No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
smart/cell phone wars... #7051428
11/15/20 11:59 PM
11/15/20 11:59 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
I question for those who have maybe thought this through more. So, in the old Cold War days, at least the late half of the era, there was talks of major EMP attacks rendering most electronics unusable. Both sides "hardened" their various essential assets but the general public was wide open. The time I learned about it, vehicles were changing from points and condensers to electronic ignition. If you were driving a model newer than the early 1980s, probably weren't going to be driving away from much. Cell phones were just a brief glimmer in someone's mind, smart phone something out of science fiction.

Fast forward 40 years, and most people are internet dependent, and most access it through their "smart" phones. A whole half of generation of young adults know nothing else. Given the craziness ot hings possible, especially in the light of a contested election that could turn ugly in the streets, can one "side" nuke (ok, probably wrong word) the other side's smart phones/internet access...? Seems that most mobs organize by using their phones, it would make sense to throw down that roadblock first, if your side's devices could escape the same fate. Scale it up a bit, and its amazing what both the "white" and "black" hats can do. How do people communicate again if modern telecommunication is taken out...? Maybe be coming sooner than we imagine...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051436
11/16/20 12:03 AM
11/16/20 12:03 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
I knew i kept that old cb around for a reason. I need to find a repair shop tho...

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051459
11/16/20 12:20 AM
11/16/20 12:20 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Yes, Google and YouTube radio/tactical comms while you still can.

[Linked Image]
Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051548
11/16/20 05:54 AM
11/16/20 05:54 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
My Brother was coming into town and passed Dollar General the other day. He got a text asking how his experience at Dollar General was. Big Brother is watching your every move! That's what I don't like.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051558
11/16/20 06:22 AM
11/16/20 06:22 AM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Short answer is yes long answer would require a significant and lengthy post to detail what and how, but the easy way would be to just take out the towers or pinpoint specific phone numbers to target

Most cell phones are not as protected as most computers but that’s changing as more people’s come to depend on them more and more and hackers start to target them specifically

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051650
11/16/20 08:50 AM
11/16/20 08:50 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
I suppose instead of blanket "kill" of smart/cell phones (I still personally don't own a smart phone), there could be area kill zones (only specific phones work within an area) or denial of service attacks on specific types smart phone software if one side or the other favored specific brands. If nightlife is saying specific phone numbers could be targeted, I suspect that both the black and white hats are building lists of numbers to turn off "when needed". It would have been interesting to see during various riots, such as Portland, that a helicopter could fly over low and scrabble all of the antifa scum's smart phones, but perhaps various entities didn't want to tip their hand this summer...

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051694
11/16/20 09:52 AM
11/16/20 09:52 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Read the book, "One Second After".

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051696
11/16/20 09:54 AM
11/16/20 09:54 AM
IL
G
goatman Offline
trapper
goatman  Offline
trapper
G

IL
Thought of this one way back. First they made sure everyone had a phone. Second they can shut them off so no communication. Third they can leave them on and find you. Think drones and camel herders. That didn't work out for some in the middle east.

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051722
11/16/20 10:38 AM
11/16/20 10:38 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I hate my smart phone I hope they kill them all! LOL Just a bunch of BS I careless about always trying to sell me this or that I’d go back to a flip phone in a heartbeat. I want a phone I can operate not be operated by.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051747
11/16/20 11:19 AM
11/16/20 11:19 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
You wouldn’t believe what they can do.

You might as well consider phones a privilege that can be taken away.

When internet and cell service are jammed or shut down, cell phones are just storage devices. It happens more than most people realize.

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: Gary Benson] #7051756
11/16/20 11:31 AM
11/16/20 11:31 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
My Brother was coming into town and passed Dollar General the other day. He got a text asking how his experience at Dollar General was. Big Brother is watching your every move! That's what I don't like.

Creepy

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: Gary Benson] #7051784
11/16/20 12:11 PM
11/16/20 12:11 PM
ND
mtnpatriot Offline
trapper
mtnpatriot  Offline
trapper

ND

Ok, so there are a couple issues with your quick post, and I'm not trying to start anything, just give you something to chew on.

1) does your brother have either a Dollar General or one of the COUNTLESS retail/shopping apps on his phone?
2) has he ever signed up for any type of promotion where he clicks "agree" to the terms of service without reading them?
3) has he gone through and turned off/modified the privacy/location settings on his phone?
4) it's probably not "big brother gov" who is "watching" your brother; they need a T3 and/or a 2703(d) court order to do that. And if they are, I'd bet my retirement they won't ask him how he liked Dollar General when he drives by one.

Big Tech is monetizing everything they can on/from all of our activities, ergo "watching (our) every move". It's not the gov with whom you should really concern yourself, it's corporations' interests that threaten your privacy.

My .02.

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051826
11/16/20 01:04 PM
11/16/20 01:04 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Search something on the web then it pops up on your Facebook page don’t think your not being tracked for a minute.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: mtnpatriot] #7051828
11/16/20 01:07 PM
11/16/20 01:07 PM
Northern Minnesota
BernieB. Offline
trapper
BernieB.  Offline
trapper

Northern Minnesota
Originally Posted by mtnpatriot

Ok, so there are a couple issues with your quick post, and I'm not trying to start anything, just give you something to chew on.

1) does your brother have either a Dollar General or one of the COUNTLESS retail/shopping apps on his phone?
2) has he ever signed up for any type of promotion where he clicks "agree" to the terms of service without reading them?
3) has he gone through and turned off/modified the privacy/location settings on his phone?
4) it's probably not "big brother gov" who is "watching" your brother; they need a T3 and/or a 2703(d) court order to do that. And if they are, I'd bet my retirement they won't ask him how he liked Dollar General when he drives by one.

Big Tech is monetizing everything they can on/from all of our activities, ergo "watching (our) every move". It's not the gov with whom you should really concern yourself, it's corporations' interests that threaten your privacy.

My .02.

All he would have to do is pull into the parking lot of the Dollar General and everyone who pays Google/Apple for ad info knows about it. You really can't hide, even if you have location services off. You know those devices people have in their home so when you say play a radio station or turn off the lights? They are recording every single word you say, even when they are off, and sending the data to the maker of the device. That data is then sold to advertisers immediately.

So is your cell phone whether you like it or not. I was at a conference where the speaker explained how this works. He also said that his teenage son had been on the phone with a friend when the friend asked if he had looked into such and such a college. His son said he hadn't. That was all that was said. Before the end of the day, both boys had ads for THAT college on their facebook feeds. It's a very small step to use the info they are gathering on all of us for more sinister uses.

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: BernieB.] #7051894
11/16/20 02:04 PM
11/16/20 02:04 PM
ND
mtnpatriot Offline
trapper
mtnpatriot  Offline
trapper

ND
This is ONE platform that uses just cell-phone data...

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: goatman] #7051944
11/16/20 03:08 PM
11/16/20 03:08 PM
Maine
J
Jonnytrapper Offline
trapper
Jonnytrapper  Offline
trapper
J

Maine
Originally Posted by goatman
Thought of this one way back. First they made sure everyone had a phone. Second they can shut them off so no communication. Third they can leave them on and find you. Think drones and camel herders. That didn't work out for some in the middle east.

Leave it on and duck tape it to a raccoon. Don't forget, you can't hide you're data but you can flood it with misinformation.

Re: smart/cell phone wars... [Re: NonPCfed] #7051959
11/16/20 03:43 PM
11/16/20 03:43 PM
AK
F
FairbanksLS Offline
trapper
FairbanksLS  Offline
trapper
F

AK
You can hide. You just can't own or use a cell phone. They are not essential to life.

formerly posting as white dog
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread