No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: danny clifton] #7031223
10/29/20 07:55 AM
10/29/20 07:55 AM
wisconsin
cowboy2005 Offline
trapper
cowboy2005  Offline
trapper

wisconsin
Originally Posted by danny clifton
I think its interesting that people are so quick to defend the religion they are raised in. Hindu, Buddhist, Jew, it doesn't matter. Most of the time they carry on like you have insulted them, they get angry in fact, when you tell them you have a different belief. Fortunately, most religions don't have a requirement for the faithful to proselytize. I am polite when approached until the proselytizer gets insistent. I feel like I am just sticking up for myself in the face of rude behavior at that point.

I have noticed a lot of interest in ancient religion the last few years. Asatru in Iceland and Pagan goddess worship in Britton that has taken root here in the U.S. is called Wicca now. A lot more American Indians have begun to practice their religion's as well. Pagan religion never really disappeared from Europe. This in spite of the persecution practitioners were subjected to. So resurgence doesn't really surprise me now that persecution has abated a bunch. American Indians were punished for their beliefs as well so again, resurgence today is only natural.

It seems a commonality amongst all humans worldwide to invent a religion that becomes intertwined with their culture. Defining morality as well as giving explanation to some common questions/mystery's all humans have. The biggy of course is the beginning of life.

You seem think all of us were raised Christian? Where did you get that idea? I know tons of people that found God as adults.
Also you keep asking questions but refuse to answer any?
If all beliefs are cons then so are you con man Dan.

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031233
10/29/20 07:58 AM
10/29/20 07:58 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
“My premise is that the popular aphorism that 'all religions are fundamentally the same and only superficially different' simply is not true. It is more correct to say that all religions are, at best, superficially similar but fundamentally different”. Ravi Zacharias

One of the greatest minds in the last 100 years and most of the post above are addressed by him on YouTube. Ravi passed a few months ago and the world lost a great man

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: KenaiKid] #7031254
10/29/20 08:30 AM
10/29/20 08:30 AM
Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
J
James Offline OP
"Minka"
James  Offline OP
"Minka"
J

Coeur d' Alene, Idaho
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
The most widespread and pervasive religion in Western society is the one that's not called a religion. It's the one James subscribes to, as he confessed in his post. That is: Greek Philosophy and its fruit, rationalism.

"I've noticed that religion tends to inoculate itself against intellectual challenges by rationalizing away those challenges."

The premise is that rationalism trumps spiritualism, that spiritual matters must be subjected to and approved by the intellect. Of course, this in turn requires belief that the human brain is, essentially, god- the definer and gateway of truth.

None of this is new, of course, nor is it as organic as one might think. It was the Greek philosophers, Plato, Aristotle and Socrates, who introduced the idea, and it spread through the Roman Empire and became a pillar of European culture and worldview. It's worth noting that the philosophers didn't reject spirituality, they just segregated it. Dualism is a key tenet in Greek teaching: they viewed the physical, intellectual and spiritual as separate and opposed forces in a human, and required that one "be in charge." There were many debates about whether a man should be first spiritual or intellectual, but the intellect won out. Therefore the greatest virtue and identifier for Greek man was HIS THOUGHTS.
"Cogito, ergo sums -- I think, therefor I am". The Greeks invented the academic class and higher education because they determined that intellect was highest part of a man, and therefore the most worth investing in. The Greeks invented occupations such as Philosopher, Scientist, and Professor so they could abstain from the physical and spiritual and invest wholly in the intellectual.

Now this is not to say that rationalists must be atheists- many of the Greeks had spiritual beliefs, and many do today. But their spiritualism can only go so far as their intellect allows. It's a matter of which is the "higher power."

Like I said, this philosophy is the strongest single influence in Western culture, including our religions. Christianity especially was strongly tainted with Greek influence due to to Roman Empire, and that influence persists today.

You've described me well with the words in bold. Yes, I operate by that premise: my intellect must be satisfied first, before I'll accept a proposition or argument.

I've been that way so long I don't know how to think or believe otherwise.

Jim

Forum Infidel since 2001

"And that troll bs is something triggered snowflakes say when they dont like what someone posts." - Boco
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: Pawnee] #7031257
10/29/20 08:34 AM
10/29/20 08:34 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by Pawnee
“My premise is that the popular aphorism that 'all religions are fundamentally the same and only superficially different' simply is not true. It is more correct to say that all religions are, at best, superficially similar but fundamentally different”. Ravi Zacharias

One of the greatest minds in the last 100 years and most of the post above are addressed by him on YouTube. Ravi passed a few months ago and the world lost a great man

Amazing mind, a guy that could take the most complicated question and take it down to most rational explanation. Well worth listening to him if one is looking for understanding.

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031276
10/29/20 08:56 AM
10/29/20 08:56 AM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Pre-Covid, at the NTA convention, an anti-trapper as we would label them, made her way to our booth (why our booth?) and perhaps because we were quite busy with a number of trappers talking shop, the lady stepped up and said plainly and with no hesitation; "You trappers are stupid ignorant Stone Age jerks" or something really close to that labeling as I recall.. Stupid. Ignorant. Stone Age. Jerks. 4 descriptors for one noun: Trappers.
The trappers around my booth were drop jawed and one asked "how'd you get in here?"
I smiled because she may be correct. I probably am stupid. Ignorant. Stone Age and a Jerk if her world view is through her lens of; "I alone know all things which are "Smart," "Knowledgeable," "Modern," and "Good."
Label me coach.

The nice lady of course didn't stay but for a brief moment as she threw her verbal grenade into our trapper's talk.
Donna said to me afterwards, "People like that always just have to win. Why did she come to a trapping convention for Pete's sake? All there are here is people she hates?"
All I could come up with was "babe, people with a calloused heart just feel better for a moment when they denigrate others. The high doesn't last long so they get up again tomorrow and start all over again. It's not a good way to walk around but millions of people do it every day."

We pray for our enemies like this woman that they find rational truth not in themselves, but in the One who made it all to begin with.
Science says that there are more trillions of stars in the galaxies then all the sands of our earth. Mind-boggling. The design of it all.
Rational thinking and free thinking is our divine crafted gift, not meant to be otherwise.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031439
10/29/20 11:57 AM
10/29/20 11:57 AM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
When I talk to a person with a religious belief, these days I just say . " Whatever god or gods you believe in must be the right one or ones and leave it at that and quietly hope that so will that person.

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: bjansma] #7031451
10/29/20 12:13 PM
10/29/20 12:13 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by bjansma
I am a Christian. That is my worldview, full disclosure. I am also a logical and rational person. I felt like I came up with a rational argument for Christianity when I was wrestling with my faith years ago. If someone is seeking a logical, rational argument for Christianity I hope this helps. Its not a perfect argument but it helped me.

Here it goes....

I feel as if the opposition, by the amount of persecution, proves that Christianity is real. Let me make an example. I don't spend(nobody does) arguing with flat earthers that they are wrong. They can believe it, preach it in the streets, etc, but I don't need to waste my time. I can shake my head, crack a joke, and go on about my day. But some people seem to declare it their life's purpose to disprove, or belittle Christianity.

Christianity endures all kinds of persecution. There aren't rock bands dedicated to making fun of and belittling Islam, or a belief in big bang theory, or(list anything you can think of) but there are many that make fun of Christianity. It seems as if the argument against proves the argument for. There is a concerted effort to discredit Christianity from all directions. It could be from personal attacks, government, science, education or music. The attacks come from every facet of the world we live in. No (fill in the blank, anything), has received so much effort to disprove it. Why? And, with such an effort, for 2000 years now Christianity has continued to grow.

I would argue that people would rather spend their lives to trying to discredit Christianity than allowing themselves to believe in its truth. Because believing that Christianity is true means you have to do what it says. Namely, submitting to God, and dealing with your sin by asking for forgiveness, and accepting Jesus' redemptive work on the cross. And that is too difficult for them.

Just another way of looking at it that I really haven't heard put out there before. Hope this helps someone.

I agree with you. No other faith receives as much persecution as Christianity. Not surprising. Jesus said we would be persecuted on account of His name.

When's the last time you heard the name of Budda, Mohammad, Allah, etc used in vain or as a curse word? I never have. But, I've sure heard the name of Jesus used plenty of times. That strengthens my faith in Jesus cause it tells me Jesus is the real deal. All the rest are phony.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: ] #7031463
10/29/20 12:31 PM
10/29/20 12:31 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Mark June
Originally Posted by James
Atheism isn't a religion, Mark, it's a belief system. There are the words "theist" and "atheist," and they are opposites. The letter "a-" is a prefix that means the opposite of, like the in the word "atypical."

Buddhism is an interesting religion. It originated in India and spread throughout the Far East in the way Christianity spread through the West. The Buddha was said to have performed miracles, like levitating in the lotus position.

Buddhists believe everything is nothingness. We are essentially just holographic projections. A true master, or lesser buddha, avoids all attachments to things and people in the earthly world.

Buddhism had a big impact in Japan, where it's kind of melded with native Shintoism. Japanese people call a Buddhist monk for a birth and a funeral, but call a Shinto priest for a marriage. Go figure.

Jim

I should have used the word "and" rather than the word "including."
You got me counselor. grin

Blessings,
Mark

Archaeologists recently recovered a huge sandstone casket in the ruins of an ancient city near Kapilvastu, India. The inscription on the coffin indicates that the contents are the mortal remains of Buddha.

Buddha's wisdom, backed by the evidence of his own decayed body, seems far less credible than the word of God which bears the authority of the empty tomb of Jesus.

I don't care how nice the hand soap smells, you should never walk out of the restroom sniffing your fingers.
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031474
10/29/20 12:58 PM
10/29/20 12:58 PM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
^^^^^^
Along the same lines of thinking (your post previous to your last one).

I've noticed that many (not all) atheists want to argue against the existence of God -guys like Dawkins, Hitchens, etc-.
But I never see anyone want to argue against the belief in trolls, the tooth fairy, etc; synonymous for what these guys argue is the same as belief in God.

If these guys truly disbelieve, why would they waste their time arguing against the belief in God?

I Believe there are basically three kinds of atheists, with some overlap:
1) Those who are angry with God, and are in a long, protracted argument with Him. Many of whom have been hurt (usually early in life) by some sort of authority figure, and transfer that anger against God.
2) Those who out of convenience don't want to believe in God, because they realize that if they do acknowledge God they are then responsible to make a decision as to whether or not they will yield to Him which might require them to change their behavior.

I believe these first two categories consist of people who deep down inside do actually believe to some degree that there is a God.

The the third category:
These people are usually very intellectual people who find it hard, if not impossible to conceive that there could possibly be something or someone that they themselves are not capable of understanding.

I think this third category of prideful people are probably the only true atheists.

Last edited by waggler; 10/29/20 12:59 PM.

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031494
10/29/20 01:28 PM
10/29/20 01:28 PM
IA
T
teepee2 Offline
trapper
teepee2  Offline
trapper
T

IA
To look up into the stars at night and imagine that there is no end to it. [that we can prove]. How can a person not have faith that there is a a god. And there lies the key to religion faith.

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: teepee2] #7031567
10/29/20 02:41 PM
10/29/20 02:41 PM

M
Mark June
Unregistered
Mark June
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by teepee2
To look up into the stars at night and imagine that there is no end to it. [that we can prove]. How can a person not have faith that there is a a god. And there lies the key to religion faith.

David, through whom God worked amazing miracles, and archeologists estimate there were around 50,000 people on earth
wrote just like you do teepee2 when we have over 6+ billion humans on earth;
Darwinism has been discounted by raw numbers.
Evolution was, is, and always will be: by God's design;

O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth, who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens.
From the mouth of infants and nursing babes You have established strength because of Your adversaries, to make the enemy and the revengeful cease.
When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, the moon and the stars, which You have ordained;
What is man that You take thought of him, and the son of man that You care for him?
Yet You have made him a little lower than God, and You crown him with glory and majesty!
You make him to rule over the works of Your hands; You have put all things under his feet,
All sheep and oxen, and also the beasts of the field, the birds of the heavens and the fish of the sea, whatever passes through the paths of the seas.
O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is Your name in all the earth!

Psalm 8:1–9 (NASB)

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031601
10/29/20 03:16 PM
10/29/20 03:16 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I don't know much about other religions. A little about some of them, but not enough to inform anyone else about them.

I find that very few non-Christians really know much at all about the basics of the Christian religion. What little they think they know is usually wrong. Heck, I think that could also be said about many who do claim to be Christians. Knowing this, it would be foolish for me to try to tell someone else about a religion that I haven't studied in depth.

Christianity is definitely a faith. It's truth is not something that can be proven or disproven. But neither is it a blind faith. There is extraordinarily reasonable and credible evidence to suggest the truth of the Bible and the knowledge it contains.

Anyways, since this has changed into a discussion about Christianity instead of what we know about other religions, I'm reminded of a statement from one of my favorite apologists, C.S. Lewis. Lewis was once an atheist, but, I think through his friendship with J.R.R. Tolkien, came to become a Christian well into his adulthood. He was certainly a learned man with a magnificent intellect. He wrote, "“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

I'm also reminded of the words of Jesus recorded in the gospel of Matthew:
"At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do."

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031655
10/29/20 04:32 PM
10/29/20 04:32 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
I was a nominal 'Christian' for a long time. I knew other people in the church I attended had something I didn't but I'd said the prayers and done everything they said was required to be one. God hadn't yet moved in my life. When God did move, I was changed in the twinkling of an eye, a new creature passed from death unto life. Old things passed away and all things became new. It's impossible to explain this to someone who doesn't believe.

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031672
10/29/20 05:11 PM
10/29/20 05:11 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
https://www.history.com/topics/religion/hinduism I always thought this was interesting. I still dont understand putting a wreath of flowers on a cow when your starving but it could be worse I guess. The whole karma thing to have a better reincarnation surly goes a long way to keep lower caste people from armed revolt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism is another ancient religion I find interesting. I believe Morgan freeman is one. Zoroastrianism is about 1000 years older than Judaism and looks to me like where a lot of Jewish ideas came from. Both are middle eastern in origin.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031712
10/29/20 05:47 PM
10/29/20 05:47 PM
KY.usa
rex123 Offline
trapper
rex123  Offline
trapper

KY.usa
I have read this post and have one question concerning the topic. I was told long ago when I was young by a preacher that to be a Christian was to follow Christ and to try and emulate him in your life. Is that what most of you believe? It's just a simple yes or no answer.

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: rex123] #7031777
10/29/20 07:07 PM
10/29/20 07:07 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
Originally Posted by rex123
I have read this post and have one question concerning the topic. I was told long ago when I was young by a preacher that to be a Christian was to follow Christ and to try and emulate him in your life. Is that what most of you believe? It's just a simple yes or no answer.

I'll be your huckleberry and play your game. My answer is yes
Just to be clear I don't want to die on a cross if thats what your next question is. Lol

Last edited by Yes sir; 10/29/20 07:14 PM.
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031788
10/29/20 07:13 PM
10/29/20 07:13 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Yes, rex123.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: rex123] #7031792
10/29/20 07:16 PM
10/29/20 07:16 PM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Arkansas
Originally Posted by rex123

No.

James 1: 19-20
Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031808
10/29/20 07:25 PM
10/29/20 07:25 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Ideally, you let Christ live out His life through you.

Re: Other faiths than Christianity [Re: James] #7031827
10/29/20 07:37 PM
10/29/20 07:37 PM
Arkansas
J
J Staton Offline
trapper
J Staton  Offline
trapper
J

Arkansas
I reckon Christ would rather us emulate Paul. Matthew 28:19-20