No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7052794
11/17/20 09:48 AM
11/17/20 09:48 AM
Eastern Shore, MD
Rob & Neall Offline
trapper
Rob & Neall  Offline
trapper

Eastern Shore, MD
PM me sometime.

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7052800
11/17/20 09:54 AM
11/17/20 09:54 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Originally Posted by Kart29
I have to check sets after work because I start work so early in the morning.

Last night I caught one beaver in a foothold set at the base of a slide next to the bank den.

But, I also had a wring out from a Bridger 280. I think THAT's a first for me! I don't know how that happened but I suspect it was because I used some twigs and sticks to fence around the sides of the trap in the run the trap was set in. I wonder if the beaver was grabbing those twigs to gnaw on and happened to grab the trigger wires, thinking they were twigs to eat.

If I had checked that trap in the morning, I might still have had a beaver in it. And now, that beaver is going to be just that much harder to catch. Just when I think I'm starting to get the hang of this trapping game, the animals always show me I still have much to learn. frown

How did you have your trap set and trigger configured?

the trap was probably 2/3 under water in a short stabilizer. There was a narrow run leading to a bank den opening. The den opening isn't under water any more. But the run leading up to it was maybe 10" deep in water at the creek end of the run. In Indiana 330's have to be completely submerged so that's why I was using the 280, which, according to my ADC permit I can use without needing to have it fully under water. The trap dog was at the top and the wires were pointing straight down - not bent or v-shaped in any way - pretty much just straight like out of the box.

That's a good idea to figure out which paw it was and set any front-foot sets offset to the other side. I hadn't thought of that. Too bad I can't go back and check now. I may need to break out the snares for this location. Which I kind of didn't want to do since this ditch runs right at the end of the back yards of a row of houses. I really don't need to have live beaver on the end of a cable for the whole neighborhood to see. May have to put the snare on a drowner wire to at least keep it in the water where it would be less noticeable. Even then, I would still need to deal with the gunshot issue. I hope I can snap it in a bodygrip before it comes down to that.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7052840
11/17/20 10:38 AM
11/17/20 10:38 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
For what it's worth Kart29 I've gotten away from ever setting partially submerged body grips with exposed triggers, to me it invites trouble, mainly beavers holding up and attempting to sweep the trigger out of the way. I configure my triggers T shaped extending up about half way through the trap when set so that it's always submerged when the trap is set and stabilized properly. In theory the beaver expects to glide effortlessly through the opening pressuring the trigger with the chest area. When completely submerged I always set the trigger from the top down and essentially bell shaped unless I'm making an effort to avoid other aquatics. Mishaps with wring offs also occur when a trap is set in such a way where the beaver is inclined to climb over it IMO, when set on land for example. Something else I've gotten completely away from to avoid problems.

Be curious to hear other's opinions on this?

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7052853
11/17/20 10:47 AM
11/17/20 10:47 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

For what it's worth Kart29 I've gotten away from ever setting partially submerged body grips with exposed triggers, to me it invites trouble, mainly beavers holding up and attempting to sweep the trigger out of the way. I configure my triggers T shaped extending up about half way through the trap when set so that it's always submerged when the trap is set and stabilized properly. In theory the beaver expects to glide effortlessly through the opening pressuring the trigger with the chest area. When completely submerged I always set the trigger from the top down and essentially bell shaped unless I'm making an effort to avoid other aquatics. Mishaps with wring offs also occur when a trap is set in such a way where the beaver is inclined to climb over it IMO, when set on land for example. Something else I've gotten completely away from to avoid problems.

330 triggers are always out of sight.

-Goofy-
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7052860
11/17/20 10:53 AM
11/17/20 10:53 AM
Eastern shore of Maryland
M
Muddyrat Offline
trapper
Muddyrat  Offline
trapper
M

Eastern shore of Maryland
Still to much water laying in the fields here and hardly and of fields have been harvested . Only one farm setup yesterday

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7052870
11/17/20 11:09 AM
11/17/20 11:09 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana

That makes a lot of sense. I don't have much experience using less than fully submerged body grips on beaver. I have never been permitted by law to do so until now. But it sure makes sense to keep the trigger wires under water instead of hanging down in the beaver's face.

I'm going to make some adjustments with this in mind.

None shall take thee

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7052972
11/17/20 01:33 PM
11/17/20 01:33 PM
Wheaton Ks
L
lee steinmeyer Offline
trapper
lee steinmeyer  Offline
trapper
L

Wheaton Ks
Had the itch for awhile now, since I didn't go out of state this year. Decided to go out yesterday afternoon and set a few. Got in. six set before dark, and had one this morning. Big male, and not looking too bad. I gotta go to my sons for TDay, so just run these and a few more till I go there, then start in earnest after Tday!

No pic, didn't think to take my pad, and phone and pad don't talk, so I ain't gonna worry about it. It just looks like a coyote!

YOU CAN IGNORE REALITY, BUT YOU CANNOT IGNORE THE CONSEQUENCES OF IGNORING REALITY.

http://www.lptraplinesupply.com
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053031
11/17/20 02:47 PM
11/17/20 02:47 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
In my experience,beavers caught by a foot in bodygrips results from them stopping at the trap and grabbing the bottom jaw of the trap and trying to move it out of the way.
Beaver move stuff around like this all the time with their front feet.Watch one working sticks at a dam to see what I mean.
In my experience this happens when the trap is set in a run,and up off the bottom,like when using a trap stand not pushed far enough into the bottom and/or a wobbly trap.
Beaver will always keep their run clear of debris.
Triggers set on top and moved to one side helps.

Last edited by Boco; 11/17/20 02:48 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053869
11/18/20 07:06 AM
11/18/20 07:06 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

[Linked Image]

-Goofy-
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053875
11/18/20 07:22 AM
11/18/20 07:22 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

[Linked Image]

-Goofy-
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053901
11/18/20 08:03 AM
11/18/20 08:03 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
That's a nice way to start the day H.T.

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053904
11/18/20 08:12 AM
11/18/20 08:12 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

Here is a little treat.

I finally had the wind working for me last night.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 11/18/20 08:20 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053906
11/18/20 08:14 AM
11/18/20 08:14 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
nice !

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053931
11/18/20 08:40 AM
11/18/20 08:40 AM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Great pictures. Anyone can go out and call and shoot them, but the skill and knowledge is in trapping them.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053952
11/18/20 09:01 AM
11/18/20 09:01 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I sure would like to catch one of those gray fox some day Hobbie. They are cool little animals. For some reason I am always a little sad to take a red fox. That's the only furbearer I've ever released from a trap back into the wild. I've skinned many more than I've released, though.

Looks like it was a wonderful morning on your trapline.

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. That beaver that twisted out of my 280 body grip the other day? Well, yesterday I had him on the end of a drowning cable with his back foot in an MB750. cool Sometimes they say, "I'd rather be lucky than good"! I sure am glad I caught this one.

I've caught wrung-out muskrats the very next day but never with a beaver. It's just amazing to me that beaver can wring out of a trap one day and be out at the feed pile the next day. If I were in that position, I think I would be off my feed for a day or two at least.

I'm not a very good photographer but here's a pic of the beaver near the dam. This is the same little ditch, about 500 yards upstream, of where I caught my first ever beaver about 15 years ago.
[Linked Image]

None shall take thee

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7053965
11/18/20 09:22 AM
11/18/20 09:22 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

I don’t target greys because they aren’t a problem.

-Goofy-
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7054063
11/18/20 10:50 AM
11/18/20 10:50 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

For anyone interested, it took 4 days to connect at this location, no re-lure. We had a light shower Sunday evening. I did remove the leaves that collected in the “beds” on each check.

-Goofy-
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: Kart29] #7054076
11/18/20 11:11 AM
11/18/20 11:11 AM
Central Ontario, Canada
C
Crit-R-Dun Offline
trapper
Crit-R-Dun  Offline
trapper
C

Central Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Kart29
I sure would like to catch one of those gray fox some day Hobbie. They are cool little animals. For some reason I am always a little sad to take a red fox. That's the only furbearer I've ever released from a trap back into the wild. I've skinned many more than I've released, though.

Looks like it was a wonderful morning on your trapline.

I had a pleasant surprise yesterday. That beaver that twisted out of my 280 body grip the other day? Well, yesterday I had him on the end of a drowning cable with his back foot in an MB750. cool Sometimes they say, "I'd rather be lucky than good"! I sure am glad I caught this one.

I've caught wrung-out muskrats the very next day but never with a beaver. It's just amazing to me that beaver can wring out of a trap one day and be out at the feed pile the next day. If I were in that position, I think I would be off my feed for a day or two at least.

I'm not a very good photographer but here's a pic of the beaver near the dam. This is the same little ditch, about 500 yards upstream, of where I caught my first ever beaver about 15 years ago.
[Linked Image]

Well done! Not a word of a lie! I had a wring off one day in a 330, it was a nuisance job and I thought now I'm going to earn my money, caught him the next day in a 330 castor mound set. Only happened once, never going to happen again.

Last edited by Crit-R-Dun; 11/18/20 12:10 PM.
Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7054137
11/18/20 12:06 PM
11/18/20 12:06 PM
Ohio
X
X-Amish Offline
trapper
X-Amish  Offline
trapper
X

Ohio
Here are a few of the ones that are riding in my truck right now. They sure moved the past 2 nights here

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Who’s checking this am [Re: X-Amish] #7054150
11/18/20 12:19 PM
11/18/20 12:19 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana