No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Newbie muskrat trapping #7053173
11/17/20 06:12 PM
11/17/20 06:12 PM
Maine
N
Nolan Raymond Offline OP
trapper
Nolan Raymond  Offline OP
trapper
N

Maine
Hi all- I am new to trapping, and am looking to start with muskrats. I have purchased a few traps (2 footholds and 2 110s). I have them in a creek of sorts surrounded by tall reeds and sawgrass. I see what appear to be muskrat slides in the grass heading into the creek, but I haven't seen any muskrats. My traps have been out for about a week, and I have had no luck. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Newbie muskrat trapping [Re: Nolan Raymond] #7053189
11/17/20 06:27 PM
11/17/20 06:27 PM
Kanabec Cty, MN
D
Drakej Offline
trapper
Drakej  Offline
trapper
D

Kanabec Cty, MN
It helps at first to know you have muskrats around to catch. Research online what muskrat "sign"(feeding activity, housing, tracks and trails thru vegetation) looks like then on can better target how to set traps for them. If no real evidence is around a basic water pocket set is my best suggestion to try. There is a lot of info on them through out Tman - use search. It is a much used set for almost all water furbearers. When you can ID muskrat sign and described it to us than I feel we can be more specifically helpful to you. Don't become discouraged, knowledge of your target animals is the most valuable and for me never ending quest in trapping them.

I've learned enough thru the years to now know that I don't know enough. KNOWLEDGE IS FREEDOM.
Re: Newbie muskrat trapping [Re: ] #7053270
11/17/20 07:38 PM
11/17/20 07:38 PM
Maine
N
Nolan Raymond Offline OP
trapper
trapper
N

Maine
Haha, I'm new to the forum and am still trying to figure it out. Sorry for the confusion, I was not sure as I had actually put out the last thread. Thanks for letting me know. Also Drake, thanks for the info! I'll look into that particular set.

Re: Newbie muskrat trapping [Re: Nolan Raymond] #7053324
11/17/20 08:13 PM
11/17/20 08:13 PM
Maine
N
Nolan Raymond Offline OP
trapper
trapper
N

Maine
I'm seeing what appear to be some feedbeds- matted areas in the grass, a little wet... Also I'll attach a photo of what I'm taking to be slides. [Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread