No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023053
10/21/20 09:47 AM
10/21/20 09:47 AM
central IA
B
bodycount Offline
trapper
bodycount  Offline
trapper
B

central IA
I'm 78 and have lived through the glory years of fur harvesting. There were buyers in every county. Now times have changed. People behave differently. Wearing fur is not politicly correct. Looks like it might be over.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023059
10/21/20 09:55 AM
10/21/20 09:55 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
What do other Canadians say, not Boco

"It's not like if you go back 25 years ago," he says. "It was a major seasonal income for most of the people in those years. It's not the case anymore; people are really doing it by passion. And when you look right behind those guys who are 50 or 60, you don't see many people behind."

Pretty much sums up the Canadian situation. Same as here.

Last edited by Dirt; 10/21/20 10:26 AM.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: bodycount] #7023061
10/21/20 09:57 AM
10/21/20 09:57 AM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Originally Posted by bodycount
I'm 78 and have lived through the glory years of fur harvesting. There were buyers in every county. Now times have changed. People behave differently. Wearing fur is not politicly correct. Looks like it might be over.

That's what the mountain men said too. Why does everyone want to put the finial nail in the coffin? I'lladmit it don't look good, but no one here has a crystal ball. I'll wait and see what transpires, not try to convince everyone on here that it is "over"!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: hippie] #7023063
10/21/20 10:02 AM
10/21/20 10:02 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND

What came first the lack of demand or the flooded market. It is pretty easy to see it is a lack of demand that is the problem now.

Boco, you need to step back and realize that not everyone traps on a Government trapline. Not everyone could control populations even if they wanted too, due to a lack of access. You only speak about your situation, not trapping in general. I can assure you there are way more people without a registered trapline on here than with one.
Not everyone has ice you can walk on to trap beaver in December. It is not the same situation everywhere in North America.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023066
10/21/20 10:04 AM
10/21/20 10:04 AM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline
trapper
D

MN
How much of the demand for registered traplines is from people who just want the ability to have a cabin and somewhere to camp out? If I could buy a line for 30k but have a couple cabins and a nice retreat that would seem like a heckuva deal. How much wild fur is Canada producing compared to years past? I suppose that would give the answer.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023070
10/21/20 10:08 AM
10/21/20 10:08 AM
New York
P
proratman Offline
trapper
proratman  Offline
trapper
P

New York
The economy in China is improving, so it ain't over till its over.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023078
10/21/20 10:15 AM
10/21/20 10:15 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Russians, Chinese, Greeks, and a few other countries are the future of our market. The perfect storm hit. The USA may be going out of the fur market but other countries will still be filling orders in the future. What I worry about is legislation that will ban trapping in our States a just like what has happened to California. Our future is in our hands state by state. Let your polititians know this. Write letters make phone calls send emails and vote

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: MJM] #7023085
10/21/20 10:20 AM
10/21/20 10:20 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by MJM

What came first the lack of demand or the flooded market. It is pretty easy to see it is a lack of demand that is the problem now.

Boco, you need to step back and realize that not everyone traps on a Government trapline. Not everyone could control populations even if they wanted too, due to a lack of access. You only speak about your situation, not trapping in general. I can assure you there are way more people without a registered trapline on here than with one.
Not everyone has ice you can walk on to trap beaver in December. It is not the same situation everywhere in North America.

I never once claimed any of that.
Guy asked about registered traplines,I answered with the facts on Ontarios system.Never made any other claims.
You must have dreamed something.

Last edited by Boco; 10/21/20 10:23 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023103
10/21/20 10:40 AM
10/21/20 10:40 AM
central IA
B
bodycount Offline
trapper
bodycount  Offline
trapper
B

central IA
About California, if Biden gets in, Kamela will be in charge. Her home state is not fur friendly.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #7023105
10/21/20 10:41 AM
10/21/20 10:41 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
How much of the demand for registered traplines is from people who just want the ability to have a cabin and somewhere to camp out? If I could buy a line for 30k but have a couple cabins and a nice retreat that would seem like a heckuva deal. How much wild fur is Canada producing compared to years past? I suppose that would give the answer.

That is a problem in some provinces,but not in Ontario.
If you dont trap a registered line you will get a warning,a fine,or lose your trapline.
You dont have to have a trapline in Ontario to have a hunting/recreation camp.There is plenty of opportunity to buy or lease land for that.
Anyone can camp anywhere on crown land any time they want.So no need to have a trapline to do that.
Traplines in Ontario are for trappers to manage the fur resource as stewards of the land with a vested interest in that responsibility.In other words they are the front line conservationists who wont harm their investment by either overtrapping when prices are high nor undertrapping when prices are lower.There are,of course upper and lower limits that trappers work within for efficiency in relation to prices of fur.For instance a trapper has the discretion to take a maximum 100% of his beaver quota or his minimum 75%.And it can be taken in any time of a 7 month open season.So there is a lot of flexibility there.Quotas are also adjustable and are often discussed and adjusted by the Fur tech at council meetings in the fall or shortly after when trappers have been out on the land and observed/surveyed population trends.Many trappers will see the same trends with wildlife populations on the land and report the same at the fall meetings.
Quotas are trapline specific so a trapper can trap several lines if he has the ability and or stamina.

Much of Canada is trapped under the resident trapline system,so no,the amount of fur sold would not give you the answer.There are probably more trappers trapping tiny parcels of land in the south than in there are trappers in the north.A lot of these southern trappers have acquired vacant traplines or bought developed traplines in the North and manage them besides their resident lines in the south.
In central Ontario there is both crown and private land within a registerd trapline boundary.Anyone with permission can trap the small parcels of private land within or adjacent to their registerd line under the same licence.
There are also crown lots which are administered for trapping like private land-some of these crown lots are as big as registered traplines and are administered differently than either.
There are many many aspects to trapping here as one would expect in a province as large and diverse geographically as Ontario is.
Ontario ranges from Carolinian forest in the far south to arctic tundra in the far north and every ecozone in between.And it is all someones trapline.

Last edited by Boco; 10/21/20 10:52 AM.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023106
10/21/20 10:47 AM
10/21/20 10:47 AM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Historic Beaver prices in Canada

How bad is it? Don't look!

Who is John Galt?
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023115
10/21/20 10:58 AM
10/21/20 10:58 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
We dont manage our registered traplines based on the spot price of raw fur.That is just one small aspect of living on the land.
However like the stockmarket,now is a good time to purchase or otherwise acquire a registered trapline in Ontario if you are interested in investing in a life tied to the land.
I average much more than that on beaver pelts by diversified marketing-some sold raw and some not.

Last edited by Boco; 10/21/20 11:00 AM.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023122
10/21/20 11:08 AM
10/21/20 11:08 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I won't trap hard and dont want to wast my time putting up fur for .50 an hour especially since I'm very slow at it. I used to sell everything green so have beginner fur handling skills.
But I have a hard time throwing it away and no one will buy green since it's not worth their time.

So I only trap a little to teach my boys and reduce populations on my farm and a friends. I really want to learn to put up my fur efficiently and plan on sending all decent fur to be tanned. Maybe I will learn how to make things from it and sell a few taned furs to cover the cost. It's never been a money maker for me just a great outdoor hobby with a small off set of cost.

If prices would rise I would trap harder. I don't see prices rising or fur becoming popular anytime in the future.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Turtledale] #7023131
10/21/20 11:23 AM
10/21/20 11:23 AM
Michigan
B
BigBlackBirds Offline
trapper
BigBlackBirds  Offline
trapper
B

Michigan
Originally Posted by Turtledale
Russians, Chinese, Greeks, and a few other countries are the future of our market. The perfect storm hit. The USA may be going out of the fur market but other countries will still be filling orders in the future. What I worry about is legislation that will ban trapping in our States a just like what has happened to California. Our future is in our hands state by state. Let your polititians know this. Write letters make phone calls send emails and vote

100% agree. Maybe there'll be another fur boom, maybe there'll be at least "fair" prices. Or maybe not. But none of it is going to matter if we aren't legally harvesting fur. The demographics are changing fast and seems to be alot of public is at least the running fully on emotion. We've been using the same old line of being in the business of "wildlife management" for as long as I can remember. We might want to look at that and see how it has become less accepted by the growing population; heck logic was already a lost cause when (think it was Boddicker) wrote of the Cherry Hill coyotes long time ago. Not saying throw it out but we better come up with something new pretty soon cuz at this rate there wont be much fur trapping in the near future.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023144
10/21/20 11:46 AM
10/21/20 11:46 AM
New Brunswick
N
NBWIldKid Offline
trapper
NBWIldKid  Offline
trapper
N

New Brunswick
How many trappers are actually wearing fur clothing? Kind of hypocritical to be talking about how great of a resource fur is, but then not actually using any. I'm sure there's more trappers not wearing fur than there are trappers who wear fur (Especially on a regular basis)

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023165
10/21/20 12:07 PM
10/21/20 12:07 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Its like most businesses. If your selling the raw material not the finished product then the majority of the profit is made elsewhere and you have to sell to either a middleman or the manufacturer at the price they dictate. Not much choice in where to sell.

I go to a annual winter festival in the area. They have food and stuff for sale. There is a guy who makes and sells hats, mittens, scarfs and other products made from fur. His booth is always busy. His stuff is not cheap. I bought a Fox hat years ago from him. If I remember right it was about $95. Warmest hat I have. When I wear it around I always get positive comments. I live in a more rural farm area. The results might be different in a big city.

I would think the future of the fur industry for the small guy is trap and make your own products to sell. The internet has made it easy to sell world wide without leaving your house.

It means learning more skills but if you want more control on what you make from your labor its the best way to do it.

My hat is like this but more Red. I see they sell for $150.

[img]https://nordfur.com/p/red-fox-fur-ushanka-hat/[/img]

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: NBWIldKid] #7023192
10/21/20 12:31 PM
10/21/20 12:31 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by NBWIldKid
How many trappers are actually wearing fur clothing? Kind of hypocritical to be talking about how great of a resource fur is, but then not actually using any. I'm sure there's more trappers not wearing fur than there are trappers who wear fur (Especially on a regular basis)

Ironically I was just pricing fur for the wife. $2500 for a nice red fox coat that we wouldn't get $80 for all the foxes it took. All the fur hats well not much I would sport maybe a few that would look nice on the wife along with a scarf or vest.

I honestly won't wear fur becuse its out of my price range, and I don't know what would last the longest or how it would hold up to the farm lifestyle. I mean really I would love to buy that fox coat for the wife but I imagine it would be a pain to get all the hay off of and probably shouldn't get wet.

What I'm saying basically is 3 part for me.
1 cost
2 education on care and matianance. Selling points on why it's worth the price it demands how easy is it really to care for? I honestly don't know and I trap. I'm sure the general public has less of a clue.

3 is personally it dosen't fit our life style. I can buy it and while my wife would think it's nice she would say it's a poor use of funds and she would probably only get to ware it a few times a year. She also dosen't like me to "wast money buying her cut flowers( plants ie Rose's and lilac are ok) and she declined my suggestion to replace the diamond she lost out of her engagement ring. Says she dosen't really were it anyway. ( gets tired of picking out dough and scrubbing off the dirt so she quit wearing it.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023215
10/21/20 12:56 PM
10/21/20 12:56 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I am enjoying a nice fried grouse lunch today,thanks to my time spent harvesting some of the excess beaver on my line yesterday.
Yesterday was profitable in fur and enjoyment and food gathering as is every trip I take to the line.
Raw fur markets will rise and fall but the connection to the land will remain the same throughout for real trappers. [Linked Image]

Last edited by Boco; 10/21/20 12:57 PM.

Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Ave] #7023235
10/21/20 01:16 PM
10/21/20 01:16 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Yes, in America fur is not very politically correct. Lucky for us, people in China, Russia, and others, are far less concerned about being PC

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Is the fur industry over? [Re: Bob] #7023260
10/21/20 01:47 PM
10/21/20 01:47 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
I don't feel that the issue of little fur in the USA is political for the most part. We value larger homes, larger autos, 2nd homes, time shares, cruises, professional and college sports etc. etc. Those items use up a lot of money and little is left for fashion fur and we never were really a heavy user of utilitarian fur in this country compared to many northern or temperate regions. Wool, fur, leather etc. all take some care and most wearers don't want to do the steps to keep those items in good condition.

Bryce

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread