No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7027580
10/25/20 09:35 PM
10/25/20 09:35 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
How many beavers were there? I do a lot of nuisance work and have for many years. Looked at a roadside culvert job couple weeks ago and thought......probably a new breeding pair. Took 9 before I was done.

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7027608
10/25/20 09:55 PM
10/25/20 09:55 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
How many beavers were there? I do a lot of nuisance work and have for many years. Looked at a roadside culvert job couple weeks ago and thought......probably a new breeding pair. Took 9 before I was done.

I am new to this big water trapping, so I'm not really sure how many might be living in this particular area. It is backed up a long ways and I cannot see any lodges from the main dam area. The county guy I talked to thought there might be two lodges in this flowage between two lakes. Could well be 10 or more, for all I know. I do know, they contacted the fella who usually traps for them and he declined because he thought a boat was necessary. I'm sure he knows more than I, he lives within a couple miles of the area.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7027612
10/25/20 09:58 PM
10/25/20 09:58 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I was thinking you had to leave them, but wasn't sure. We have been down in the single digits for a half a week and will have it again tonight. It shows a warm up starting good Tuesday. I should maybe go test some ice and see if I can go spearing yet on small water. I like cutting thin ice a lot better than thick.

Last edited by MJM; 10/25/20 10:00 PM.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: MJM] #7027694
10/25/20 11:36 PM
10/25/20 11:36 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by MJM
I was thinking you had to leave them, but wasn't sure. We have been down in the single digits for a half a week and will have it again tonight. It shows a warm up starting good Tuesday. I should maybe go test some ice and see if I can go spearing yet on small water. I like cutting thin ice a lot better than thick.

If its thin enough you dont even have to cut it-just stomp it.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7027717
10/26/20 12:39 AM
10/26/20 12:39 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline
trapper

se South Dakota
Correct, all the carcasses were left for the coyotes and eagles. I also have to notify DNR of catches every day and location of carcasses, in case they wish to check it out. Gonna be a short "special season" for me. Two whole days. Oh well, I did find out how out of shape I am and it's supposed to freeze hard tomorrow night.

So, what was in it for you besides getting the thrill of getting an 80% catch ratio (much better than I could have done) and making your local and state gov guys smile a bit...? Or did they pay you some cash? If I couldn't have gotten the critters for my own use, I would have declined the offer. They'd better remember you for some primo stuff at later date.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: NonPCfed] #7027803
10/26/20 06:55 AM
10/26/20 06:55 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by NonPCfed
Correct, all the carcasses were left for the coyotes and eagles. I also have to notify DNR of catches every day and location of carcasses, in case they wish to check it out. Gonna be a short "special season" for me. Two whole days. Oh well, I did find out how out of shape I am and it's supposed to freeze hard tomorrow night.

So, what was in it for you besides getting the thrill of getting an 80% catch ratio (much better than I could have done) and making your local and state gov guys smile a bit...? Or did they pay you some cash? If I couldn't have gotten the critters for my own use, I would have declined the offer. They'd better remember you for some primo stuff at later date.

Huhh? I don't know about your area but professional beaver removal here requires licencing, training and insurance and those individuals who are highly experienced and well equipped are fewer and fewer. Keeping roads from flooding and saving road wash outs and tens of thousands of dollars if not more is a pretty big responsibility. You're doing the industry a disservice if you're doing it for anything short of very good financial compensation.

Last edited by Crit-R-Dun; 10/26/20 06:55 AM.
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7027907
10/26/20 09:22 AM
10/26/20 09:22 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Crit-R-Dun What is the insurance for? Do you have to pay for road repair due to beaver damage? If Canada would make it so trappers had to jump through more hoops to remove beaver, there will be less people doing it. I can not say I feel a guy needs a special license to kill a beaver plugging a culvert. This sounds like a lot of the ADC work here, where the people that do it, try to limit the competition. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out, if that culvert does not get open it will flood the road. What kind of training do you get? I have never heard of such a thing. I have removed beaver for private parties, water boards, highway depts and railroads. It was all beaver trapping, nothing more.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: MJM] #7027919
10/26/20 09:52 AM
10/26/20 09:52 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by MJM
What's the DNR scared of? They scared you will solve the problem if they turn you loose? A permit for 5? You should explain to them they are causing trouble and need to go. Some how it doesn't make sense to me. But good job on your part.

It called..........^^^^^^^........”Job Security “

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7027922
10/26/20 09:56 AM
10/26/20 09:56 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
4 beaver ..plus set up ...= 375.00 in my neck of the woods...and I keep the Beav.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7027957
10/26/20 10:48 AM
10/26/20 10:48 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
A lot of companys wont hire you to do nuisance trapping unless you carry 5 million 3rd party liability insurance.
Our provincial trapping federation provides the coverage for its members to do nuisance work and also while trapping.It also covers events put on by the local trapping councils.For a long time 2 million was sufficient,but the companys like Ontario Hydro wanted 5 million so it was increased for the membership.A trapper who holds a registered trapline has the first right of refusal to do any nuisance work related to furbearers that occur within the boundarys of his trapline on public land.Almost all the work where I am is related to Beaver complaints by private or public companys with roads on public land.These would include municipalitys,local roads boards,highway maintenance contractors,Logging companys,Private and public utilities companys,etc.
Before you get a trapping licence of any sort in Ontario you must qualify and pass a comprehensive 40 hour trapping course.
Nobody wants yahoos out there in the public realm giving professional trappers a black eye in the media because they dont have a clue what they are doing or got their "training" on youtube.
Proper trapper education and maintaining professionalism in the industry is foremost in protecting our right to trap whether it be for fur or nuisance.

Last edited by Boco; 10/26/20 11:00 AM.

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028041
10/26/20 12:43 PM
10/26/20 12:43 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Boco, you are saying a person that does the beaver work does not get any special training then? If you have a trapping license and are a member of the provincial trapping federation you are good to go? The way Crit-R-Dun made it sound, to me anyway it was that there were special requirements for doing removal beaver work.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028051
10/26/20 12:52 PM
10/26/20 12:52 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Sic' em big dog! grin

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: MJM] #7028055
10/26/20 12:54 PM
10/26/20 12:54 PM
Ontario
S
Saskfly Offline
trapper
Saskfly  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario
Originally Posted by MJM
Boco, you are saying a person that does the beaver work does not get any special training then? If you have a trapping license and are a member of the provincial trapping federation you are good to go?

That's what Boco is saying...

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028110
10/26/20 02:04 PM
10/26/20 02:04 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I said you wont get any trapping licence without taking the 40 hour course.
You do that and you will not only know how to trap them but also their biology,and how to skin and dry them.

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028111
10/26/20 02:05 PM
10/26/20 02:05 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I said you wont get any trapping licence without taking the 40 hour course.
You do that and you will not only know how to trap them(in and out of season) but also their biology,and how to skin and dry them.
There is no special extra licence required.
Some nuisance control company's tried to push that BS to try to shut out trappers from nuisance work but it was shut down in a hurry by the OFMF.
We(licenced trained trappers) manage the furbearers in Ontario and are trained to do it in and out of season.
Nobody is going onto my trapline and trap without my say so any time of the year for any reason.

Last edited by Boco; 10/26/20 02:11 PM.

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028115
10/26/20 02:11 PM
10/26/20 02:11 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
So you learn biology, how to trap, skin and dry every fur bearer, in 40 hours. Sounds like a crammed pack week to me. smirk

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028119
10/26/20 02:15 PM
10/26/20 02:15 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Yes it is a full 40 hours including the skinning and setting of traps.There is a comprehensive trapping manual as well,and homework of course for the bookwork and exam.
The instructors usually train about 10 at a time,some less.
There is also an instructors course every few years to make sure the entire province is covered. When people want to take the course anywhere in the province they can find an instructor or two locally.

Last edited by Boco; 10/26/20 02:18 PM.

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028150
10/26/20 02:40 PM
10/26/20 02:40 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
I like much of the Canadian system when it comes to controlling wildlife. It just wouldn't work down here most places. We have that whole right to compete thing...which has it's own issues at times. Especially when you get the govt guys and big corporation hands in the mix (They do NOT like to compete).

Nessmuch: A few years ago I got yelled at my a local ADC guy for charging too little. He said "going rate around here is $300 per beaver... plus setup". I said great...give me your card and I'll refer you for some business. I have better things to do than trap beaver in August.
Per state law here in MN. we can't keep any part of the beaver out of season. ....and whyTrapperKeck is tossing them. When season opens here, he can keep them and still collect a check.

Good going Trapperkeck. Keep on em and follow up for future problems. Too many guys (including USDA) trap a few, move on and make someone else clean up the hard ones. (ADC work isn't the same as fur trapping....Most times you have to catch every one) Price them accordingly to what YOU need and be willing to write out a receipt for future customers. If you do good work, word will spread. Not a bad time to Make up a business name and open an LLC through the Secretary of State. Can do it on the their webpage for about $65. Just food for thought. Good luck.

Last edited by Calvin; 10/26/20 02:41 PM.
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028318
10/26/20 05:37 PM
10/26/20 05:37 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
Called in my final check today. I hit my legal capacity, according to DNR. County road guy says, keep on trapping. I wonder if he would pay the fine? Anyway, CO called me back wanting locations of carcasses for "educational purposes". I gave directions to the 5 critters. Hopefully, someone will get some use out of them. Here's a couple more pics of the sets/area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The voice of reason!"
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028326
10/26/20 05:56 PM
10/26/20 05:56 PM
South metro, MN
C
Calvin Offline
trapper
Calvin  Offline
trapper
C

South metro, MN
A call back to the warden will get you another permit (or just wait a few days for season). Used to be we got a blanket year long permit but a few years ago someone in the DNR must have thought beaver needed more protection (pfft) so they went to this new permit system (putting more unnecessary work on the laps of the wardens). I haven't had a warden bawk at giving a permit for any (and all) the beaver it took to take care of the damage issue. Sometimes they just keep coming.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread