No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032507
10/30/20 11:18 AM
10/30/20 11:18 AM
Worthington, IN
S
Scott T Offline
trapper
Scott T  Offline
trapper
S

Worthington, IN
How can you set up and hunt on a horse trail and then get upset because of riders coming through. The deer would be used to the horses and the hunting wouldn’t be affected much anyway. It would be a mental struggle to keep from knocking him out of his tree like a giant squirrel.

Looks like he needs another year;-)
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032512
10/30/20 11:24 AM
10/30/20 11:24 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
The horse has a really small no-kill zone.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7032518
10/30/20 11:32 AM
10/30/20 11:32 AM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
well that certainly has significant down angle

I would think either the shooter was practically above them or was a ways off and went to pull back , tripped the release while the bow was at a 45* angle up and sent that arrow on a long arc

there is a reason the ceiling at the arhcery club has many arrow strikes

That was my exact though after seeing that picture. Hit the release while pulling back.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7032542
10/30/20 12:08 PM
10/30/20 12:08 PM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin

I would think either the shooter was practically above them or was a ways off and went to pull back , tripped the release while the bow was at a 45* angle up and sent that arrow on a long arc

Yup and you'll quickly be corrected if you're caught drawing up rather than drawing down.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032546
10/30/20 12:11 PM
10/30/20 12:11 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I think the horse kicked a dropped or previously shot arrow, from the angle, where the arrow got stuck, how a horse's leg flexes, lack of deep penetration and the fact the rider did not notice the impact immediately.

Keith

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: KeithC] #7032554
10/30/20 12:24 PM
10/30/20 12:24 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by KeithC
I think the horse kicked a dropped or previously shot arrow, from the angle, where the arrow got stuck, how a horse's leg flexes, lack of deep penetration and the fact the rider did not notice the impact immediately.

Keith

I also wondered how a Ryder could not immediately notice and arrow fly in and strike the animal

Boco it seems some horses are very fragile

I have seen deer running with out a hoof running right on the bone and making good time keeping right up with the others

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032574
10/30/20 12:53 PM
10/30/20 12:53 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline
trapper
slydogx  Offline
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I would give even odds on a "false flag" incident by an anti... scoring points against hunting AND horse ownership (which they viciously oppose)

Just happy to be here.
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032578
10/30/20 12:56 PM
10/30/20 12:56 PM
kentucky
L
logger coffey Offline
trapper
logger coffey  Offline
trapper
L

kentucky
My opinion is the arrow wasn't broke off ,by the looks of the shaft part on the broadhead. my guess is its set up for the facebook crowd.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032579
10/30/20 12:57 PM
10/30/20 12:57 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
If it didn't hit right into a vulnerable spot to affect the hydraulics immediately, yes they all can go with very bad injuries for a long time until they succumb to blood loss, etc. The stories of the war horses and mules in combat are full of cases of amazing endurance despite dire injuries. Shock and adrenalin also are factors of not feeling much until some time elapses.

Unfortunately, there are a number of horse owners who are not skilled with enough miles or experience to feel the slightest change in gait or weight shift compensation to notice an injury until it becomes very obvious. A good discerning rider can feel and tell what their mount is going to do just by tension in the muscles alone, before the feet even begin to move.

Pete, not all us horse folks are frantic and drama filled smile

Enjoying both hunting, firearms and riding, the folks I know don't give a thought about hunting on their land, amidst cattle or horses. They know hunters are skilled whom they grant permission , even encouraging shooting every coyote they see along the way.

Loving to ride in the fall , September through November, being hunt season too, I also keep in mind the areas hunters like to go, and so I stick to the main forestry roads . Seeing a truck parked off to the side is also a clear indicator someone is in the bush , and it is easy to avoid going into trails in those areas.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032581
10/30/20 01:02 PM
10/30/20 01:02 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Ok let me get this straight . Some one was on the horse when it was shot? Something doesn't add up. First of all if a horse was shot with a bow it would more than likely buck, kick run. (if it was able) . Second of all was this a trail ride for the blind? Did the rider not see who shot at him. Sounds like some major details have been left out... Not like a bow hunter can snipe from 1/2 mile away. I would rather say rider was carrying a cocked crossbow on his horseback and it went off. Thus the straight down angle... IF it was a hunter the rider would hear the bow fire and the smack when the arrow struck. You hit something as hard as a horses hoof and it would pop like a 410 shot gun.

Last edited by jbyrd63; 10/30/20 01:06 PM.
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Pike River] #7032583
10/30/20 01:03 PM
10/30/20 01:03 PM
Washington
wildflights Offline
trapper
wildflights  Offline
trapper

Washington
Originally Posted by Pike River
[Linked Image]

We have a horse that tends to drag its feet.
I don't think it would be a stretch that the arrow was on the ground and the horse walked into it. Especially on a rear foot where a front hoof could have kicked it up. That is about the angle I would expect from such a thing.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. -Gustav Mahler
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: slydogx] #7032587
10/30/20 01:09 PM
10/30/20 01:09 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by slydogx
I would give even odds on a "false flag" incident by an anti... scoring points against hunting AND horse ownership (which they viciously oppose)

you are right look at the x-ray if the blades had cut that deep into the bone there would be fragments backwards from the entry point. That broad head was lain over the x-ray . No bone damage in the wound canal !!!!!!

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032590
10/30/20 01:12 PM
10/30/20 01:12 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
As a horse person I'm questioning the story and x ray also

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032592
10/30/20 01:15 PM
10/30/20 01:15 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
x2

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: jbyrd63] #7032594
10/30/20 01:16 PM
10/30/20 01:16 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Online content
"American Honey"
Sharon  Online Content
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by slydogx

you are right look at the x-ray if the blades had cut that deep into the bone there would be fragments backwards from the entry point. That broad head was lain over the x-ray . No bone damage in the wound canal !!!!!!

I thought that also. The bones look fine with no dings or fragments.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032603
10/30/20 01:24 PM
10/30/20 01:24 PM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Circle the wagons !!! It couldn’t possibly be some freaking IDIOT! I especially like the long ark theory. I shot an arrow into the air, It fell to earth I know not where.
My guess is an IDIOT got a case of buck fever anticipating the huge buck he was going to brag about to his buddies.

I say this based on the IDIOT that took something very precious away from my father. When he heard a young man brag about taking a couple of SOUND SHOTS, he quit hunting deer all together.

I say this based on the IDIOT that shot a horse out from under a man I worked with. Even though the rider was wearing blaze orange vest as per Montana hunting regs, and the horse had a blaze orange saddle blanket and orange surveying ribbon tied in its mane and tail. The blanket and ribbon are standard procedure in the Rocky Mountains during hunting season for most horsemen by the way. Hmmm wonder why that is. The “hunter” swore he was shooting at an elk.

I say this based on the IDIOT that shot a good friend’s son in the knee while he was having a mid morning snack and rest break with his brother on top of a boulder. Both men were wearing blaze orange. Jim has a severe limp
to this day. I can’t imagine the pain he went through over thirty years ago.

I say this based on the IDIOT that almost shot a moose right between the eyes YESTERDAY.
That IDIOT was me. I was elk hunting in an any elk unit, on the third sit I was using a cow elk call very subtly in some very thick lodgepole. After a few minutes I saw some legs moving from right to left. I said to myself there you are as it angled toward me. It was playing peekaboo with me when I spotted the eyes and a perfect set of brow tines. I didn’t have a clear shot through all the small branches so I waited then he turned and trotted from left to right. And what I thought was was a bull elk magically turned into a pretty decent shira bull moose.
This all happened at about thirty yards and about a minute and a half. I never saw his body until he was leaving, dead giveaway, they are black.
His legs in the late afternoon sun shined and appeared to be brown. When I saw the eyes and browtines my mind said nice bull. Thankfully I waited for a better shot as my mind had already identified the target as a legal bull elk. After all I was using an elk call. I was in elk habitat, the critter responded exactly like dozens of elk have on other occasions. I could see his browtines!

In the original post the only scenario I believe other than the archers mind playing tricks, is the one about trying to spook the horse. I mean seriously, how dare they interrupt his deer hunt with their silly trail riding. Sarcasm emoji goes here.

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032606
10/30/20 01:36 PM
10/30/20 01:36 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Online content
Yes sir  Online Content
Y

Marion Kansas
I apologize for jumping to conclusions. I made the mistake of basing my opinion on the facts presented in the article and the x-ray. I should has considered ur dad, your good friends son and you.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: Eagleye] #7032610
10/30/20 01:40 PM
10/30/20 01:40 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
I always thought sound shots were an intentional myth perpetuated to scare people out of someone's hunting area. Basically, people loudly talk about taking sound shots, where other people who hunt in the area will hear them, so that the people listening won't hunt nearby anymore.

Keith

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7032615
10/30/20 01:50 PM
10/30/20 01:50 PM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
I’m betting it was not an intentional shot. Probably a “skipper”. Doesn’t say the rider saw a shooter.

it also made it sound like the Ryder didn't hear the arrow hit or see it flying

could just be poorly written and the Ryder saw a lot more

why would a skipper make them think it came from a tree stand?

I’ve seen them skip off the ground back in the air 10-12ft. They have to come down from that unless you are on the space station.

-Goofy-
Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7032617
10/30/20 01:54 PM
10/30/20 01:54 PM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Unless the hoof was up in the gait.

-Goofy-
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread