No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056469
11/20/20 09:56 AM
11/20/20 09:56 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN

There are very honest words from a song Trapper....
You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need.

Life is going to throw adversity at you many times and each time it does it presents an equal and better opportunity.
I do not think there is a fellow or gal here who has not had to change course due to uncontrollable changes. Some are able to eventually get back to the original track while most move on and grow in knowledge and self accomplishment.
No matter how modern man thinks he has become, adaptation is still a necessity of life.

Osky

Trapper.... I’d add one more thing. Asking a question and particularly asking a question of solid long of the tooth people like this forum has, straighten up and grow some shoulders. Your going to get truth from experience here from most as it should be, not what you WANT to read. Being petty and sorry you asked is selfish and foolish.
If your big enough to ask, be big enough to hear the answers.

Last edited by Osky; 11/20/20 10:24 AM.

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056476
11/20/20 10:08 AM
11/20/20 10:08 AM
PA
F
fieldsy Offline
trapper
fieldsy  Offline
trapper
F

PA
Humm ... post up your problems and then get upset when people tell you what they think....
I don't usually respond to this type of thread, but this one gripes me... Lost a job 2 days ago, and need to move out of your house already?? Might not be anyones business, but the first thought to me was you were not preparing for a rainy day when you were employed..
Do you need money or don't you? Im pretty sure trapping isn't the way to become rich any longer..
Im sure Walmart is looking for workers.. and pretty sure you could make more there in a day then running a public land trap line...
Forget the trap line..... Good luck.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056481
11/20/20 10:12 AM
11/20/20 10:12 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Back in the day I landed my first real job as a telephone repair man. It was right up my alley working outside in all kinds of weather climbing up poles and enjoying life. I had it all figured out, I thought if I went to work for a public utility, I would never have to worry about job security. Then the government stepped in with deregulation, things changed dramatically and after 10 years, I got laid off. I then became a phone guy that worked in a factory or machine shop or wherever I had to work to pay the bills. Back then fur was worth a lot more so whatever shift I was on, I was trapping whenever I could for some extra cash.

Now there is a very good chance if you trap it will cost you money in todays market. So now for most of us, it is a hobby or a passion and we do it for exercise and for our own enjoyment and part of our love of the outdoors. I knew that I would have to do a job I might not like for awhile but understood that was my only choice until someone retired or for some other reason there was another opening back at the phone company. Don't give up on your dreams as life changes, just modify as need be to stay afloat until you can get back on course. If you have to work somewhere else for a while it's no big deal, you might make new friends that have ground you can trap. You never know.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056488
11/20/20 10:23 AM
11/20/20 10:23 AM
NW Oklahoma
O
Okie Farmer Offline
trapper
Okie Farmer  Offline
trapper
O

NW Oklahoma
I don't think trying to put fur up in your mother's apartment is a good idea. Your going to have conflicts getting adjusted to living with each other without adding anything extra to the situation.

It's always easier to find a job when you already have a job, so everyone telling you to find a job is really giving you some good advice. Yes you might have to look outside your current field of work but sometimes that opens other doors.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7056490
11/20/20 10:24 AM
11/20/20 10:24 AM
NW Mo
M
Michael Lippold Offline
trapper
Michael Lippold  Offline
trapper
M

NW Mo
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
Reminds me of cousin Eddy on the Christmas Vacation movie who has been unemployed for years and years because he was holding out for a management position.

Hey cousin Eddy was living the dream though, had home he could take anywhere he wanted, Clark bought Christmas presents for him and the kids, free dog food, heck I think he even got some free beer!

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056493
11/20/20 10:25 AM
11/20/20 10:25 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Tough to invest in times like this and learn a new hobby that will pay you a profit without paying your dues learning the ropes. I’d kick back at Mom’s until you get another job.

Trapping is a stinky business don’t see how it would work with moms outlook on trapping, you could be working your way to homeless.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056498
11/20/20 10:29 AM
11/20/20 10:29 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Librarians have skills that translate to other industries. When we were still in a state of recovery in 2010 we had 2 people that were librarians. They were like walking indexes. We used them to organize and file. We paid them the same as everyone else in operations. Once things picked up they moved on to their chosen field. I really respect your field.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: Crit-R-Dun] #7056503
11/20/20 10:34 AM
11/20/20 10:34 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
I don't understand why a job has to be only what you're qualified in. If it's crisis time, any job will do until the qualified job comes available. I just don't understand the mindset that it has to be only one kind of job or nothing.

Millennials. "This is my profession and this is the amount of compensation I expect. Oh, and I'll expect a promotion in my first year."

Exactly,

And - no one is playing by my rules.

Takes the ball and goes - home

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056512
11/20/20 10:43 AM
11/20/20 10:43 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
From a Dad...if you’ve got time and money to trap, hunt, or fish then you got time and money to find a job and your own place. Don’t get me wrong, I love my boys with all my heart, but they’re going to have to hit rock solid bottom before I bail them out. Life is tough no matter what age you are. Some of us have learned that the hard way and are passing along what we’ve had to deal with. So find a job, any job, and get back on your feet...then you can worry about trapping. Priorities man, priorities!

Last edited by Wanna Be; 11/20/20 10:44 AM.
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056515
11/20/20 10:46 AM
11/20/20 10:46 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
And I’ll add this...start saving money. I don’t mean a pension and 401K. I mean a sock drawer money savings (cash) and a savings/checking account. Minimum of $5K each, then when hard times come you have a cushion to fall back on.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056517
11/20/20 10:53 AM
11/20/20 10:53 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Lost job, how do I trap? Well let me see, oh yeah!!! Ya don’t! Job, any job is priority 1. Then when you get your finances in order and are self sufficient you can indulge your hobbies and be picky about the type of work you do.
Sounds like the grow up bell rang and you want to ignore it. Good luck with that. Check back in with us in a decade and let us know how that worked for you.

PS; there is a kids forum on here that may have some solutions more to your liking. Paper route, clean stalls, feed the livestock, ya know? Like chores and stuff!!! cool

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: cmcf] #7056521
11/20/20 10:57 AM
11/20/20 10:57 AM
Dunbar, Wisconsin
P
Pike River Offline
trapper
Pike River  Offline
trapper
P

Dunbar, Wisconsin
Originally Posted by cmcf
Lost job, how do I trap? Well let me see, oh yeah!!! Ya don’t! Job, any job is priority 1. Then when you get your finances in order and are self sufficient you can indulge your hobbies and be picky about the type of work you do.
Sounds like the grow up bell rang and you want to ignore it. Good luck with that. Check back in with us in a decade and let us know how that worked for you.

PS; there is a kids forum on here that may have some solutions more to your liking. Paper route, clean stalls, feed the livestock, ya know? Like chores and stuff!!! cool

Could always get a wife that has 2 jobs...

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056538
11/20/20 11:13 AM
11/20/20 11:13 AM
Wyoming
C
cmcf Offline
trapper
cmcf  Offline
trapper
C

Wyoming
Moocher!!! laugh

“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined” B. Disraeli

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056540
11/20/20 11:17 AM
11/20/20 11:17 AM
Perry, NY
D
Dana I Offline
trapper
Dana I  Offline
trapper
D

Perry, NY
I have a feeling that a few of us may now be out of the running for the nicest guy on trapperman thread. That's ok I have been the nice guy my whole life, and it's often true when they say nice guys finish last.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056542
11/20/20 11:18 AM
11/20/20 11:18 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
I'm curious. For your chosen profession, how much time have you invested in learning your skill? Does it take a 4-year college degree? Do you start out re-filing books in a library, then after a couple of years, when you've got the Dewey-Decimal system down pat, you move up the ladder? Is there something equivalent to the bar exam or certification or something that qualifies you as a "librarian". I'm not being snarky, just genuinely curious.

Thanks, and hope it all works out for you.

Jack

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056546
11/20/20 11:19 AM
11/20/20 11:19 AM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
I heard the United States Post Office is hiring everyone with a pulse - maybe even trained librarians. $30/hour and all the hours you can work. With a job like that I think you could afford to find your own place in an area where you can enjoy trapping and standing on your own two feet.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056550
11/20/20 11:21 AM
11/20/20 11:21 AM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
As said above find a job any job. Keep the money coming in and keep your head up. Nothing says you can’t be looking for a librarian position while working at the local gas station or fast food joint.

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: Paul Dobbins] #7056556
11/20/20 11:30 AM
11/20/20 11:30 AM
Southern Indiana
H
Hoosier71 Offline
trapper
Hoosier71  Offline
trapper
H

Southern Indiana
Reminds me of cousin Eddy on the Christmas Vacation movie who has been unemployed for years and years because he was holding out for a management position.

I use this line all the time for just exactly this kind of situation.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056572
11/20/20 11:56 AM
11/20/20 11:56 AM
Indiana
F
fishnhunts Offline
trapper
fishnhunts  Offline
trapper
F

Indiana
I would not drag anything into anyone's house that I'm staying in that they didn't approve of. If I had to go live with my folks and they didn't approve of my guns or something, I wouldn't move in with them. If I'm desperate enough, I would sell or store the guns away from them. Why don't you find a job that would accommodate your trapping hobby and get you out of the house while you are waiting for something to happen with the librarian gig? Lots of places are begging for people at $15/hour. Best Buy is hiring seasonal workers for that in my area now...part time! There is no way slinging coon grease in your mamma's home is ok, whether she endorses your trapping or not. Don't get so upset over the suggestion that people have to help yourself so you can get back to trapping, you're the one that asked!

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? [Re: TrapperLibrarian] #7056578
11/20/20 12:08 PM
11/20/20 12:08 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
1-While living in someone else's home-you have to live by their rules.
2-If you cannot abide by those rules-take any work available to get back on your feet.
3-Once you have an income,look for a place to live conducive to trapping/fur handling-ie-a place with a shed/garage you can use for skinning and fur handling.
4-continue to upgrade and look for a better job/ work in your field.
5-find a lonely old rich woman/sugar daddy.

Last edited by Boco; 11/20/20 04:47 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread