No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Always wanted a BAR [Re: James] #7023893
10/22/20 07:18 AM
10/22/20 07:18 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Better buy soon on the outside chance Biden gets elected and is true to his promise.......end the online sale of guns and ammo.

Re: Always wanted a BAR [Re: James] #7024138
10/22/20 01:27 PM
10/22/20 01:27 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by James
Originally Posted by Sharon
Beautiful wood grain, Minka.

I too zoomed in on the engraving moose and elk ...maybe it is just the particular style of the art, it is rather ...how to say...rudimentary in anatomical correctness....and more outline than interior detailing. The scrolling on either side of the animals and landscaping is nicely done ...actually much more elegant than the detailing in the animals and landscaping.

It still looks nice, it's just for me, who am a bit of a stickler for correct anatomical detailing, I keep wanting to make the bodies better and add some muscles and shading .

A good investment , Minka.

Thanks, Sharon. I think the wildlife scenes are more impressionistic, like "cave art" if you will. I realize they could be better, more detailed, but after all this is a Grade IV, not V, BAR.

Here's a Grade V, for comparison: https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...n-like-new-belgium.cfm?gun_id=101525929.

I love the elegant gold engravings and wood stock, but it's more than I'm willing..er...allowed to spend.

Jim

You are correct in keeping the original value with no improvement or alterations .

Your description of impressionistic "cave art" is spot on. Renaissance art is all very detailed in various degrees , not remotely in style to this design on your rifle. An artist can see and feel the life in every artist in that time period , regardless of style. Rosa Bonheur , Michelangelo, among others are my favourites.

Folk style is what your design reminds me of the most, really, in positioning of the legs. The old foxhunt paintings, for example, that have the animals all in the same running leg positions . Still, most of those are very detailed .

The outlines on this rifle are indeed more impressionistic "cave art" . Which is fine. Art is a vast medium with no ceiling . Something for everyone.

As you mentioned, however, for me, nothing beats the mind-blowing flow of anatomically correct animals just leaping or flying off the page, or receiver, in this case. The elegant gold engravings on some double rifles I saw at the SHOT Show in Vegas were astounding.

There is room in your safe for a collection of variety , Minka wink

Folk , or vintage examples..
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Simpler outlines, more accurately done in flowing style
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Engraved elegance...
[Linked Image]