No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Grand Mothers #7023831
10/22/20 03:56 AM
10/22/20 03:56 AM
Midlands South Carolina
S
SGT. C Offline OP
trapper
SGT. C  Offline OP
trapper
S

Midlands South Carolina
I was fortunate to have two grandma's but only one grandpa. Why is it that one is very sweet and the other is tough / mean at times. On my mothers side, my granny( as i called her) would pull my hair when i acted out. So,mom cut my hair and then granny said i guess your gonna have to trim his ears then. Verbally she could be hurtful. But knowing what i found out later in life, she had to be tough. Single mom raising 4 kids by herself. So, she wasn't tolerate to any nonsense.
Now, after she cooled off. Mom would get a call to tell me to come by after school, that she had something for me. Her way of saying sorry was a big pot of real homemade chicken and dumplings. Matter of fact, she had a special spoon just for that.
I grew to love her and her tough ways and found myself being the only grandchild she could rely on. The rest only wanted materialistic things. I wanted her wisdom and mental toughness.
Later in life. I bought her ford falcon so she could but the money down on her coffin. She planned ahead as to not burden the family when her time came. It came about a year later from cancer( not known at the time). She wanted me to pick it out with her, not easy for a young man.Even went as far to pick out her grave site.

I was present in my Military Uniform when we laid her to rest in an un-mark plot as she wanted. I think about her often, and hope i'm as tough mentally as she was when my time nears. My mom (her daughter) was just as tough. Mom is laid to rest on the Flat Head Indian Res in Montana as the base of a mountain in a simple pine box with no shoes( she hated shoes). She didn't want me to fly out for the service( I spent 16 days with her prior to her death (also from cancer), lord was it hard saying good bye when i had to leave), she didn't want any flowers, and only a small head marker i had made for her.
So, after looking back as to what i've experienced in my life. I suppose i was being prepared for tough times ahead. Thanks Granny and Mom. I love ya, Dale AKA Sarge

P.S. I have her solid oak rocking chair. I drove over 500 miles to get it. Never have seen another one like or even built like it. It now resides in my home. That chair was all she ever sat in. I want to refinish it one day but leave all the marks and character it has. Just want to removed the old finish down to bare wood and poly coat it. Maybe a nice project when i retire one of these days.

Last edited by SGT. C; 10/22/20 06:11 AM.

Getting old is a fatal mistake

Always looking for reloading componets

I know a beaver or two, because I've seen a beaver or two
Re: Grand Mothers [Re: SGT. C] #7023836
10/22/20 04:59 AM
10/22/20 04:59 AM
Illinois
D
dkrug Offline
trapper
dkrug  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Thanks Dale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhV88egN8Qs

In the stillness of the midnight

Re: Grand Mothers [Re: SGT. C] #7023856
10/22/20 05:59 AM
10/22/20 05:59 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
very well said , thanks for sharing

Re: Grand Mothers [Re: SGT. C] #7023881
10/22/20 06:50 AM
10/22/20 06:50 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I lost both of my grandmothers within a week of each other this spring. I miss them

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Grand Mothers [Re: SGT. C] #7024761
10/22/20 11:17 PM
10/22/20 11:17 PM
fayette,al.
G
grisseldog Offline
trapper
grisseldog  Offline
trapper
G

fayette,al.
Good story
I had all four of my grandparents, I miss them dearly

Re: Grand Mothers [Re: SGT. C] #7024826
10/23/20 12:27 AM
10/23/20 12:27 AM
South Central Wisconsin
N
Nelly Offline
trapper
Nelly  Offline
trapper
N

South Central Wisconsin
Everyone is a product of their experiences.
You can't know what made a person the way that they are without knowing what they have experienced.
Embrace the good and forgive the bad.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. O Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.
Re: Grand Mothers [Re: SGT. C] #7024838
10/23/20 12:43 AM
10/23/20 12:43 AM
South Central Wisconsin
N
Nelly Offline
trapper
Nelly  Offline
trapper
N

South Central Wisconsin
I can be a little unreasonable at times.
I hope that one of my grandchildren will be like you.

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good. O Lord please don't let me be misunderstood.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread