No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: bfisch] #7028771
10/26/20 10:36 PM
10/26/20 10:36 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
You were on the main river? Take any locals along? Can't you get ling cod with bottom lines?

Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: bfisch] #7028863
10/26/20 11:47 PM
10/26/20 11:47 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
I have speared the big lake a fair amount. I took 13 fish out of it one year that averaged 17lbs. One was only 7, but when I speared it I wasn't planning on going for a fish average. I passed a lot of fish and plenty over 10-12 lbs. But I have found they keep better in the lake than the freezer. I don't like filling the freezer. I like to spear a fish and once it is ate spear another. I enjoy watching them and messing with them. I have a fair amount of video. But it does not want to post on here. I don't know why, but I have more video than I do pictures on this computer. [Linked Image]

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: MJM] #7028892
10/27/20 12:32 AM
10/27/20 12:32 AM
AK
bfisch Offline OP
trapper
bfisch  Offline OP
trapper

AK
Originally Posted by Hodagtrapper
Very nice! I purchased a spear head but have not attached it to a pole yet. Alas, I would have to go a long ways to spear legally!

Chris

You guys can spear sturgeon can't you? That would be primal: man with spear and prehistoric looking fish!

Originally Posted by martentrapper
You were on the main river? Take any locals along? Can't you get ling cod with bottom lines?

Yeah, main river. Took some guys last year and some boys came and both speared this weekend too. Some have borrowed my gear to go when I couldn't. We just got started so there is still time. Not enough ice to walk very far out to make any set lines right now.

Originally Posted by MJM
I have speared the big lake a fair amount. I took 13 fish out of it one year that averaged 17lbs. One was only 7, but when I speared it I wasn't planning on going for a fish average. I passed a lot of fish and plenty over 10-12 lbs. But I have found they keep better in the lake than the freezer. I don't like filling the freezer. I like to spear a fish and once it is ate spear another. I enjoy watching them and messing with them. I have a fair amount of video. But it does not want to post on here. I don't know why, but I have more video than I do pictures on this computer. [Linked Image]

Awesome! You got a youtube channel? Fish are always best fresh, but we freeze them in water and they keep well for up to a year. We all enjoy fried fish sticks! Things are very seasonal here and I only spear early on. The fish are still aggressive and I don't have to go through 4 feet of ice for a chance at even seeing one. I think taking some pike out does the other fish species a favor and we don't have a limit for subsistence. That said I do not waste any, but I don't usually let them pass either. Small ones are always good practice for the younger ones.

Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: bfisch] #7028925
10/27/20 05:31 AM
10/27/20 05:31 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
great read thanks guys , a lot of people here spear pike

Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: bfisch] #7029156
10/27/20 10:35 AM
10/27/20 10:35 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
No, I don't youtube channel. I have thought about doing a DVD, but if I can't figure out how to do a video on here, do you think I can edit videos and make a DVD. I would like to find someone that would do it for me, but don't want to have to sell my spearing gear to have it done. I lived in Fairbanks three years and did a year at Galena. So I have a pretty good idea what your ice get like. I speared out of a appliance cardboard box when I was up there. I would open the flaps and fold it for the ride in the pickup. It worked good. 24 mph wind again today. I hate trying to set the portable up while it is blowing away. With early questionable ice and open water in sight, I don't want to be running after a fish house that is blowing away. I am guessing the water will open back up here in the next week or two from what they show for weather.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: bfisch] #7029171
10/27/20 10:53 AM
10/27/20 10:53 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Congrats, but I'll pass I much prefer my water to remain soft.

[Linked Image]
Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: bfisch] #7029449
10/27/20 03:18 PM
10/27/20 03:18 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Cool pictures and I am glad to see the daughters and terriers getting in on all that fun!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Weekend Spearing [Re: warrior] #7029461
10/27/20 03:28 PM
10/27/20 03:28 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by warrior
Congrats, but I'll pass I much prefer my water to remain soft.

Right! It's really a lot of work to troll too. You have to cut so much ice. wink grin

We are told not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but are told to judge all gunowners by the actions of a few.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread