No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is this bird ? [Re: Moosetrot] #7056773
11/20/20 05:11 PM
11/20/20 05:11 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
That one on the right is a Caracara. I am not a bird expert, however.

Moosetrot

He's right, it's a caracara. They scavenge a lot of their food.

Keith

Re: What is this bird ? [Re: KeithC] #7056824
11/20/20 06:07 PM
11/20/20 06:07 PM
Texas Hill Country
C
Cedar Hacker Offline OP
trapper
Cedar Hacker  Offline OP
trapper
C

Texas Hill Country
Yep, the one on the right is a caracara. It is maybe a young one as the legs appear to be white rather than yellow.
There is actually a light colored and a dark caracara in the area. I don't know if they are two different kinds or simply one color is a male and a female..

I agree they are scavengers but they are also deadly on baby lambs, goats and deer. I have had a couple of experiences with caracaras and they are not to be messed with.

I still don't know what the caped black thing is. Maybe it is the sun but it appears to be in the shade in all pics I have of it. It also appears to have a larger breast and body than the other ravens.

Think I will just call it "Stud Duck"

Sit on your horse on top of a ridge, look out across the country and tell me there is no God.

Re: What is this bird ? [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7057293
11/20/20 11:41 PM
11/20/20 11:41 PM
ID
O
Ole Offline
trapper
Ole  Offline
trapper
O

ID
Caracara

Re: What is this bird ? [Re: Cedar Hacker] #7057358
11/21/20 12:43 AM
11/21/20 12:43 AM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Absolutely a Crested Caracara. They have a habit of hanging with vultures, crows, etc. They are, as stated, birds of the S.W. and parts of Tx and Florida. They occasionally wander widely though. There was one in the U.P. 2-3 years ago. Florida is the only place I have seen them. Neat birds. They were formally called "Audubon's Caracara".

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread