked up tomorrow by float plane. If a tsunami had rolled into the Kodiak harbor, it would have complicated his return. He and his buddy have 10 deer on their meat pole. Even though they have a portable, battery operated electric fence, they are getting tired of fighting brown bears to keep all that meat.

Pete

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Scuba1] #7022094
10/20/20 10:52 AM
10/20/20 10:52 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Thats not a tsunami. Thats a bonsai

I made a scramble for high ground one evening on Kanaga Island, due to a tsunami warning. Two us sat on the highest point on our end of the island and watched, thinking it would wipe out camp. You could not tell anything happened. We got the all clear on our tsunami beeper and headed back down the hill to make supper. That earth quake was a 5 something. It last longer than any others I felt.
Sharon, I have seen pictures of blue / gray color Arctic fox. But all I saw were a chocolate brown to a black color. The arctic fox were not native to any of the islands and were planted there back when Russia still owned the islands. The arctic fox most of the islands on the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge have been eradicated. The refuge has 2400 islands and covers from the main land out the chain, and south toward the US main land. The fox were not on all the island and the only way for them to spread was by being planted, other than a few islands close together. There are still a few islands with fox, mostly native owned islands. The eradication program started to help the Aleutian Canada goose from going extinct. This is copied from a FWS paper.
"The Aleutian Canada goose, identifiable by a distinctive white neck-band, nests on islands within the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge. Biologists trace the decline of the subspecies back as far as 1750 when fur-farmers and trappers began introducing non-native foxes on more than 190 islands within the goose's nesting range in Alaska. The fox introductions hit their peak from 1915 to 1936, when fur demand was high. The foxes preyed heavily upon the birds, which had no natural defenses against land predators on the previously mammal-free islands. Scientists recorded no sightings of Aleutian Canada geese from 1938 until 1962, when Service biologists discovered a remnant population on rugged, remote Buldir Island in the western Aleutians. Scientists believe Buldir was fox-free because its rocky, stormy coast was difficult to approach.

The Aleutian Canada goose was one of the first species or subspecies to be protected under the Endangered Species Act, passed in 1973. The first accurate count of the birds in 1975 revealed only 790 individuals. In the early 1980s, biologists found small numbers of breeding geese on two other islands.

For the past 35 years, biologists have worked to eliminate introduced foxes from former nesting islands and to reintroduce geese. The removal of these predators has benefitted many other bird species on the islands, including puffins, murres, and auklets. Besides removing foxes, the Service and state wildlife agencies closed Aleutian Canada goose hunting in wintering and migration areas, banded birds on the breeding grounds to identify important wintering and migrations areas, and released families of wild geese caught on Buldir Island on other fox-free islands in the Aleutians."
The geese imprint on where the fledge and migrate back there. So planting geese on fox free islands makes geese come back there to nest.
I feel I was very lucky to get to see that part of the country. I was on about 30 different islands, most had no one on them, other than the people I was with. Which was two to five depending on the size of the island and what was going on.
[Linked Image]

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7022121
10/20/20 11:43 AM
10/20/20 11:43 AM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thank you MJM , for that interesting history. I did know the Russians had fox farming in the Aleuts , but I didn't know what they were doing to the geese there. Makes total sense. They raid ground nests every season where they occur in the Arctic .

I have seen that chocolate dusky colour to those Russian Blues, I think more in their summer phase . The fur I have is a lovely blue/grey cast in full winter prime. With darker points in face and legs, pretty dorsal stripe too. The muzzle still retains its chocolate cast , though , which is great. When I first saw the blue phase I thought what a lovely coat it would make, with trim in the more common white phase.

What my USGS chart doesn't give is on the ground observations of how much those events are felt, or the tsunami effects . I appreciate your info on those that add life to the stats. I have wondered if all these mini to more powerful events are felt on any of those nearby islands !

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: 330-Trapper] #7022127
10/20/20 12:03 PM
10/20/20 12:03 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

grin

Was still quite the deal !! For the Bears themselves

The Russians got the short end of that deal when you consider the oil, precious metals, fishing, hunting, etc they lost.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7022182
10/20/20 01:07 PM
10/20/20 01:07 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I saw a fair number of tanned fox from off the islands and all were the brown to black color. The tanned fox were prime fox. I was trapping fox that were still waring a broke winter coat to summer coats later in the season. From what I saw the summer coat was darker, leaning to black. I feel that the color was breed out due to in breeding. The first Island I worked on was a little over 6 square miles. I have no idea how many fox were planted on the island originally, but unless it was way more than I would think, It would not be long until every fox on the island was related. It was real interesting, all the history, and for the most part no one there to keep it going. On Kanaga there was a fur farm at one time. Here is a little on the fur farm on Kanaga.

KANAGA
Kanaga. Island is a Bowman interest and is to remain in the same sta tuiJ
as a Fox f~rn. The Kanaga Ranching Company is losing the Ilak and Adak Island. An island
the size of Kanaga is sufficient for one conce~n to oarry on fox farm propagation. The
operation up to the present time, according to,the reports, has not been satisfactory.
the reason for this is that this om•oration has been doing all the work on their other
island s (Adak and Ilak). Kanaga Island shrull be a good fox producing island if' any
effort is made to operate theron. ,:>It is noted· that Kanaga Island has improvements
estimated by the lessee to the valueof $7o,ooo.oo. Th;is. includes a dock and about
1:3 structures - houses, cabins, warehouse and .barn. This island will be leased to
same company - namely the Kanaga Ranching Company.

We stayed at the ranch some. We used it as a spike camp to work that end of our trap line. It was about a 25 mile run to the ranch from our main camp. Depending on weather we would run up about every other week. We covered a hole in the roof of the house with a blue tarp and slept in it. We had dropped food, stove, kerosene heater, 300 gallons of fuel for the skiff, radio and antenna before we dropped our main camp. Pictures of the fox ranch on Kanaga.
The barn and house with blue tarp.
[Linked Image]
What is left of the dock that was there at one time.
[Linked Image]
Fox hut. When they were used, there was a fence that went off the front of the huts and it was divided, to keep the two huts separate. [Linked Image]

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7022233
10/20/20 02:04 PM
10/20/20 02:04 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Mjm, what great shots and experiences you had there . I bet the wind can blow cold and wet.

I looked online, and I saw your descriptive brown toned fox ! I'll be....I had no idea they were also that colour. What a lovely burnt sienna to rich deep sable tones they are ! Learn something new all the time cool I would love one like that too .

I have been waiting to be assigned an Arctic fox from one of my editors for a long time, hopefully being able to include both colour phases, and now, I want to include these browns too !

I just love learning this stuff....thank you MJM and also for including your amazing experience in those lonely wind swept isles.

Love this thread, from Alaskan plate shifts , to fox......who knew ?? grin

OK I had to take Blue outside in ambient light and get a couple shots of him for you...he sure does have Siamese like chocolate points and especially in the face , however subtle. Imagine a coat like this , with white AND that burnt sienna deep sable brown for trim !

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7022289
10/20/20 03:27 PM
10/20/20 03:27 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Sharon, I never saw anything that resembled your blue. He is a great looking fox for sure. I read back in the days of fox ranching on the islands that the blues could bring up to $300 each. Considering the time frame that that was going on, it was a lot of money. I heard the ranch on Kanaga made $30,000 during the depression one year. It was a father and daughter there, from what I have read. To fox ranch on most the islands the fox were just released and then after a few years they would return and trap them. For much of the year the only thing there was for the fox to feed on was what ever washed up on the beach. The fox were more of scavengers than hunters. They did feed on shellfish on the rocks during low tied, if you call that hunting. There were voles on Rotook island and in three months I never saw any sign of the fox feeding on them. The voles were thick. Thick enough you would see dozens a day. I figured the voles would be a problem getting in the food at camp, but they never did. We even put food out on their trails and they never ate any of it. There are a lot of unique birds, plants, mammals and insects on the islands. It is a experience that cannot be explained, camping on them for months and seeing so many new things.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: Pike River] #7022335
10/20/20 04:08 PM
10/20/20 04:08 PM
S.W.Oregon
newhouse114 Offline
trapper
newhouse114  Offline
trapper

S.W.Oregon
Sharon, to be honest your fox looks like a ranch skin. I pelted umpteen hundreds of them while I was working for a fox farm in Wasilla. Every Aleutian fox I ever saw made a brillo pad feel soft and look lovely!

Life Member NTA & FTA
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

http://alaskastoneanivory.com/index
Re: Alaskan Earthquake [Re: newhouse114] #7022343
10/20/20 04:24 PM
10/20/20 04:24 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by newhouse114
Sharon, to be honest your fox looks like a ranch skin. I pelted umpteen hundreds of them while I was working for a fox farm in Wasilla. Every Aleutian fox I ever saw made a brillo pad feel soft and look lovely!

Oh ! I picked this one up at an NTA some years ago ...the furs offered had lots of the white and the blues, described as Arctic fox whites and blues. They had lots of wolves to offer also, and wolverine. Since I saw all the others there who were wild caught fur, I assumed these were also, but I would believe you and your hands-on experience over my limited knowledge of those colour phases in the wild, and their fur texture.

Yes, this guy's fur is soft as can be.

I have a white phase in my collection who is also full and nice, even more so than Blue.

See there, adding to my knowledge curve on these fox ! Thank you for your insight , newhouse, I appreciate that. I am keeping Blue anyway

grin

MJM, I'm amazed that those fox haven't cleaned up on the voles ! Or that the voles turned up their stubby noses at the bait you offered on their routes ...interesting . Rethinking on what newhouse offered, I'm thinking that is why you didn't see any that resembles mine. Going online, I did see some photos of similar blue phases , looked to be in the wild, but no info on the locations.

Well I'm happy to be enjoying it all and in adding to the curve of knowledge all the time !

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread