No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska [Re: Actor] #7022653
10/20/20 09:33 PM
10/20/20 09:33 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
As Providence Farm mentioned, Alaska is always looking for a way to kill you.

I remember hiking in to a moose kill one morning with the intention of putting up a tree stand to hunt grizzly. It was nine or ten in the morning and the thought of a bear being on the kill that time of day never entered my mind. I was about seventy yards out when I glanced at the kill site to see a very nice grizzly stand on its hind legs looking right at me. I still had the backpack with the tree stand on my back but I threw the rifle to my shoulder and got off a shot. The bear ran into some spruce growth directly behind the moose remains and it went dead silent. I wasn't sure if I had hit the bear or not. I dropped my pack and eased my way in. I'd taken to hunting solo so I didn't have anyone to bail me out if things went bad. To say I was on edge would be an understatement. I couldn't find any evidence that I hit the bear.

Here's a couple of bear from that area. One in the fall on berries and one in denning country in the spring. The bear on the lake knew I was there but didn't know what I was. It saw me and was quartering downwind to pick up my scent, eyes on me every step of the way. You can see from the pic there's no cover. I shot it at seventy or eighty yards. A seventeen year old male with every canine broken off and a cavity in every tooth.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska [Re: James] #7022674
10/20/20 09:55 PM
10/20/20 09:55 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by James
I try to wear a handgun in a shoulder holster while dressing a moose.

Jim

What were you dressing it in,,,a tu tu and heels ?? JIMMY I bet the moose didn't like that. smile

Last edited by upstateNY; 10/20/20 09:55 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska [Re: James] #7022684
10/20/20 10:03 PM
10/20/20 10:03 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by James
I try to wear a handgun in a shoulder holster while dressing a moose.

Jim

Whats that mean,,you "try" to wear a handgun?? Either you do,,,or you don't.What a pretender.Troll

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska [Re: Actor] #7022782
10/20/20 11:39 PM
10/20/20 11:39 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline OP
trapper
Actor  Offline OP
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Sorry... did a late post on this story. I guessed I missed it before. I just received the story today from an outdoor site I get stuff.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: Grizzly Kills Moose Hunter in Alaska [Re: Actor] #7022942
10/21/20 07:48 AM
10/21/20 07:48 AM
Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
west river rogue Offline
trapper
west river rogue  Offline
trapper

Philippines, s.e. asia,ohio
Sad deal for a promising young man!!!! Doesnt seem fair I have lived so long. Figured I wouldnt have made it past 30 much with my lifestyle and work.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread