No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Picked up some new trapping ground today. #7044247
11/09/20 10:22 PM
11/09/20 10:22 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon
One of my good customers(app 1/3 of my business) asked me to work on a couple of pivots on this 5-600 acre piece of ground. While I was working there i noticed 37 nutria in his grass seed fields ( i quit counting at noon) -- I knowwhat you are all thinking but taking out nutria is one of my few "services to humanity " . This was on one little slough on the property that also has a mile of river frontage. So I think i will go after the nutria and beaver and rats and whatever else happens to be there ( otter) . I know that this is not the best year to trap but it is benefitting the world and my good customer plus it gives me something to occupy my mind with instead of this political crap.

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044255
11/09/20 10:23 PM
11/09/20 10:23 PM
Pa
S
scratch n dent Offline
trapper
scratch n dent  Offline
trapper
S

Pa
Originally Posted by H2ORat
One of my good customers(app 1/3 of my business) asked me to work on a couple of pivots on this 5-600 acre piece of ground. While I was working there i noticed 37 nutria in his grass seed fields ( i quit counting at noon) -- I knowwhat you are all thinking but taking out nutria is one of my few "services to humanity " . This was on one little slough on the property that also has a mile of river frontage. So I think i will go after the nutria and beaver and rats and whatever else happens to be there ( otter) . I know that this is not the best year to trap but it is benefitting the world and my good customer plus it gives me something to occupy my mind with instead of this political crap.

More to trapping than price of fur. Enjoy and good luck

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044260
11/09/20 10:25 PM
11/09/20 10:25 PM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho

I don't say this about many critters, but the only good nutria is a dead one.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: Wild_Idaho] #7044273
11/09/20 10:31 PM
11/09/20 10:31 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho

I don't say this about many critters, but the only good nutria is a dead one.

Them and possums -- but there is a few redeaming qualities even in possums

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044275
11/09/20 10:33 PM
11/09/20 10:33 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Nice. H20

Nice

Don't have to worry about the public land maggots messing up your sets

Nice

Last edited by AntiGov; 11/09/20 10:35 PM.

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: AntiGov] #7044296
11/09/20 10:38 PM
11/09/20 10:38 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by AntiGov
Nice. H20

Nice

Nice

Most all the ground that I trap is private -- i guess there are some benefits to being in the ag service industry -- i mean besides the long hour and low pay grin

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044303
11/09/20 10:41 PM
11/09/20 10:41 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Nice. H20

Nice

Nice

Most all the ground that I trap is private -- i guess there are some benefits to being in the ag service industry -- i mean besides the long hour and low pay grin

Now you need to pick up some ground in Ukiah .....Elk

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044321
11/09/20 10:49 PM
11/09/20 10:49 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon
AG - after my chesnimnus 1st season hunting experience this year - i think i need to give up on that unit and just spend more effort learning the ukiah unit. I do know of a rather large property holder in that unit (the hot springs town) and i have done some work for him on his ground down here as well as rented him some pumps and pipe for up there - but i haven't pushed on the hunting issue up there -- maybe it is time. The bad thing is Dad is 77 and says he is too old too learn another unit.

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044359
11/09/20 11:11 PM
11/09/20 11:11 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
AG - after my chesnimnus 1st season hunting experience this year - i think i need to give up on that unit and just spend more effort learning the ukiah unit. I do know of a rather large property holder in that unit (the hot springs town) and i have done some work for him on his ground down here as well as rented him some pumps and pipe for up there - but i haven't pushed on the hunting issue up there -- maybe it is time. The bad thing is Dad is 77 and says he is too old too learn another unit.

If you could land a spot on private it would shave a few yrs off that learning curve .

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: AntiGov] #7044383
11/09/20 11:25 PM
11/09/20 11:25 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon

If you could land a spot on private it would shave a few yrs off that learning curve .

Ever heard of " The Springs Living" retirement communities? -- He embarked on a campaign a few years ago to grow 75% of the food served in his facillities on his own ground. The beef is being grown up there.

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044405
11/09/20 11:40 PM
11/09/20 11:40 PM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
We trap the crap out of swamp rats. Perfect for a mind numbing distraction. Out in a pivot, or field they’re great for working up new loads too. With enough of them they also make a decent blanket.

What’s this Ukiah and Chezz stuff. Everyone knows real elk hunters hang out on the coast.

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: SpottedOwl] #7044446
11/10/20 12:09 AM
11/10/20 12:09 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon
I
Originally Posted by SpottedOwl
We trap the crap out of swamp rats. Perfect for a mind numbing distraction. Out in a pivot, or field they’re great for working up new loads too. With enough of them they also make a decent blanket.

What’s this Ukiah and Chezz stuff. Everyone knows real elk hunters hang out on the coast.

Owl

I hunted coast range exactly 1 time when I was in high school. That cured me . Between being slapped in the face with wet brush EVERY step and every 3-4 step having to pick myself back up after I found a "hole" that you couldn't see because of the jungle expanding over it, i decided that I liked to hunt where I could at least see where I was walking, and didn't ALWAYS have to wear raing-gear. I have been following your boat post and must say that I am a little Jealous. I do some fab work and like welding alum and stainless but cannot compete with the abillity or facillities that you have in the pics. Are you a n. coast or a S.coast. I am presuming north by the Dori nature of your boat.

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: SpottedOwl] #7044449
11/10/20 12:16 AM
11/10/20 12:16 AM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline
trapper
AntiGov  Offline
trapper

Central Oregon
Originally Posted by SpottedOwl

Owl

I haven't figured out how to hunt anything West of the Pacific Crest trail

Do you have webbed feet ?

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: SpottedOwl] #7044461
11/10/20 12:23 AM
11/10/20 12:23 AM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline
trapper
O

Oregon
No swamp rats on the east side the state. Glad we don't have em lol

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044467
11/10/20 12:31 AM
11/10/20 12:31 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon
One bright spot in my elk season this year was running into another hunter from the Willamette valley who had just got his trapping license for the first time this year and was kind of laughing when he was amazed at the probability of running into another of the only 1000 trappers in this state. we had a nice conversation. I don't know if his numbers are correct or not but i got my brand few years ago and was slightly less than 900 . I don't know if oregon recycles numbers or not.

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7044470
11/10/20 12:34 AM
11/10/20 12:34 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by OregonBeaver

I can help with that-- had a couple of young ones that I saved and was going to make a pet out of ( they don't make very good pets). The attitudes on those things can best be described as "liberal"

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044474
11/10/20 12:38 AM
11/10/20 12:38 AM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline
trapper
O

Oregon
One bright spot in my elk season this year was running into another hunter from the Willamette valley who had just got his trapping license for the first time this year and was kind of laughing when he was amazed at the probability of running into another of the only 1000 trappers in this state. we had a nice conversation. I don't know if his numbers are correct or not but i got my brand few years ago and was slightly less than 900 . I don't know if oregon recycles numbers or not.

I spent most of the day today helping two first year trappers in baker county. They brought 3 yotes by, showed them how to skin the first one. Then they each got to do one. Took them thru the whole process. Fleshed all 3 and boarded them. Always great to see new oregonians joining and tryed to pass on what I know.

Last edited by OregonBeaver; 11/10/20 12:44 AM.
Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044476
11/10/20 12:40 AM
11/10/20 12:40 AM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
No webbed feet. We have flippers like a seal. Waterproof hide too so no rain gear.

We’re middle coast I guess. 30 min from either Lincoln City or Pacific City. I hunted east twice in the Starkey. I didn’t like it. I felt exposed and like everything could see me from miles away, it’s beautiful country though. I wanted to find a hole to crawl in. We do deer hunt up Hwy 58 behind Waldo and Gold lakes if we want the high cascade tags. I’m not building that boat myself, it’s being done at a boat shop. I built a couple metal drifters, I’m not good bough for this project. Fishing a dory is the best way to go. It a small, good bunch of guys and boats on the beach.

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: H2ORat] #7044479
11/10/20 12:41 AM
11/10/20 12:41 AM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline
trapper
O

Oregon

I can help with that-- had a couple of young ones that I saved and was going to make a pet out of ( they don't make very good pets). The attitudes on those things can best be described as "liberal"

Oh lordy haha can't say I've ever seen one other then photos.

Re: Picked up some new trapping ground today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7044483
11/10/20 12:45 AM
11/10/20 12:45 AM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline OP
trapper
H2ORat  Offline OP
trapper
H

Oregon

I spent most of the day today helping two first year trappers in baker county. They brought 3 yotes by, showed them how to skin the first one. Then they each got to do one. Took them thru the whole process. Fleshed all 3 and boarded them. Always great to see new oregonians joining and tryed to pass on what I know today.

Man do I despise anything to do with coyotes -- of course our W. or mud dogs are worth about 5$ But that is 2 1/2 or 3 times what a nutria is worth (rather do the nutria) . It does my heart good to see newbies (i am one ) get into trapping I just hope that we don't end up like our neighbors to the north and south of us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread