No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Horse shelter #7029349
10/27/20 02:08 PM
10/27/20 02:08 PM
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline OP
trapper
swift4me  Offline OP
trapper
S

I'm looking for ideas and advice on building a wooden horse shelter. My wife and I are moving to a new place with plenty of pasture but no structure for the animals. We have a mare, two donkeys and two goats. Snow is not a problem, and I understand placing it relative to the prevaling winds. I have an idea of the location for it with some nearby trees for summer shade.

I'm curious about dimensions for this number of animals, concrete or dirt floor and any other ideas or pictures of yours.

I was thinking of a concrete slab for ease of cleaning but it is rocky and good draining soil.

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Re: Horse shelter [Re: swift4me] #7029359
10/27/20 02:19 PM
10/27/20 02:19 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Around here it is easy and economical to build a pole barn but in rocky soil having a slab to erect the poles might prove to be the best set up where you are at. I am not a fan of stalling horses but the people who are plan a 12x12 for each animal.

If this is simply a shelter and they all run together you would probably only need half or 70% of that but there are some tricks I can throw your way.

1) Plan to feed OUTSIDE of that barn unless the weather is complete crap.
2) Spread feeding stations out away from one another- feeding time is when they will get territorial and spread out takes all the pressure off.
3) Completely section off the feed and roughage if you plan on storing it in the same structure. If they can see it they will fight both your fencing and one another.
4) Plan for at least one quarantine, sick pen, or separation stall with a small run and when something does go wrong you will thank me.

There are probably other concepts to consider but those animals if left running together and handled properly would probably herd up, keep each other warm, and share space unless they end up with fights at feeding time.

Congrats and good luck on your new place. You are always welcome to pick my brain and there are some other top hands around here who know livestock in and out. Hopefully they will contribute some of their knowledge too.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Horse shelter [Re: swift4me] #7029374
10/27/20 02:25 PM
10/27/20 02:25 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Good Plan Leftlane^^^

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Horse shelter [Re: swift4me] #7029397
10/27/20 02:39 PM
10/27/20 02:39 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Yes, Hoss summed it up nicely.

I can really testify to a built-in quarantine area. With a door either on a slide from the ceiling, or one that swings shut, but most of the time stay propped open.

I had that option in my chook coop too. Amazing the times when it was needed, all you do is shut the door.

Have the roof so that rain doesn't drip into the openings and flood up the doorways.

If possible, have the open areas to where you can look inside at a distance, from your house, if possible.

Re: Horse shelter [Re: swift4me] #7029429
10/27/20 03:03 PM
10/27/20 03:03 PM
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

Good points Sharon. Drainage probably should have been my #1 in hind site & ease of checking will pay for itself over and over again.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Horse shelter [Re: swift4me] #7029441
10/27/20 03:11 PM
10/27/20 03:11 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Thanks Hoss...yes, ease of seeing what's going on inside easily without having to walk outside. In winter, I loved to be able to see inside the windows at my chooks . The infrared soft light would just allow me to see them. And they loved looking out at me too , warm in their coop, and at what was going on outside .

With horses, especially foaling stalls, being able to see inside easily is a real plus, if you don't have a live feed video cam set up.

That also works to monitor anyone sick ...to see quickly if they are standing ok or laying down .

Re: Horse shelter [Re: swift4me] #7030055
10/28/20 01:54 AM
10/28/20 01:54 AM
S
swift4me Offline OP
trapper
swift4me  Offline OP
trapper
S

Thanks for the ideas. I've seen plenty of pictures on the internet that will accomplish the suggestions for drainage and visibilty if I put it in the right place. For 11 years the stone barn at the farm worked great with a dirt floor. The mare foaled in there at night years ago while the donkeys stood guard, and it has been easy to clean. I wish I could take it with me.

On my next visit to the new place I'm going to talk to some others who have horses and talk with them. Skipping the concrete slab would be great, but probably not a big deal to get a truck in there to do the pour. I'm also going to put on a corrugated roof with a gutter so I can collect rainwater for drinking water. We have about 15 acres of pasture, so hay should only be a winter issue.

They eat well together but the mare is naturally the head beach, so I give them hay in two piles and they get along. There won't be any more foals and I doubt we'll ever have more than we have now.

Thanks again.

Pete

Last edited by swift4me; 10/28/20 02:15 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread