No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. #7049077
11/13/20 09:53 PM
11/13/20 09:53 PM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon
Spent a good part of the day watching testimony from tree huggers, granola eaters, trappers, cuddle a beaver groups and sportsmen. I've never water trapped a day in my life. But if these groups get a foot in the door..we've all watched it snowball in other places already like Colorado, California. Washington. The proposed petition was to ban beaver trapping on all federal lands here.. 30 million acres! The commission was tied in their vote 3-3 but was shot down in the event of a tie. A great win for us today!

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049079
11/13/20 09:55 PM
11/13/20 09:55 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Some good news! Pretty scary it could even be close to a tie, though.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049080
11/13/20 09:56 PM
11/13/20 09:56 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Too close though!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049087
11/13/20 10:01 PM
11/13/20 10:01 PM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon
To close indeed, these anti groups have a lot of money to throw around for publicity, lawyers, data. I fear more and more we're losing traction as trappers in some of our states..especially my own. It was nice to see our trappers association and the president of the nta there to support us in this fight..as well as many others.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049091
11/13/20 10:02 PM
11/13/20 10:02 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
remember Kate apointed at least 3 of the comission and her predecessor wasn't any better --- but that is great news. After my hunting experiences this year and the e-mail sent by our fearless odfw head guy - if you fish or hike you will be somewhat fine but expect us to join the WA and Ca consortium shortly.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: H2ORat] #7049096
11/13/20 10:05 PM
11/13/20 10:05 PM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon
Originally Posted by H2ORat
remember Kate apointed at least 3 of the comission and her predecessor wasn't any better --- but that is great news. After my hunting experiences this year and the e-mail sent by our fearless odfw head guy - if you fish or hike you will be somewhat fine but expect us to join the WA and Ca consortium shortly.

I fear you're right but sure hope you're wrong!

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049099
11/13/20 10:09 PM
11/13/20 10:09 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Tell me what to do about it and I'm on it. Short of murder. My influence counts like my vote does in this state.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: H2ORat] #7049118
11/13/20 10:19 PM
11/13/20 10:19 PM
Oregon
O
OregonBeaver Offline OP
trapper
OregonBeaver  Offline OP
trapper
O

Oregon
Originally Posted by H2ORat
Tell me what to do about it and I'm on it. Short of murder. My influence counts like my vote does in this state.

Just bringing awareness to people and groups that we have a healthy beaver population and they are a renewable resource. Having a voice in these meetings really helps, or writing a short letter or email. Being part of your state and national trapping association. I try to involve every group I can to fight for our rights. The cattlemens association, ota, ita, nta, Oregon Outdoor Council. Sportsmans alliance, rocky mountain elk foundation etc. Our fur bearer coordinater in our state is great (Derek broman) giving our commissioners facts with an unbiased opinion. The more people we have to present REAL facts and boots on the ground experience. The better off we are in my opinion.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049141
11/13/20 10:30 PM
11/13/20 10:30 PM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
They’ll be back. Soon. Spread the word and educate. Do it carefully, lots of turn coat do gooders around, especially wild salmon and trout guys and fly swinging people.

Owl

Spend time with your kids while THEY still have time

Your life is an occasion ..... Rise to it
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: SpottedOwl] #7049154
11/13/20 10:40 PM
11/13/20 10:40 PM
Oregon
H
H2ORat Offline
trapper
H2ORat  Offline
trapper
H

Oregon
Originally Posted by SpottedOwl
They’ll be back. Soon. Spread the word and educate. Do it carefully, lots of turn coat do gooders around, especially wild salmon and trout guys and fly swinging people.

Owl

Wait --don't those people live in the cities -- Oh, wait , nevermind. I was always amazed that our trapping laws were so much better than our neighbors - I think that is coming to an end.I would love to know how many have been replaced or left because of Kate( can we send her back to NY or whever she came from) . I have had a huge amount of respect for those in ODFW for fighting the liberal leanings, I am losing that respect rapidly however.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049239
11/13/20 11:44 PM
11/13/20 11:44 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Online content
trapper
beaverpeeler  Online Content
trapper

Oregon
I have listened to some of the comments and questions from commission members from the urban areas near Portland.

Among the nuggets: The reason beaver are not building dams in the coast range is because trappers have selectively trapped out the beavers that know how to make dams leaving only the lowly bank den dwellers. (Obviously if we don't see a dam and lodge we don't now there are beaver around). That from a member I shall allow to be un-named from Portland.

My thinking is that a potential commission member should have some wildlife experience or fundamental knowledge. And preferably be a licensed hunter or fisherman.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049268
11/14/20 12:27 AM
11/14/20 12:27 AM
Mollala Oregon
G
gdccowboy Offline
trapper
gdccowboy  Offline
trapper
G

Mollala Oregon
And if it’s all about salmon how about the tree huggers go after the gill netters that kills more salmon than everything else combined. Oh but wait our worthless governor got a big wad of cash from them and screwed over the sports fisherman. There’s about as much knowledge used in this state to manage wildlife as there is meat in a toast and cheese sandwich

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049275
11/14/20 12:36 AM
11/14/20 12:36 AM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Gill nets are a lock with the commission. To much interest of commissioners being a commercial supplier of the netters. At least we’ll get a new governor in the next election.

No not all of these granola grinders are in the cities. You’d be surprised how much not.

Owl

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049291
11/14/20 01:15 AM
11/14/20 01:15 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
Get KB out of office and get you a state constitutional ammendment allowing trapping for life. As someone raised in Oregon it pains me to even see this kind of crap on the ballot. Can we just tar and feather KB already? She's done enough damage to that great state.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: Wild_Idaho] #7049301
11/14/20 01:40 AM
11/14/20 01:40 AM
Mollala Oregon
G
gdccowboy Offline
trapper
gdccowboy  Offline
trapper
G

Mollala Oregon
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Get KB out of office and get you a state constitutional ammendment allowing trapping for life. As someone raised in Oregon it pains me to even see this kind of crap on the ballot. Can we just tar and feather KB already? She's done enough damage to that great state.

I will second that motion

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049499
11/14/20 10:14 AM
11/14/20 10:14 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
How many trappers were at the meeting? How many trappers are there in the State? How many trapper write there State representatives ? I would bet if there were numbers put to the above question it would be less than 1% and you wonder why you are not wining. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049534
11/14/20 10:53 AM
11/14/20 10:53 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Scary how close but a win is a win. Hopefully there is a well put together education initiative to help our cause.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: OregonBeaver] #7049574
11/14/20 11:35 AM
11/14/20 11:35 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Good news on the victory even though it was a narrow one. The bad news is the anti’s will keep coming back with their endless source of money until they get what they want.

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: Getting There] #7049649
11/14/20 12:57 PM
11/14/20 12:57 PM
Oregon
SpottedOwl Offline
trapper
SpottedOwl  Offline
trapper

Oregon
Originally Posted by Getting There
How many trappers were at the meeting? How many trappers are there in the State? How many trapper write there State representatives ? I would bet if there were numbers put to the above question it would be less than 1% and you wonder why you are not wining. JMO

Easy sweet cheeks, you don’t know how it works here. Your numbers are wrong. There’s more than 1% here on this thread. We have been and are winning no matter how it looks. But we’re sinking. We don’t have the needed numbers to constantly fight this and prevail. How many trappers are in Michigan compared to our numbers?

As of mid October when I talked to ODFW, there are about 1400 branded trappers in Oregon(brands are forever since ‘68 or ‘69, death doesn’t take you off the rolls), there are an average of 250 - 300 trappers that get their lisc every season, there are 150,- 200 that actually and actively trap. I have to trust the accuracy of and to the person I spoke with. Of course these numbers fluctuate some year to year. These petitions are public but not announced. Salmon, trout, elk, deer and those are publicly announced and get lots of attention. Trapping unless a vote of the people, is handled "secretly" unless someone is actively looking for such things or stumbles upon it, it doesn’t make the radar. Historically the comment periods for trapping has been about half the time as comment periods for other other commission agenda items. This one was a week, Monday to the vote on Friday. Example, Fish get a month with several public comment meetings statewide in that time frame, before the vote. As far as less than 1%, out of 200 active trappers in the state, you have more than 1% here trying to spread the word and talk about it to keep information up to date and reporting that they were part of the meeting. State representatives have nothing to do with the fish and wildlife commission here, commissioners are direct appointees by the governor until they quit or are retired by the governor. Before you say it, Outdoors men and women don’t have the clout to vote our governor out in this part of the world. The influx of out of staters are sinking us, especially from the state south of us.

The NW has been and will continue to be a hot spot and testing ground for stuff like this. Oregon is the last hold out and they are learning from it. Once they perfect their technique they will start in other areas, like yours. It doesn’t start out as blatant as it has become here, it starts small and inconspicuous.

When these groups lose, they regroup and come back with more, people, groups, money, emotion based "science" in bigger/longer written petitions. Do you think each of the commissioners actually read all 212 pages of the petition?

They will eventually win here through attrition, but we’ll keep fighting them all the way if nothing else just to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) them off and be a pain in their (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

Owl

Re: Beaver ban petition shot down in Oregon today. [Re: SpottedOwl] #7049678
11/14/20 01:28 PM
11/14/20 01:28 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted by SpottedOwl
Originally Posted by Getting There

Easy sweet cheeks, you don’t know how it works here. Your numbers are wrong. There’s more than 1% here on this thread. We have been and are winning no matter how it looks. But we’re sinking. We don’t have the needed numbers to constantly fight this and prevail. How many trappers are in Michigan compared to our numbers?

As of mid October when I talked to ODFW, there are about 1400 branded trappers in Oregon(brands are forever since ‘68 or ‘69, death doesn’t take you off the rolls), there are an average of 250 - 300 trappers that get their lisc every season, there are 150,- 200 that actually and actively trap. I have to trust the accuracy of and to the person I spoke with. Of course these numbers fluctuate some year to year. These petitions are public but not announced. Salmon, trout, elk, deer and those are publicly announced and get lots of attention. Trapping unless a vote of the people, is handled "secretly" unless someone is actively looking for such things or stumbles upon it, it doesn’t make the radar. Historically the comment periods for trapping has been about half the time as comment periods for other other commission agenda items. This one was a week, Monday to the vote on Friday. Example, Fish get a month with several public comment meetings statewide in that time frame, before the vote. As far as less than 1%, out of 200 active trappers in the state, you have more than 1% here trying to spread the word and talk about it to keep information up to date and reporting that they were part of the meeting. State representatives have nothing to do with the fish and wildlife commission here, commissioners are direct appointees by the governor until they quit or are retired by the governor. Before you say it, Outdoors men and women don’t have the clout to vote our governor out in this part of the world. The influx of out of staters are sinking us, especially from the state south of us.

The NW has been and will continue to be a hot spot and testing ground for stuff like this. Oregon is the last hold out and they are learning from it. Once they perfect their technique they will start in other areas, like yours. It doesn’t start out as blatant as it has become here, it starts small and inconspicuous.

When these groups lose, they regroup and come back with more, people, groups, money, emotion based "science" in bigger/longer written petitions. Do you think each of the commissioners actually read all 212 pages of the petition?

They will eventually win here through attrition, but we’ll keep fighting them all the way if nothing else just to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) them off and be a pain in their (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).

Owl

Owl

Your reply is 100% right, my point. The more trappers that you have at the commissioners meetings the better your chances will be. Michigan has the same problem, Michigan was shot down on having a Dove season along with other issues. So you are not alone. You are right, the tree huggers will be back. Trappers and hunters are dropping off in most States. The more trapper and other people you can get involved the better you will be. Trapper are on the low end of the food chain to many.
Always remember if you do not blow your own horn no one will do it for you. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread