No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Nebraska 2020 #7029977
10/27/20 10:44 PM
10/27/20 10:44 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I've been dabbling a little bit getting started trapping this year. I'll try and keep as much photographic evidence going as I can on the Nebraska line this year. I also recently got a goPro so I've been doing a little recording out on the line. When life slows down a little bit here I'll try to add some videos to my youtube. I'm currently trapping a couple locations that we will have cattle on soon. So I am just taking out some coyotes before we put them on there. I'm running right at about a dozen traps just enough to keep me happy until the seasons open for everything else. I've already had to let out my fair share of animals that didn't include coyotes.

First night and first trap. Always good to get the first one out of the way. Interestingly I've been on another site and they were discussing pre-digging holes. I was on location scouting one day so I just dug a trap bed and a dirt hole. When I came back to set it about a week later I noticed this coyote had been there twice leaving droppings at the hole. No bait, lure, or urine on the empty hole. So I put a trap in front of it, bait, and quality urine. First time was a success.

[Linked Image]

This is a corn field that my father had seen a coyote carrying a rabbit by the grain cart and a second trying to catch another as they ran out of the corn. First night in I already had to release the first cat of the season. Nice Tom. A raccoon was the double next to it. I'm almost certain the raccoon probably was caught first and the cat had to come check out the ruckus. I can't say enough about Graham's Cat Creek. After taking a year off of it I'm excited to get it back in the ground. It's responsible for a large majority of my first night cat catches in the past and up to 7 cats off 40 acres in 10 days.

[Linked Image]

In typical fashion as soon as I decided to put a few traps out the weather came. I'm using nothing but peat moss/table salt. We had rain/sleet/snow and when the first picture was taken the windchill was down to around 9 degrees. If you dry it out completely it will get you through some pretty rough weather.

[Linked Image]

This brush pile has notoriously drawn the coyotes to it. I don't even know how many I've caught off of there in the past. The snow got them moving for sure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I might try to get a few more out here soon. They're all popping and the coyotes are moving. It would be nice to run a full line about now as well as they are moving. For now I'm content just hitting these places I won't have access to soon and taking in the fresh air in the mornings.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7029989
10/27/20 11:01 PM
10/27/20 11:01 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Great pics and good luck. I hope to be in Nebraska this weekend and chase some grouse through the Sandhills and then get back home and finish prep for 20/21 season

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7029992
10/27/20 11:05 PM
10/27/20 11:05 PM
Ks
Flint Hill fur Offline
trapper
Flint Hill fur  Offline
trapper

Ks
Good stuff Wade. Keep us in the loop

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030014
10/27/20 11:39 PM
10/27/20 11:39 PM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
[quote=WadeRyan]I've been dabbling a little bit getting started trapping this year. I'll try and keep as much photographic evidence going as I can on the Nebraska line this year. I also recently got a goPro so I've been doing a little recording out on the line. When life slows down a little bit here I'll try to add some videos to my youtube. I'm currently trapping a couple locations that we will have cattle on soon. So I am just taking out some coyotes before we put them on there. I'm running right at about a dozen traps just enough to keep me happy until the seasons open for everything else. I've already had to let out my fair share of animals that didn't include coyotes.

First night and first trap. Always good to get the first one out of the way. Interestingly I've been on another site and they were discussing pre-digging holes. I was on location scouting one day so I just dug a trap bed and a dirt hole. When I came back to set it about a week later I noticed this coyote had been there twice leaving droppings at the hole. No bait, lure, or urine on the empty hole. So I put a trap in front of it, bait, and quality urine. First time was a success.

I've been doing the pre-digging and driving a pilot hole for anchor for quite a few years so I can still set the spot when everything freezes up. I've had the pre dug spot wreak of coyote urine or have a dropping by it. It's almost a guaranteed set. I believe you precondition the coyote. They have smelled you there once before and haven't encountered any danger so it feels relatively safe the next time when it encounters an active set.

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030018
10/27/20 11:45 PM
10/27/20 11:45 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Wish I was starting a fur line in NE. Need to get back there in years to come. Just something about those dogs and that air and that country!
What part are you trapping Wade?
I usually head north of Thedford 25 miles or out to Crawford. Thedford has way more dogs!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030032
10/28/20 12:10 AM
10/28/20 12:10 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Silky yes there was a lot of discussion on whether you were wasting your time and whether the intrigue would wear off. I've pre-dug multiple holes in the past because at some point our ground generally becomes concrete with 6 inches of frost which makes it pretty difficult to make any type of hole. I had just been reading the discussion and thought why not I'm here I'll just pop a set in for the heck of it. Obviously the intrigue never wore off it was his at least third trip to the set in a week that I can confirm. Maybe more. I caught a coon in the remake the second night as it snowed. A second coyote came and tangled pretty well with him. I just reset the trap today hopefully his intrigue remains the same as well.

Mark I'm clear down in the southeastern part of the state. I've hit some mange right off the bat. I've killed eight coyotes in three checks running my dozen traps but I've only skinned two. Not good but honestly at this point they aren't worth much anyways. Both pups I've skinned have been blue. I'm trapping locations that my dad intends to drop our cattle on. He's been harvesting and is way behind getting them on stalks. In the next couple weeks the fields I am on now will be covered in Angus so I am just cleaning up some coyotes to ease the calving that will begin in February.

It's just enough to scratch the itch and it's much better than sitting at home staring at the wall. There's no shortage of coyotes this year for sure. I've seen plenty of tracks in the day since the weather came along. I'm trapping a hog unit that's notoriously packed with mange. There's usually 1-2 good ones out of the bunch. It's too bad the coons aren't worth much this year. The ones I've let out of the coyote sets have been some of the best coons I've probably ever caught. Nice black/silver.

A guy could have really put a hurting on the coyotes this week if they'd had a large line out. I've done well with just my small collection. I might add a couple stops as November gets here. I'm not in a real big hurry to start dropping a load of them yet. Still got some work to finish up before I can really enjoy the season too.

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030078
10/28/20 05:22 AM
10/28/20 05:22 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
great ,keep it going smile

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030103
10/28/20 06:19 AM
10/28/20 06:19 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Great start wade, thank you for sharing!
Jim

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030555
10/28/20 05:55 PM
10/28/20 05:55 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Online content
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Online Content
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Looks like a great way to crack out this fall! Nicely done

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030567
10/28/20 06:01 PM
10/28/20 06:01 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Enjoy your posts throughout the season! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030681
10/28/20 07:18 PM
10/28/20 07:18 PM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline OP
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Fourth check this morning. Two more coyotes. Up to 10 coyotes in four checks. I’ve only brought three home that were worth looking at.

Another hog unit special. I had seen tracks in the snow and couldn’t get this one to commit. I added some of Keg Creeks Mamba to two of the dirtholes. It’s a lure I tested for Marty and I don’t believe it’s on his website yet. Definitely a good change up I don’t use lure often but there was a day a coyote worked the sets but not enough. This morning I found out why. Old male pair with nothing but gums. Three leg coyote which explains why I was having troubles getting him. Unfortunately covered in mange.

[Linked Image]

Finally what I like seeing here in Nebraska. First coyote of the year that wasn’t blue. He made the ride home. Was caught in the remake on the double from yesterday. I’ll probably expand a bit Friday as our season will be coming in soon on everything else. Twelve sets was just enough to scratch the itch.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030685
10/28/20 07:22 PM
10/28/20 07:22 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I was lucky enough to find a fancy sandhills coyote roadkilled early this morning. Dropped him off at the skinner's tonight.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030772
10/28/20 08:19 PM
10/28/20 08:19 PM
S/W Wisconsin
rpmartin Offline
trapper
rpmartin  Offline
trapper

S/W Wisconsin
Great job wade, too bad about the mange but it is what it is. Clean em out to the point the coyotes start waving the white flag. Lol
Great time to figure out some of the finer points to Wiley trapping .

Life member,
NRA, NTA, RMEF, Pheasants Forever.
WTA,TTA,FTA,SA,GOA, member

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030781
10/28/20 08:25 PM
10/28/20 08:25 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Good job Wade. That last yote looks pretty good! It always comes back to one thing....you can't sell em if you don't catch em! I gotta go see the grandkids on turkey day, so I'm not gonna get to wound up till then, but I may sneak out and set a few like you have! grin

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030833
10/28/20 08:55 PM
10/28/20 08:55 PM
Indiana Linton-Greene County
Matt(rat killer) Offline
trapper
Matt(rat killer)  Offline
trapper

Indiana Linton-Greene County
I’ve got gear ready to go. I’ll be leaving for Nebraska Friday after turkey day. Hopefully Wade will have all the ice, snow and rain cleared out for my arrival. I’ve never trapped there in totally dry conditions.
I haven’t even set a trap yet here in Indiana. We’ve had rain since the season came in and there’s another 3+ inches on the way.

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030865
10/28/20 09:08 PM
10/28/20 09:08 PM
Idaho
Marten Ted Offline
trapper
Marten Ted  Offline
trapper

Idaho
Awesome! Great pics and nice looking coyotes.

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030947
10/28/20 10:31 PM
10/28/20 10:31 PM
Nebraska
BraskaYoter Offline
trapper
BraskaYoter  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Nice work Wade. Ive been dabbling out west also, but just had over a foot of snow dropped and negative temps on Friday - Sunday and going to be mid 50° tomorrow so a few muddy days and frozen nights in my future. Not all bad though we really needed the moisture, and will be easier to bed traps in than dry powdered dirt. Getting some decent yotes on this end, best of luck.

Failure leads to learning, learning leads to improvement.

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7030957
10/28/20 10:39 PM
10/28/20 10:39 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Fourth check this morning. Two more coyotes. Up to 10 coyotes in four checks. I’ve only brought three home that were worth looking at.

Another hog unit special. I had seen tracks in the snow and couldn’t get this one to commit. I added some of Keg Creeks Mamba to two of the dirtholes. It’s a lure I tested for Marty and I don’t believe it’s on his website yet. Definitely a good change up I don’t use lure often but there was a day a coyote worked the sets but not enough. This morning I found out why. Old male pair with nothing but gums. Three leg coyote which explains why I was having troubles getting him. Unfortunately covered in mange.

[Linked Image]

Finally what I like seeing here in Nebraska. First coyote of the year that wasn’t blue. He made the ride home. Was caught in the remake on the double from yesterday. I’ll probably expand a bit Friday as our season will be coming in soon on everything else. Twelve sets was just enough to scratch the itch.

[Linked Image]

Man-o-man, I miss your country. Just a great start to trap coyotes in.
Bummer about the mange. I thought that had worked through pretty well in most of the state but it's rearing its head again?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7031016
10/28/20 11:58 PM
10/28/20 11:58 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Mark, don't take this as gospel grin I'm thinking (from my last forty years) that mange has to cycle through the population at least every five years, till it finially gets wiped out! I saw yotes die down to where the fox and cats got quite plentiful, twice in my life. Several years there I didn't hear a yote for a long time, then be good coyotes for a season when they came back, and the next year it would start all over again. I hate mange, one of the saddest afflictions that critters can get!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Nebraska 2020 [Re: WadeRyan] #7031019
10/29/20 12:01 AM
10/29/20 12:01 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Good advice Lee,

I plan to trap my NE fur line again fall of 2022 Lord willing so I hope north central NE doesn't have too much mange then.
I remember how bad it was about 6-7 years ago. I wait early because I couldn't run all day to toss 6 outta 10 dogs.

Stay well out there and good luck brother staying healthy ya old fart.
Wait a minute. I'm on Lee's bus!!!

Blessings,
Mark

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread