No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: MJM] #7028495
10/26/20 08:26 PM
10/26/20 08:26 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by MJM
Boco, you are saying a person that does the beaver work does not get any special training then? If you have a trapping license and are a member of the provincial trapping federation you are good to go? The way Crit-R-Dun made it sound, to me anyway it was that there were special requirements for doing removal beaver work.

The Ontario guys pretty much covered the explanation. One of the earlier posters suggested the OP might have been doing the nuisance work for little or no compensation. My point being mainly that trappers tend to sell themselves short as far as the service they perform. It's a unique challenging skill set like any other trade and those providing the service need to be well compensated. Sometimes I think trappers become so accustom to working for nothing in the fur industry they let that mind set spill into the roadside beaver work. Consider the value of your work if you're preventing a $100,000. road wash out.

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028518
10/26/20 08:36 PM
10/26/20 08:36 PM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline OP
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline OP
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I did this job for no pay. Kind of using it for advertising. The CO and the road Department guys were both a little amazed at my success. Hoping they will think of me when a landowner has a paying proposition. Anyway, it's been 4 years since I had set a trap, so it felt good to get out. Incidentally, this was the easiest beaver trapping I have ever done.

"The voice of reason!"
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028528
10/26/20 08:39 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I say again "good job". It is a shame you have to jump through hoops to salve a problem for the DNR.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028530
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by trapperkeck
I did this job for no pay. Kind of using it for advertising. The CO and the road Department guys were both a little amazed at my success. Hoping they will think of me when a landowner has a paying proposition. Anyway, it's been 4 years since I had set a trap, so it felt good to get out. Incidentally, this was the easiest beaver trapping I have ever done.

Well you did great, congrats.

Re: County beaver problem. [Re: trapperkeck] #7028533
10/26/20 08:40 PM
10/26/20 08:40 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Good job Keck and nice pics.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: County beaver problem. [Re: Calvin] #7028595
10/26/20 09:02 PM
10/26/20 09:02 PM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Calvin
Too many guys (including USDA) trap a few, move on and make someone else clean up the hard ones.

The key to real success is being that guy with the skill, patience and work ethic to go along behind those types and fix problems they've created. Clearing grates, pulling dams and unplugging culverts is no fun. Don't doubt for a second that public works road superintendents know who's getting the job done.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread